PDA

View Full Version : "New Vaqueros.

Four Fingers of Death
01-13-2008, 06:35 AM
I have just bought a pair of used consecutively numbered 45s (stainless unfortunately). Got them home and pulled them apart, the cylinder base pin flew out, the previous owner had them shortened, just caught i tin the nick of time (things disappear when they hit my workshop floor :) ). I thought one of the features of the new rugers was the fact that the cylinder will rotate either way. I suppose it is the anniversary blackhawks only that do this. Can't wait to try these babies out.

Mick

Lloyd Smale
01-13-2008, 08:03 AM
the new rugers dont free wheel. What they do do is to line up the loading gate and the cylider when you spin the cylinder till it clicks.

nicholst55
01-13-2008, 01:32 PM
I believe Ron Power recently introduced a 'free-spin' pawl for the New Vaquero. I haven't looked to see yet, but if the lockwork is essentially the same as the Blackhawk/Vaquero, it's a simple task to modify the factory pawl to make it free-spin.

MtGun44
01-14-2008, 02:11 AM
Why would you shorten a cyl base pin???

Bill

Four Fingers of Death
01-14-2008, 02:51 AM
I know a guy who does it for cowboy shooters in Canberra. Some of the cowboy shooters like it because they can strip down and clean quickly and thoroughly.

MtGun44
01-15-2008, 01:25 AM
OK - I always thought the regular base pin was pretty darned easy
to pull out and put back. Whatever turns your crank, I guess.
Everybody's got a customizing idea.

Bill

Four Fingers of Death
01-15-2008, 05:50 AM
Yeah, I've heard of it, but never considered it, surprised me when th epin went flying though :)

Lloyd Smale
01-15-2008, 05:57 AM
The idea behind shortening base pins is two fold. First in a 4-4 5/8s gun the base pin wont come out without pulling the ejector rod housing off the gun and a short one that does does make for easier cleaning. the problem with doing it is it leaves less to grab on to to remove it. If your gun is tight and you let it get fouled pulling the pin can sometimes be a pain. the other reason for shortening them is it gives a little longer stroke to the ejectiion on any single action and will sometimes mean the differnce between total extraction and having to pick cases out of your gun. If you like the shorter pins and want one that will stay in place. Belt mountain sells a locking sheriffs pin that works real well.