PDA

View Full Version : How good are the old Redding scales?

Tristan
05-26-2014, 07:18 PM
How good (accurate) are the old Redding balance scales? The one I'm looking at has two nuts at the pan end for adjustment...

Thanks!

Tristan

salpal48
05-26-2014, 07:56 PM
Redding alway made a good scale
. I have a #1 zero's fine . . i only use beam scales . no digital. Whats nice thing about the older beam scale . no magnets . Just the gentle movement of the bean. Yes there slow as compared to digital. But when calibrated ,there is no mistakes.. Just make sure it has the original Pan and pan support. Not that a similar replacement will not work . but Zero it prior to purchase
I also use Ohaus , Herters, Webester. all older beam are easy to use and all are accurate
Sal

mikeym1a
05-26-2014, 08:03 PM
Agree! I have 1 that has no damper, and one that is oil dampened. Just for giggles I got out my weight set, and they were both spot on. Very smooth in operation, plus, I don't have to power it back on when I check every tenth load! mikey

Le Loup Solitaire
05-26-2014, 10:55 PM
I have been using 2 older Redding beam scales for close to 5 decades and they are as accurate now as they were when new. I keep them in wooden boxes lined with bubble wrap. In use I check them with a set of check-weights made for that purpose. The two adjustable nuts on the end of the beam are for when/if there is a need to recalibrate the scale...normally if the scale zeros alright and responds correctly to the various weights...then there is no need to move/reset the nuts. If the knife edges on which the beam pivots are ok/in good shape you should not have any issue/trouble with the scale. You can use the oil damper feature if you need/want to. I tried originally to use it, but I found that it was kind of messy. I use the point of a sharp lead pencil to stop/slow the swing of the beam and that does ok for me. LLS

Bullshop Junior
05-26-2014, 11:03 PM
Mine seems a bit off. It will show 3 tenths off at the needle but you move it three tenth on the beam and the needle wont move. It usually takes a grain on the beam to move it the three tenths at the needle. I just go by the weight the beam zeros at and don mess with the tenths scale at the needle and it works ok. I like it way better ten the lee scale I have somewhere.

Rory McCanuck
05-27-2014, 02:22 AM
I love mine. It is shorter than my other scale, so it fits and allows me room to work inside the cupboard it lives in.
When I pour a charge into the pan, I usually need to give the pan a slight nudge to get the needle moving.
Just a bit sticky right down at the bottom, a cleaning might help. One of these days, maybe.
All four scales agree within 0.2 or so, and the Redding is the easiest to use, and certainly more trustworthy than my cheapy little Hornady digital.

Lead Fred
05-27-2014, 02:47 AM
I have one from the 60s that is right on with my 10-10

dg31872
05-27-2014, 07:53 AM
I have one from 1962. I keep it in the original box and in my opinion it is more reliable than the electronic scales. You never have to change the batteries and gravity never changes. I wouldn't change for anything.

Tristan
05-27-2014, 10:01 AM
Well, I missed bidding on one yesterday, but I'll keep my eyes open... Thanks for the information.

- Tristan

Remmy4477
06-04-2014, 09:01 AM
I just bought one off GB, shood be here end of the week. Looks like a 60's unit (metal). The original box says hydraulic beam. Hope it does better than the plastic junk I've been dealing with!

gwpercle
06-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Be sure and clean the beam and pivot points. Older ones may get a little crud on the balance points that may affect accuracy . Other than that, it will do just fine.
Keep looking, scales come up all the time and I personally prefer the older ones. Got a 10-10 last year to replace my old oil dampened Redding #1, at a very reasonable price. Your's will come along.
Gary

AZ Pete
06-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Mine seems a bit off. It will show 3 tenths off at the needle but you move it three tenth on the beam and the needle wont move. It usually takes a grain on the beam to move it the three tenths at the needle. I just go by the weight the beam zeros at and don mess with the tenths scale at the needle and it works ok. I like it way better ten the lee scale I have somewhere.

Try cleaning the pivots wit alcohol and see if that helps.

Remmy4477
06-05-2014, 09:09 PM
My Redding arrived today. The way I cleaned mine is with oven cleaner, the spray on stuff. Coat it good let it rest for about 20 min. and almost all the grime comes right off. Washed it off and towel and q-tip dried it. Just set it up and it is accurate! More so than my plastic lyman. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=107194&d=1402016642

Iowa Fox
06-05-2014, 11:29 PM
I have one from the 60s that is right on with my 10-10

Same here. The Redding always gets first grab. Maybe its because I bought it first. The scale came with plastic sleeves on the knife's when I bought it in 65. I always put them back on when I'm finished using it.

armprairie
06-06-2014, 12:19 AM
I've got Ohaus and Lyman also, but the Redding gets used 95 per cent of the time. Keep it filled with oil and it dampens to a halt super quick. Simple and quick. I keep it enclosed in a clear plastic shoe box. Very well made. I trust it.

salpal48
06-06-2014, 08:06 AM
You will always find that the older items were made very well . They were made to last . You can't go wrong with any of them. Ohaus , Redding , Webster. Companies then had reputation and experienced people . Not today were all products are disposable and mostly cheap for profits