PDA

View Full Version : Woooo hooooo I got a chrony...

AlaskanGuy
05-27-2014, 11:40 PM
Yeee haw.... The wife took pity upon my poor soul, and gave me an early b-day present..... I got a chrony... :guntootsmiley: I got a chrony... :guntootsmiley:

It is a Pro Chrono digital... From CE... And she even got me the usb computer interface kit... He he..106325

I am going to the R.A.N.G.E TOMOROW...

He he. :guntootsmiley:

Sweetpea
05-27-2014, 11:42 PM
And now you get the added bonus, the exclusive club that you will be joining...

The "I shot my Chrony" club...:2 drunk buddies::guntootsmiley::dung_hits_fan:

AlaskanGuy
05-27-2014, 11:48 PM
Thanks for Cursing me Sweet Pea... :violin:

freebullet
05-27-2014, 11:56 PM
Lol, good luck. Color me jealous, been eyeballing them purty hard lately. Just haven't wanted to pay the entrance fee to club chrony been shot.

starmac
05-28-2014, 12:19 AM
I can see you even checking them shotgun slugs out now, maybe even arrows. lol

Sweetpea
05-28-2014, 12:27 AM
Thanks for Cursing me Sweet Pea... :violin:

Don't worry, I'm already a member, I'll vouch for you when the time comes...

Bzcraig
05-28-2014, 01:35 AM
Don't tell Alaska Girl I mentioned this but what are you going to have to get her now for her birthday?

AlaskanGuy
05-28-2014, 01:38 AM
She got a remm 870 tactical 12g as a mothersday/birthday present.. They are only a few days apart so, it makes shopping easy if i get something really cool and call it a combo... :-P

steve817
05-28-2014, 02:17 AM
And now you get the added bonus, the exclusive club that you will be joining...

The "I shot my Chrony" club...:2 drunk buddies::guntootsmiley::dung_hits_fan:

But try not to become a member of that club.

Wayne Smith
05-28-2014, 10:47 AM
REMEMBER! The path of the bullet is always BELOW the line of sight! Usually several inches. That's why so many are in the club.

AlaskanGuy
05-28-2014, 10:58 AM
Will do wayne.... I will be aiming for the top of the defusers.... Or close to them... That should keep me in the 10 ring with the scoped stuff... Pistols will be center....

AG

Love Life
05-28-2014, 10:59 AM
I'm a double member of the "I shot my chrony" club. Congrats and you're warned!

kenjuudo
05-28-2014, 11:04 AM
I've put two down, the guy that rode me the hardest about it killed his first one with his first shot with a bow. My current crony is very well armoured.

freebullet
05-30-2014, 11:57 AM
"double member" =Distinguished graduate.

There you go, I fixed it for ya.

When I see fellers using chronos at the range they always seem to be concentrating real hard.

AlaskanGuy
05-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Well, i setup the chrony, and used it sucessfully, with out joining your club...

Measured up my 7.5 x 55 swiss loads... Right at 1800fps, and my 375 h&h rounds with also averaged right at 1800fps..... And my 44 mag bear rounds, which run 1290 ish...

I like it...

Next I will be doing some calibration with the home made bp using pyrodex to get a baseline...

AG

Brett Ross
05-30-2014, 03:26 PM
Yea, Aim at the top, but set some sort of block, so you cant jerk low. My ooops only cost me $30.00 in repairs.

AlaskanGuy
05-30-2014, 08:18 PM
Lol... Untill I actually SHOOT my chrony, i dont belong to your silly group.... Till then, I reserve the right to pick on your club, and make fun of it... [smilie=p:

Wow.. I cant believe you guys actually shot your Chrony's... What a bunch of goobers..... Time to get your "focals" checked I'd say... :kidding:

AG

freebullet
05-30-2014, 11:25 PM
Lol, and you thought Sweetpea jinksed you, lol. That posted I'd say is the ultimate in self jinksing. You better knock on some wood.

How did it perform for you? Any complaints or drawbacks to that unit?

AlaskanGuy
05-30-2014, 11:55 PM
I loved the unit... I have a small laptop/notebook that I plugged into the unit at the bench, and at worked out very well.. And you have a remote control of the chrony right there at the shooting bench... Very very cool unit, and I am Uber pleased......

And I knocked on wood, so I am very safe.. He he

freebullet
05-31-2014, 12:10 AM
That's sounds like a nice feature, but I wonder if it kills your laptop when you shoot the chrony?

I hope you don't have an answer for that too quick lol.

AlaskanGuy
05-31-2014, 12:28 AM
Well, the chrony connects through a usb serial dongle, and no real power is passed, just a bunch of 000000's and 111111111's... So as long as the computer works good and doesn't give me a REASON to shoot it, it is relatively safe... Lol

starmac
05-31-2014, 12:38 AM
Well if he shoots his chrony and gets mad enough (cuz he knows he would have to eat them goober words lol) he might just go ahead and blast his laptop too. lol

ghh3rd
05-31-2014, 01:01 AM
I managed to put a ding in the metal box on my chrony with a .22 pellet -- glad it was only an air gun! Guess that makes me part of the club?

AlaskanGuy
05-31-2014, 01:28 AM
I should fashion some sort of steel container or sumthin... Not that I am gunna shoot my chroney, but it dont mean it wont get hit with a nutzy gas check, shotshell wad, or something worse... I figure when i do hit it, as long as I don't shoot it square in the face, it could survive... I wont be shooting any birdshot through it though...lol

AlaskanGuy
05-31-2014, 01:44 AM
It is pretty flimsy plastic... That is my only worry about it... It is very light also, and reeks of overseas production.... But the electric function it adds with plugging it into a notebook, is extra cool, and I have a very small atom powered laptop that it works just groovy with... The laptop runs for about 8-hrs and I have a spare battery in the range bag.... It records a small csv file at loads right up into excel, or you can also put out a comma delimited text file for import into other stuff... It also creates strings of shot sequences very nicely also and communicates the grouping and by inputting the weight of the boolit, it also logs the foot pounds of the rounds.... All in all, I am thrilled to have one...... It was almost as cool as my first lead tester... Or micrometer.... A great way to see where you are with the actuals... And it will really help with my homemade black powder work... Being able to compare batches and see what is working best based on velocity, rather then just burn rate, will really help me narrow some stuff down as i tweak my process...

I will take some pics of my setup at the range when the weather breaks again... Right now it is blowing sideways rain, so i wont be heading to the range tomorrow either..

Ag

starmac
05-31-2014, 01:59 PM
Well the timing might suck, but glad to see you are getting some moisture, even if it is sideways. lol
I was in anchorage yesterday and was getting light rain pretty much all the way back to healy, and we have been getting a drizzle here this morning, which we really need.

osteodoc08
05-31-2014, 02:23 PM
Glad you enjoy your chrony. Shoot long enough over one and you'll join the club.

Until then, prepare to be disappointed with that awesome load you thought you had to only be 200-300 FPS slower than you thought. LOL.

Screwbolts
05-31-2014, 02:53 PM
Don't worry, I'm already a member, I'll vouch for you when the time comes...

Heck, I am a member twice over. Now how did that happen? Why is there a felt wad were the screen used to be?

Ken

xacex
05-31-2014, 03:34 PM
I just got one of those caldwell chronys to replace my shot up F1. The F1 took a few graze hits before I eventually just nailed it through the center. The new one is more like yours and hooks up to my dumb phone or Ipad. I did put a .5" stainless steel plate at a 45 deg. angle that hangs from the front guide rods. Oh yes, I already tapped it. Good thing I don't need to see the screen anymore behind the plate. The tripod doesn't like the extra weight, but I would rather buy another tripod than a chrony.

Funny thing last week. I went the the range will a friend who just got a F1. I told him it won't be long before he shoots one. After about a half hour he starts complaining about the errors it kept on throwing, and how nice my chrony was because it was catching every shot. Put the flag down to look at targets, and took a look at his crony. "well heres your problem. You have a .22 cal hole right through the back sensor". Sure enough, he got it. Missed the front so it didn't look like he got it from his angle. He was bragging about how cheap it was. Well, I don't know about you but If I shot one every half hour it was not such a great deal. He is looking at getting what I have now, and putting a plate in front of it. You might want to find something for yours. Even a loose gas check, or wad will take it out eventually.

starmac
05-31-2014, 09:14 PM
I have been wanting one, but you guys are about to talk me out of getting one. lol

xacex
06-01-2014, 02:37 AM
I have been wanting one, but you guys are about to talk me out of getting one. lol

Dont. You will see your loads on a new light, and it may not be good. I have a red dot load for 9mm I like, and is relatively accurate. Shot several strings over the chrony and my SD's are over 30. Time to look at different powders. Ball powder perhaps.

Hannibal
06-03-2014, 06:16 AM
A lot like putting an oil pressure gauge in an old truck, ain't it. GREAT! Now I've got somethin' to worry about. :groner:

AlaskanGuy
06-03-2014, 11:15 AM
Lmao......

FLHTC
06-03-2014, 11:34 AM
I hit mine with a gas check. It bent the screen strut, knocked the tripod over and broke the screen..........just a gas check.

hickfu
06-03-2014, 12:04 PM
Im still nervous with my chrony... Haven't shot it yet, not even a GC has got it. My only rule of shooting over my chrony is iron sights only! no scopes

Im still looking for a piece of lexan to put in front of it just in case.

Doc

FLHTC
06-05-2014, 07:07 AM
Im still nervous with my chrony... Haven't shot it yet, not even a GC has got it. My only rule of shooting over my chrony is iron sights only! no scopes

Im still looking for a piece of lexan to put in front of it just in case.

Doc

If a bullet hit that, it would be like whacking your chrono with a scoop shovel. :holysheep

gray wolf
06-05-2014, 07:56 PM
I have been using a Pro chrony Pal, we chipped in and got it for $94 with shipping on sale from Mid Way.
No interface for a puter, but ultra simple to use. I don't use the sky screens unless it is bright sun, on overcast days it actually works better without them. I use it for handgun set up at 10 to 12 feet.
Our pistol shooting bench is about 20 feet long and 2 foot wide, all one piece.
I put my sand bags on one end and the chrony at 10 to 12 feet down on the bench, nice and level and no tripod needed.
I set up a target 5 feet behind the unit, in line with the chrony shooting lane, looks like this __\*/__
my target is a small 1" dot. I know if I can hit the dot the chrony will live another day.
I shot some 44 mag today and here are the results.

265 grain RNFP Win. primers, mixed brass, 10 grains of Long shot
68* overcast, no wind, no sky screens.

1076 High = 1076 Low = 1037 Average = 1060 ES = 39

Same parameters with 9.4 Unique

1076 high = 1105 Low =1013 average = 1091 ES = 92

The unique load with the bigger ES shoots better than the long shot load with the smaller ES (but by very little)
Boath loads shoot under an inch at 25 yards as seen in the target, it also shows some uncharted ( chrony ) loads with HS 6