PDA

View Full Version : What'cha draw?

ammohead
05-26-2014, 07:28 PM
I drew a 111-113 mule deer antlered late party for my son and I, and 222 cow tags late Grafton Wilderness only as a party tag for two sons and myself.

AlaskanGuy
05-26-2014, 09:52 PM
My son drew a Any Bull moose tag in an area that is really just a "harvest" area.... Bull winter range with no hunting except this special draw.... Everybody that draws this get thier bull... I just for my backs sake, that he shoots a forky and not a 70incher....lol

Sweetpea
05-26-2014, 10:01 PM
I didn't draw squat...

SWMBO drew a general buck tag for our home area.

Putting in for the antlerless tags next week.

GunnyJohn
05-26-2014, 10:19 PM
Here in Oregon, we don't find out until June 20th or slightly before if you keep an eye on the F&W website. Less than a month now.

dk17hmr
05-26-2014, 10:20 PM
I didn't draw moose this year and wont know about antelope or elk until the end of June. I didn't put in for deer, population around here doesn't need me shooting one.

Bullshop Junior
05-26-2014, 11:13 PM
I have never put in for a drawing. Plenty of pigs here to keep me busy. Almost took one out in Amanda's car on the way home from work.

Harter66
05-27-2014, 09:45 AM
Mary and I drew 061ect doe tags a Friday after work 6 hr drive, nap,pic an choose,home for dinner hunt.

Bo1
05-27-2014, 10:05 AM
I find out about my elk tag for Colorado on may 30th. Hoping for a tag...
Bo

cwheel
05-27-2014, 10:32 AM
Got a party deer hunt in Nevada with a friend from Texas in area 201 and 204, hard tags to come by. Must have finally got enough preference points to do the job. Thinking this will end up being a 38-55 CB hunt this year, should make it more of a challenge.
Chris

quilbilly
05-27-2014, 10:10 PM
Congratulations!! Don't hear about ours for a couple more weeks.

Idaho Mule
05-29-2014, 08:55 AM
Ya made me look ammohead. Found out I drew my antler-less moose. Idaho, unit 8, right where I live so it should be fun. Now, do I use the 356 Winnie or the 303 Brit?? JW

Harter66
05-29-2014, 10:04 AM
No contest 358

cwheel
05-29-2014, 01:16 PM
I couldn't have asked for better, the 201 area starts about a mile south of the house, and the 204 goes almost to Hawthorn on the east. Sure took lots of years to draw this one. I got one of the 58 tags available, my hunting partner got one of the 3 available for nonresident. Slim odds.
Chris

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-29-2014, 02:07 PM
Sooooooo Sad!

Found out yesterday that I again did not draw a once in a life time cow moose permit here in Ideeeeeho.

Already have my once in a life time bull, but time is running out on me to go after that cow.

Really need something big for my 45/70!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Harter66
05-30-2014, 05:15 PM
I was thinking the east/south 201/204 was 95 and 359...... I guess I better re review the maps.

nanuk
05-30-2014, 07:11 PM
up here, I only put in for draw (zone 99) which keeps me in the top pool of applicants so if I ever DO want to go Draw, I have a very good chance of being drawn

but every year, we buy open season tags for Moose, Elk and Whitetail. Probably won't go after WT this year as winter kill has wiped them out bad.
Grouse are gone too.... too many coyotes and wolves

cwheel
05-30-2014, 07:20 PM
North boundary of 201/204 is highway 208. South and east boundary is the Calif. state line. And yes, highway 95 looks like the east boundary. Huge area for Nevada. I'll be out prospecting new areas within this area this summer, will sure be looking at deer patterns along the way. I do realize that most of the deer have already moved out of the area up to the Sierra for the summer. Won't return until the first weather hits up in the mountains. Normal hunt is Idaho, not used to driving 1 mile to get into a hunting area, no setting up a camp 900 miles away.
Chris

dragon813gt
05-30-2014, 07:25 PM
We don't draw for anything except Elk here. And w/ the population being pretty much zero I don't bother to enter. All of the good zones are almost 100% private property so there is no chance of getting one anyway. Unlimited doe tags for whitetail so I'm content. Next season info doesn't come out for another month.

ammohead
05-30-2014, 07:37 PM
I have never put in for a drawing. Plenty of pigs here to keep me busy. Almost took one out in Amanda's car on the way home from work.

BJ,
Not sure where in Tejas you are but my son will be moving to Garland soon. I told him that his no. 1 priority is to find pig hunting.

ammohead
05-30-2014, 07:39 PM
Got a party deer hunt in Nevada with a friend from Texas in area 201 and 204, hard tags to come by. Must have finally got enough preference points to do the job. Thinking this will end up being a 38-55 CB hunt this year, should make it more of a challenge.
Chris

All the way to the top of Spring Gulch Road then start walking. Or up Risue then right turn up ******* Flat road. Also turn left off of risue and check out the burns on top. Might take a quad to get in that far. Look for the bitterbrush, and pray for early snow. This area is very dependent on the migration from Walker and Bridgeport for good populations. That is why the muzzleloader season is in December. If it stays warm you can always look for resident yard deer coming up from Wellington's alfalfa fields.

ammohead
05-30-2014, 07:41 PM
Ya made me look ammohead. Found out I drew my antler-less moose. Idaho, unit 8, right where I live so it should be fun. Now, do I use the 356 Winnie or the 303 Brit?? JW

Gotta go with the lever and a big fat boolit!

05-30-2014, 08:25 PM
No draw for any deer species in my state here in AUS. A few of the public hunting areas now have a one buck/stag limit in place.
Some species don't even have a fixed season year round hunting available and the season for those that do is 1st day of March through to the end of October.
Had a phone call yesterday from my mother, cattle had pushed through a fence into the paddock where I have hay stored, when they went to put them out there was a fallow deer standing around eating hay with the cattle.
3 day weekend next week so I might get in a bit of hunting.

Zeebob
05-30-2014, 08:46 PM
Drew a Combination elk/deer license for Montana, didn't need to put in for the draw though, they had licenses left over I think.... Used to live in Montana, and it has been a lot of years since I hunted there. Really looking forward this fall and elk hunting in the "Bob Marshall".....

Z

cwheel
05-30-2014, 10:00 PM
We have them coming through nightly now, live down in Smith Valley. Could shoot off the porch, but my porch not in the zone, wouldn't be hunting anyway. Thanks ammohead, I'll go up and check this place out. I agree that where they are and when will depend entirely on the weather and if the migration has started. Other factor will be this darn drought, if any feed is there for them. Can't wait !!!
Chris

waksupi
05-30-2014, 11:42 PM
Drew a Combination elk/deer license for Montana, didn't need to put in for the draw though, they had licenses left over I think.... Used to live in Montana, and it has been a lot of years since I hunted there. Really looking forward this fall and elk hunting in the "Bob Marshall".....

Z

I hate to tell you, but there is a reason there are surplus tags. The wolves outnumber the elk and deer now. The Bob is south east of me, haven't heard any good reports from there lately. I would suggest SW Montana, down in the Big Hole country. I think you can take a cow down there, and chances would be better than up here in the jungle.

ammohead
05-31-2014, 01:30 AM
Cwheel,

I left Smith Valley in 2007. Lived on Wild Peach Lane for 17 years. In Fallon now.

Idaho Mule
05-31-2014, 11:16 AM
Gotta go with the lever and a big fat boolit! I gotta agree with you and Harter on this. The fatter boolit just makes sense. JW

Zeebob
05-31-2014, 09:46 PM
Waksupi...I know that the wolves have made a dent in some areas...but my B-I-L hunts an area in the "Bob" every year... Their entire group filled out on elk last fall and 6 big bulls were taken by his crew. They have more trouble with grizzly than wolves where he hunts... Maybe I will still have a chance to fill a tag...Close as I can tell the elk are not quite extinct yet...

Z

cwheel
05-31-2014, 10:18 PM
I have friends on the end of Wild Peach also ammohead. Thinking the 300 mag may set in the safe this year and the fresh 38-55 rounds get a chance in the Winchester 94. Within 150 yards with a 265 gc cast, should do more than what is needed. Thinking at the ranges I'll hunt, it might just be ideal. Make that decision after doing a few scouting trips. Weather will enter into it later as we get closer to the opener. Made a couple of trips already and it looks like most are out of the area migrating to the Sierras for the summer. A few linger here in the alfalfa fields, but not as many.
Chris

True.grit
06-01-2014, 02:16 AM
I got drawn for a cow Elk unit 27 Arizona. Going to break out the MSR 45/70 with some cast boolits.

warboar_21
06-02-2014, 12:57 PM
I drew the middle finger again from the great state of Nevada.

cwheel
06-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Warbor 21, I just looked over my records, it took me over 12 years to draw this area, lots of preference points, many years of drawing that same middle finger. Don't give up, sooner or later you will have enough points where they will have to draw you just to get your preference points down. My concern was living long enough for that to happen !!
Chris

quilbilly
06-15-2014, 12:33 PM
Got our results in last week. I drew a "second deer" tag for a mule deer area and Holly drew another one of those hard-to-get doe tags for our neighborhood for the third time in a row (How does she do that??). Both are for muzzleloader season so it looks like my little 45 Cherokee will get a workout so I better cast some extra round ball. I may have to get a bigger freezer . No special hunt elk tag this near for me either.

DanWalker
06-16-2014, 09:49 AM
I drew one antelope tag. ONE, No deer, No elk.... Kirk drew nothing, for the second year in a row. Guess I will have plenty of time to go wolf and lion hunting this year.

dk17hmr
06-16-2014, 12:44 PM
I only drew one antelope doe as well Dan, almost no leftover tags this year also... for goats anyways.

Got my normal late season cow tag and a general elk which is always my 3rd choice. I have zero luck in the draw....a couple of my buddies drew coveted elk and antelope tags in the area though.

I don't mind the draw system here but think it should be reformed a little since I know several people that draw trophy areas every year and I'm stuck with meat tags..... not meant to be a complaint because I like meat and the hunt....I would just like to get a chance at abig bull one day.

quilbilly
06-17-2014, 02:17 PM
I only drew one antelope doe as well Dan, almost no leftover tags this year also... for goats anyways.

Got my normal late season cow tag and a general elk which is always my 3rd choice. I have zero luck in the draw....a couple of my buddies drew coveted elk and antelope tags in the area though.

I don't mind the draw system here but think it should be reformed a little since I know several people that draw trophy areas every year and I'm stuck with meat tags..... not meant to be a complaint because I like meat and the hunt....I would just like to get a chance at abig bull one day.
Don't feel bad. Whether I draw an elk tag or not, if I even see a live elk during elk season, it's an event. If I didn't have bad luck for elk, I wouldn't have any at all and I see them constantly throughout the year while driving around - just not when I can shoot one. They drive me crazy during deer season too.

Cornbread
06-18-2014, 09:28 AM
I only put in for antler-less "B" tags(second deer and elk). My "A" tags(first deer and elk) are over the counter. It will be mid July before we know our "B" tag results. So far my "B" tag results for deer have been 100%, and I have a bunch of preference points for elk but have not yet gotten a "B" tag for elk so maybe this will be my year for elk?

TXGunNut
06-18-2014, 10:09 PM
Ya'll get tags, I get cull assignments. But it's all hunting so it's all good!

GunnyJohn
06-20-2014, 05:47 AM
Found out our results last night, the wife and I both got our deer and elk tags. First deer tags we've drawn in 4 years. She got a rifle buck tag and rifle cow tag, and I got ML White tail and ML cow. Better start getting the horses in shape.

NVScouter
06-20-2014, 04:30 PM
I got a Wyoming goose egg. Waiting for left overs to open up now.

The tags this year suck leftovers are about zip. The area I got leftovers in last year had 160 left this year 25. Mule deer tag left overs are almost nonexistant but whitetail only are all over.

dk17hmr
06-21-2014, 07:21 PM
I got a Wyoming goose egg. Waiting for left overs to open up now.

The tags this year suck leftovers are about zip. The area I got leftovers in last year had 160 left this year 25. Mule deer tag left overs are almost nonexistant but whitetail only are all over.

Same down here. A left over antelope tag west of the continental divide isn't likely. They cut a lot of the tag numbers in half. If you have a couple ranches to hunt with whitetails on them I would be calling the land owners very soon to make sure you have a spot to hunt. Not likely to buy a deer tag this year. Haven't seen a single deer on the mountain or in the desert yet this year....a guy can sit on my front porch, in the morning or just as the sun is dropping behind, with bino's or a spotting scope and usually see deer on the mountain side in some of the draws...not the case this year.

dale2242
06-21-2014, 08:35 PM
Our party drew an any bull elk tag for the Powers unit in SW Oregon.
Any bull means it has 1 visible antler...dale

obssd1958
07-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Idaho allows a lot of great hunting opportunities, and the best of them are doled out through the "controlled hunt" or draw, process.
Onceabull and I put our names (one draws - both draw) into the proverbial hat for 3 different hunts this year. We put in for a desert trophy mule deer hunt in Owyhee county, a bull elk hunt in unit 18, the Seven Devils, and an extra cow elk hunt - also in unit 18, the Seven Devils. The "extra" in the cow elk hunt means that you can legally harvest more than the normal "one animal of a species" if you are fortunate enough to have your name drawn from the "hat".
We were not chosen for the mule deer hunt...

We were chosen for both elk hunts.............

That's 4 (four) elk tags, for 4 (four) elk.........

Minimum of 16 quarters of meat (if we are successful in filling all of the tags), not including antlers, to haul out from where ever the animal decides to expire.........

Did I tell you that neither one of us owns any horses?????????

I also drew an archery antelope tag for the southwest desert area, and an "extra" tag for an antlerless whitetail in the Kooskia, Idaho area.

I am starting work on both a jacketed and cast load for my 358 Norma Mag, which will get the honors for the Elk hunts.

....it's going to be a busy season!!

Sweetpea
07-03-2014, 02:14 AM
Both my son and I drew cow elk tags!

This will be his first big game hunt, should be lots of fun!

sarge383
07-12-2014, 05:44 PM
drew the multi season deer and elk tag here in wa this year. woohoo 5 months to hunt and still dosent seem like enough time

RugerFan
07-13-2014, 02:59 AM
I drew a Mt goat tag and a bison tag. Both are extremely hard draws, so I feel like I won the lottery x2. I plan on using my Marlin Guide gun with cast on the bison.

Cornbread
07-21-2014, 04:22 PM
Montana results are in. I drew a doe tag for my 2nd choice place(about 15 mi from my house instead of my 1st choice which is on my property). My wife drew her 1st choice for a doe tag so that means she can fill it on our property. We both did not get a cow elk tag at all out of the drawing. My son got goose eggs on both doe deer, and cow elk. Our buck and bull tags are over the counter. So we can get five deer this year and three elk. Usually we fill all our deer tags and then take maybe a day and go elk hunting if that. We aren't much into hunting elk. If you see where we have to pack deer and elk out of even near our house you will understand why an elk is often more effort than it is worth unless we can drop it above a gravel road. Anyway our freezer should do well this year. I am going to see if I can't take at least my doe this year with a handgun using cast again. Maybe my buck tag as well depending on how the freezer looks when the rut hits.

smilin jack
07-26-2014, 01:51 PM
Drew a muzzle loader elk tag in Oregon for November. Any elk on private lands and bull on public lands. Now for a GOOD map of the mountainous area (Cascade mountain range).

Also drew a 600 series any deer tag with "any weapon" but the area I got was shotgun only. Guess a muzzle loader shotgun with RB will work. It's about 3 month season in the farm land. Now to get permission, or float the local river and hunt the public lands on the islands.

Edit: Just got my Pioneer license a few days ago. Hunting and fishing for free the rest of my days. Requirements: 65 plus and lived in Oregon 50 or more years. Now my elk tag is 1/2 price.

Dave