PDA

View Full Version : CCI sub-sonic segmented tests

brotherdarrell
05-27-2014, 04:32 PM
I've got a couple of pecan groves nearby that I go into each summer to help reduce the local population of rock squirrels. It is now time to start but my supply of CCI sub-sonic h.p. are getting low. I told the owner of the lgs to see what he could get for me and the segmented were all he could come up with.

I went out yesterday morning and did a real quick sight in and the tried them out on live targets. They performed as advertised, immediate death. None of the shots were terribly long with about 50 yds at the most. I had a couple of longer shot available but with a new round I was a little leary to go for it, so I went to the range this morning to see how they stacked up.

The cci ss hp group as well as the st. velocity so I used it as a comparison. These 5-shot groups were at 50 yds. I did shoot one group at 100 yds but the wind was a little gusty. Three of the shots were under 1.5" and the other two opened up to about 2.5". Not spectacular but good enough to hit a rock squirrel at that distance. Drop @ 100 yds was about 6.5" with a 50 yd zero. One of these range trips I will have better conditions and will see just what they will do.

Oh yea, Rem 540 with Bushnell 6-18x scope.

I also took my chipmunk pistol at the last moment. This it what it did @ 50 yds. with a 2.5 - 8x weaver pistol scope.

More than good enough to hit a squirrel, and a ton of fun.

Darrell

rollmyown
06-09-2014, 11:56 PM
My CZ model 2E shoots like a house on fire with the standard CCI subsonics. Looking forward to getting more once the ammo shortage relaxes as I shot all I had. Groups are around 1/2 the size of our locally made Winchester product in my rifle.