PDA

View Full Version : I need help before I order that Ballisticast MKVI sizer

GARD72977
05-28-2014, 09:28 PM
Im wanting to order a Ballisticast MKVI sizer . Give me some suggestion about things like the heater. What do I need to order and what do I need to buy from people on the fourm. Does any one on the fourm make sizing dies for it. I guess what Im asking is what do I need and who do I need to get it from?

kayak1
05-28-2014, 09:52 PM
For dies and punches follow this link:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?34499-Star-dies-that-I-make

For everything else I would like to know the answer too. I plan on picking one up to dedicate to .452.

denul
05-28-2014, 10:20 PM
Mine came with everything, including the heater, that I needed. You can't go wrong with the above link for lathesmith. He has made me several sets of dies and punches, for the star and the MKVI, and he is very fast and the quality is unbeatable.

ssnow
05-28-2014, 10:21 PM
Dies and punches you can get from Lathesmith, just tell him what machine you have and the dies you want, and he will advise you on the needed punches. As far as the sizer goes, you may want additional feeder wheels, although you can get by with just the larger one. I would recommend getting the smaller tubes if you are going to be using smaller bullets like the 9mm. If you use the large tube for smaller bullets, certain designs will hang up on each other, so tubes sized closer to the bullet size are nice, particularly since they aren't that expensive.

You will want the heater, but I have no need for the extra lube tube heater. The standard heater works just fine for all the lubes I have tried, which do include the harder commercial lubes.

GARD72977
05-28-2014, 10:32 PM
does someone here do a PID heater.

VHoward
05-28-2014, 11:02 PM
If you buy the heater that ballisticast sells, it looks like it comes with a pid.

ssnow
05-29-2014, 01:02 AM
does someone here do a PID heater.

There are several members offering one, "Kyle623" is offering a nice unit.....He is doing a very nice job with them.

In general, the PID's offered by the members here are designed with controlling a melting pot in mind, so they come with a receptacle..........you just plug your pot into the receptacle they have provided with their PID unit........it's a nice design and simple to use. However, in this case, the Ballisti-Cast unit comes with the PID already set up.

A guy like Kyle could certainly make you one, but it would require some coordination as to the components used.

By the time you go through all of that, you are probably just as well off to just use the factory unit.