PDA

View Full Version : Match Grade

BT Sniper
05-28-2014, 01:35 AM
all most there

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/cf24a97c-d2c2-442e-8a27-5671fd7fe931_zpsd539f7f6.jpg (http://s636.photobucket.com/user/BTSniper/media/cf24a97c-d2c2-442e-8a27-5671fd7fe931_zpsd539f7f6.jpg.html)

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/9e05cc24-5e1d-4c9b-84fd-3b6decab438c_zpscc791fb6.jpg (http://s636.photobucket.com/user/BTSniper/media/9e05cc24-5e1d-4c9b-84fd-3b6decab438c_zpscc791fb6.jpg.html)

Magana559
05-28-2014, 01:44 AM
Very nice!

Gunnut 45/454
05-28-2014, 02:11 AM
BT
Whats the matter with you! You trying to put those high priced big factory guy's out of business!;) Nice looking bullets ! I'm waiting for my 22 mag cores to come back then I'll get into some long bullet making 69-75 gr!

aaronraad
05-28-2014, 04:40 AM
I like the square finish on the boat-tails.

Are you pre-forming those in the core seating die before seating the core?

nhrifle
05-28-2014, 07:49 AM
I cannot agree, my apologies. I have a set of your dies, have used them extensively, and rest assured they do produce match grade projectiles. The precision is already built in and provided the user exercises care in the selection and assembly of components, one can easily exceed the quality of the factory fodder. Just the opinion of one happy customer!

BT Sniper
05-28-2014, 11:19 AM
Very true there NH. Your results from the 22 cal bullets where already awesome!

The two copper jacketed bullets pictured above are 30 cal, 195 and 172 grains with 10s ogive and .062 meplat made with RCE jackets in my latest set of dies. The brass jacketed bullet is a 55 grain 22 cal for comparison. I suppose I'm not only going for match quality but "long range" match quality. We shall see soon enough. Got a couple 300WMs with a lot of potential.

These bullets and the dies that made them represent the progress and success I have achieved in the last 5 years making these dies. To make a 30 cal set of match die with such a small meplat and a boat tail too and have it produce a quality bullet takes...... well ......... it takes a bit of effort. All the experience I have gained over the years allowed for the success of this set of dies and it is this same experience I am putting into all the customer's dies (sorry for the shameless plug :) ) Now I can only hope they will shoot as good as they look. Goodness sake, I already got 1/4" groups from the big nosed 30 cal bullets I made from 5.7 brass!

Yes boat tail is formed in the core seat die then supported in a matching base punch during point forming.

Got a couple wrinkles in the nose that should improve with a bit less lube and a bit more polishing of the die.

As far as the factory guys go..... one of my first goals and one of the reasons I got into making dies was the 300 grain 338 caliber Sierra Match King bullet. Think it was about 75 cents a piece and I wanted to make bullets as accurate as that one from my own dies for less. I'm getting there, be it almost 6 years latter now.

BT

MOcaster
05-28-2014, 01:41 PM
Brian, those are beautiful! I had to wipe the drool off my chin.

BT Sniper
05-28-2014, 02:04 PM
Thanks Guys, I'm getting there. The boat tail should be just a bit longer, still working on the point form base punch with the boat tail shape, it came out a little shorter then it should and the slight wrinkles in the nose but the real accomplishment here for me was making a 30 cal bullet with a very small meplat and able to eject that bullet with a small .062 pin.

This was just a side project I put a few hours into last night. One of those personal projects on the back burner I work on if I get a spare moment between working on customer orders. Wait till you guys see the 50 cals! Oh and I still want to beet that Sierra 338 Match King, I got that die here too just waiting for a spare moment.

Good shooting and swage on!

BT

plus1hdcp
05-28-2014, 03:15 PM
@BT - I notice you used RCE jackets but my question is, other than 5.7, what other brass are you able to form for your jacket? Are there other economical options you are considering? Keep up the great work.

I will second the outstanding shooting by NHRifle. I would urge all those considering the jump into swaging to look at the results of the Postal Shoot which was held earlier this year.

BT Sniper
05-28-2014, 03:27 PM
30 cal can be made from many jackets..... 5.7, 223, 30 carbine, 9mm, 38 SPC and 357mag, 5/16" copper tubing to name a few. Some are more expensive options then others but "Anything is Possible."

BT

p.s. "economical" Now there is the kicker! Economical is whatever you can get your hands on. RCE is a good value in jackets from what I have seen.

nhrifle
05-28-2014, 03:35 PM
If you really want to see what those bullets will do, you might try to get your hands on a meplat trimmer and a tipping die. I have read some reports where those have made some significant accuracy improvements.

Liseo
05-28-2014, 05:45 PM
Nice work

Help me understand...The boat tail shape is formed in the core seating die by the die himself or the base punch have the boat tail shape? I believe the point forming die need the punch with boat tail shape ( otherwise the bullet cant be ejected) but not sure about the core seating step

Excuse my bad english..

nhrifle
05-28-2014, 06:35 PM
Here's how I do it. I made a new ejector punch for my core seating die with the shape I was looking for boat tail to form. I formed the dish in the end of the ejector with a lathe center drill that I ground the small "pilot" end off, leaving the 60 degree cutting edge with a flat end. The boat tail is then formed under pressure when seating cores. I made a matching base punch for the point form die. Punches were made from O1 steel, hardened and carefully deburred so they wouldn't scratch my dies. I don't know if this is the right way to make boat tail bullets, but this is what works for me after about a month's worth of R&D and many failed attempts.

R.Ph. 380
05-28-2014, 11:57 PM
As far as the factory guys go..... one of my first goals and one of the reasons I got into making dies was the 300 grain 338 caliber Sierra Match King bullet. Think it was about 75 cents a piece and I wanted to make bullets as accurate as that one from my own dies for less. I'm getting there, be it almost 6 years latter now.

BT

Yeah, and just think hoy much money you have SAVED getting there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...................hehehe

Bill

Chuck Walla
05-31-2014, 10:27 PM
Economical 30 cal jackets seems to be the hard part doesn't it. I'm no expert here so tell me if I'm wrong. Either you pay for copper jackets at near the same price as you can buy bulk 30 cal bullets or you have to try to reduce those other brass cases down to size with a lot of work with draw dies. 5.7 cases would be the best obviously but they aren't that easy to come by as far as I've seen.

BT Sniper
06-01-2014, 12:43 AM
Yes 5.7s are a very good 30 cal jacket. With a simple draw die and a pneumatic press it goes very quickly sizing it down to 30 cal.

As far as being able to find them.... well once you start looking or people know you are looking opportunities present themselves. I now have over 5 gallons of the stuff, some was in trade and others I was able to pic up in large quality for about 6 cents a piece.

RCE still has the best price I have seen for a quality commercial jacket.

BT

DukeInFlorida
06-01-2014, 09:38 AM
I saved 5.7X28 FN brass for years now. I have managed to accumulate a 5 gallon bucket full over that time, anticipating the arrival of the 30 caliber set from Brian. I have paid for some postage in the process of trading other brass for the 5.7 X 28's. But I have yet to outrightly BUY any.

My initial interest was for the M1A and Remington 700 bolt action 30-06 I have. Recently, I have added 300 AAC Blackout to the inventory, and the 5.7X28 FN brass will get chopped down for those. It's gonna be fun!

I'm exceptionally BROKE at this moment, otherwise I would be sending Brian some advance money for a boat tail setup. Please help me by buying some of the brass (9mm, .40, 45 acp, 223 rem, 308 Win) I have up for sale in S&S. I'll pay off existing bills first, and put some aside for a match set of the needed tools for boat tails.

just bill
06-02-2014, 02:49 PM
I saved 5.7X28 FN brass for years now. I have managed to accumulate a 5 gallon bucket full over that time, anticipating the arrival of the 30 caliber set from Brian. I have paid for some postage in the process of trading other brass for the 5.7 X 28's. But I have yet to outrightly BUY any.

My initial interest was for the M1A and Remington 700 bolt action 30-06 I have. Recently, I have added 300 AAC Blackout to the inventory, and the 5.7X28 FN brass will get chopped down for those. It's gonna be fun!

I'm exceptionally BROKE at this moment, otherwise I would be sending Brian some advance money for a boat tail setup. Please help me by buying some of the brass (9mm, .40, 45 acp, 223 rem, 308 Win) I have up for sale in S&S. I'll pay off existing bills first, and put some aside for a match set of the needed tools for boat tails.

Duke,

PM sent

Bill