PDA

View Full Version : Pistol primers in LR primer pockets... 500 S&W mid range loads

krems
05-28-2014, 11:59 AM
I have been reloading the 500 Linebaugh handgun for years using a 420 GR cast bullet with 4756 powder and cci 300 LP primers. The mid range load clocks around 920 fps. This is a very accurate and consistent load that has a minimal SD and extreme spread on the crony. Only Titegroup powder showed better crony results but i prefer a powder that takes up more case capacity and won't allow a double charge. I just realized that the Starline brass is meant for LR primers. Never had any problems piercing a primer with this load. I recently purchased a 500 S&W lever gun by Big Horn Armory. I was thinking about reloading a 400 grain cast bullet at the mid range velocity level with 4756 powder. I love this powder as it meters great, crony's great in big bore cartridges and doesn't allow for a double charge. But I am wondering about using the LP primers in cases meant for LR primers. Just about every 500 S&W load published are using LR primers and much slower powders. I'm not interested in max loads and heavy charges of harder to ignite slower powders. What are your thoughts about using LR primers verses LP primers in the 500 S&W with mid range loads?

Krems

44man
05-28-2014, 12:15 PM
I loaded many with 296 and LP mag primers with great results.
Only testing one against another will tell you.

dubber123
05-29-2014, 06:56 AM
If you don't have any issues with ignition due to the LP seating deeper in the case, which I doubt you will, then I couldn't see them causing an issue until WELL past the "mid range" loads. All of my cast boolit 30-30's use a LP.

44man
05-29-2014, 09:35 AM
Need to remember the first .500 brass was made for the LP mag and guys were seating LR primers and getting slam fires. Then a warning came out and all newer brass is for the LR but it does not mean you have to use them.
You still need to see what brass you have, any for the LP should never be loaded with rifle primers.