PDA

View Full Version : Help with barrel description. Across the flats

Kilroy08
05-28-2014, 09:48 PM
I'm toying with the idea of making a single shot inline black powder pistol.

I ran across some barrels that Numrich has for a decent price. However, they don't give the approximate OD. The barrels are all octagonal and described as 15/16" to 1" across the flats. Is that the width of the flat on one side or measuring from flat A to flat B on the side opposite?

As a teaser for an upcoming thread, I'm planning on boring out part of the back to accommodate a spring and striker assembly and install a breech plug for 209 primers.

I was inspired by this thread here....

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=25168

I've got a couple rough idea CAD drawings going at the moment. The final drawings will be made once I have the material in hand to finalize dimensions.

largom
05-28-2014, 10:16 PM
Measuring from flat A to flat B.

Larry

johnson1942
05-30-2014, 08:18 PM
why dont you post this pistol up on the muzzleloadeing section. they were just talking about inline muzzleloader pistols up their. it should raise some interest.

Kilroy08
05-31-2014, 09:11 AM
Larry, Thank you.

why dont you post this pistol up on the muzzleloadeing section. they were just talking about inline muzzleloader pistols up their. it should raise some interest.

That's where I found out about the pistol over on the modern muzzleloader forum.

I'm still muddling through the design. The current two obstacles are how to chuck it up in the lathe at work and how to tap a hole for 5/8X18 that's at the bottom of a 5" deep counterbore.

The lathes at work have 6 jaw chucks, as much as I would love an octagonal barrel, I might just have to go with a round barrel blank.

As far as tapping the breech for a 209 primer breech plug, I might end up making the darn thing in two pieces. If I was going with my original plan, I'd want it all one octagonal piece. With a round barrel, I'd probably just make a reciever that screws on to the back of the barrel and gets Loctited in place.

My boss surprised me when I asked him about this yesterday. I only said I had a lunchtime government project and wanted to know if we had any way of chucking a piece of octagonal bar stock in a lathe. He immediately asked, "Are we making a gun barrel?" This was followed up by, "What caliber?" He both approves of it and is curious to see how it turns out.

johnson1942
05-31-2014, 04:06 PM
i have 2 numrich arms douglas regects for 12 dollars each. rebored one to the best .45 roundball gun ive ever had. the other will probaby go the same route next winter to a .40 fast twist. i like the steel douglas uses and to rebore them is easy as the hole is already their. good luck on your project.