PDA

View Full Version : beeman switch caliber air rifle

xpaholic
05-28-2014, 01:00 AM
does anyone have any experience with this or similar switch caliber airguns. I havn't bought an air rifle in 35 years, but this dual caliber one intrigues me. with rimfire ammo so outrageously priced, I am thinking this could be a possible replacement. I know there are much faster guns out there, but in this price range is this one any good? thanks xp
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Beeman-Silver-Kodiak-X2-Dual-Caliber-Air-Rifle-Combo-with-4x32mm-Scope/27944720

grizzlyadams
05-28-2014, 11:40 AM
they are an ok gun, but the switch barrel thing is overrated. with the six i have tuned and gifted/sold i epoxied in the .22 caliber barrel and loctited the set screw in for better rigidity. there are better choices out there, like the hatsan 95 powerful, accurate ,and a decent trigger. whichever gun you get , plan on replacing the scope. they all come with cheapies

bandsmoyer
05-28-2014, 03:31 PM
I got mine from Pyramid Air, i shoot the 22 cal the most, easier to handle the pellets. Very accurate and good power. Very heavy.

rbuck351
05-31-2014, 01:30 AM
I have one. I shoot mostly the 22 barrel as it hits harder. Accuracy is so so being about 1" at 20yds with the RWS match pellets. I fire lapped the barrel which helped a little and shimmed the barrel to action hole to tighten it but accuracy is still not what I had hoped for. RWS match pellets are about $16 per 250 here in AK. I can shoot my Hornet cheaper and its more accurate and a lot more power. The 177 barrel seems to shoot a little better but not enough to get excited about. If you can make hits at 30 yds it is more than enough for rabbits and other small game.

Tazza
06-02-2014, 07:20 PM
It looks like the beeman 1074 i got a few months back. I heard they were sold in walmart pretty cheaply. Also called the RS2? 1,000fps in .177 and 800fps in .22

Either way, the one i have, the .177 barrel isn't much use, as i believe it may be slightly out when machined and you can't adjust the scope to zero it, so i have been just using the .22 barrel. It works pretty well for me, good knock down power and it seems to shoot ok for me. I agree with the fact you really want a better scope, i just need to find one and mounts that suit the rail.

I did find that it diesels a bit, even after a few hundred pellets it's doing it, there are tutorials of how to clean it out to remove excess lube to prevent it. I'd love to tune it more and get it shooting as well as it can.

It's hard to walk past such a cheap spring powered gun. I do like mine.

luvtn
06-10-2014, 09:32 PM
I have one, and I also use the .22 cal the most. I bought it when I was on a work assignment in Tx. When I got home I already had a Crossman Phantom in .177 so I now have one rifle each in a dedicated caliber. So far I haven't been able to kill any gophers with them or anything else either! The Beeman seems to diesel the most, but it is also the newer of the two.
lt

Tazza
06-10-2014, 10:20 PM
I read that it takes a few hundred rounds to stop dieseling. Something to do wi the h the fact it was assembled with lots of lube in the factory. I guss better having too much than not enough and destroying the piston seal.

PowderDry
06-12-2014, 11:38 AM
I have one. I got it for the same reason as the OP - cheap and convenient shooting (as compared to everything else including rimfires). I've only used it with the .177 barrel, so far. No problem plinking at soda cans, small balloons, etc at 100+ yds with a Hawke scope mounted on it. (I don't shoot paper targets very much.) I set up an area on my place for shooting targets at a little over 200 yds with it, but injured my shoulder a few weeks ago, so haven't had a chance to try it out yet at this extended range. I have about 500 pellets through mine (a full tin). I don't know how long it will last over the long term, but I'm pleased with it so far.