PDA

View Full Version : Repair of a Midway tumbler.........

3006guns
05-26-2014, 06:51 PM
Yep, it's the motor. Just hums and won't spin. After doing an exhaustive search for answers on the internet, the only bit of advice that everyone agreed on was to buy a new tumbler, as the original motors were evidently made by a little known Baslovian company somewhere in the Carpathian Mountains.

I removed the bowl and set it aside. This exposes four hex nuts which you remove and the motor is now loose from the tumbler. I carefully guided the cord and motor from the base and set it on my work bench. I spun the shaft and found no binding at all, but I DID notice a decided wobble in the shaft. Okay, the bearings must be shot which causes the armature to be pulled to one side by magnetic force and "seize" the motor. To disassemble:

Turn the motor over and remove the four screws which are threaded through the motor frame (note: clean the exposed threads first and add a few drops of light oil...eases removal considerably). Two of these screws require a regular screwdriver. The other two require one of those "star" type drivers. The little plastic fan is just a press fit...twist it off. There's a set screw holding the off center weight.....remove it. The motor end plates can now be removed. Be careful....there was a spring tension washer under the rear bearing on mine. Make a careful note of how everything goes back together.

I expected to see a couple of bronze sleeve bearings, but to my astonishment I found two very nice quality ball bearings....and they had zero play in them. Puzzled, I temporarily reassembled the end plates and found that the outer bearing races had actually "wallowed out" the aluminum motor end plates from vibration. The bearings appeared to be fine. Okay, found the problem......but how to repair it?

Well, since a replacement motor from Grainger is $65 I turned to the machinist's friend........JB Weld! I cleaned the bearing recesses with alcohol, mixed up some JB and slathered it into the recesses with a wooden match. I reassembled the motor, tightening the screws while spinning the shaft occasionally to make sure I hadn't glued the armature (I had to dig out a little excess with the match stick). With the screws fully tightened the shaft spun easily, so after waiting about an hour I plugged the motor in and switched it on. It started immediately and ran smoothly. I shut it off and will now let it cure overnight, but I think I saved myself from buying a new tumbler for awhile! :)

Edit note: Another motor problem with these 1292 tumblers was a wire breaking from the constant vibration. This failure was responsible for several fires and resulted in a recall by Midway. It was one of the heavy copper wires attached to the frame and repairing it was dicey at best. It CAN be done, but if that turns out to be your problem, either order another motor from Graingers (stock# 4M080) and thread the holes in it.......or just buy another tumbler!

UPDATE, 5/27: I let the JB Weld cure until noon today, then began reassembling the tumbler. Before I slide the off center weight back on the motor shaft, I stuck it in my cut off saw and lopped off a healthy 1/4". After everything was back in place I poured in about a half bowl of corn cob and some 6.5 Jap brass, then hit the switch. It started immediately and the difference was amazing.......smooth and quiet, with a uniform tumbling action like energetic ripples on a pond. All the cases moved smoothly from the outside and down through the inside of the bowl. So, it looks like the culprit was an oversize weight. By trimming it I removed the horrible rattling abuse to the motor that finally destroyed it. With any luck it will last many more years. :)

Mausermeister
05-26-2014, 07:05 PM
A little mechanical ingenuity saves a lot of money sometimes. I've got a few things that other people were throwing away which just needed a little attention. I found both my lawnmower and garden tiller at the scrap iron dealer when I was carrying some stuff off. The Troy-Bilt Horse tiller just needed a fuel line. The White 46" riding mower needed a battery, carburetor kit, and drive belt. Both have served me well for several years now.

3006guns
05-26-2014, 07:08 PM
For the last few years, mostly because of the economy, I've called it a "Depression era mentality". No more tossing something out if there's even the remotest chance of repair.

Come to think of it, why didn't they design these tumblers with the motor off to one side, spinning the bowl shaft and off center weight with a belt? The motor would be under no strain at all then. If this one fails again I'm going to rebuild it my way and post pics on the forum.

Adk Mike
05-26-2014, 08:00 PM
I have one of those tumblers. I use it with 50 ft cord out on the lawn. I knew about the recall . If it burns at least it's outside.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-27-2014, 09:52 PM
Contact Midway.

I had a motor go out and they told me to send the tumbler back when I ask about buying a new motor.

Sent me a brand new tumbler.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

imashooter2
05-27-2014, 10:38 PM
The new tumbler doesn't hold a candle to the old 1292s. If it couldn't be repaired, then OK, but I would put some effort into the 1292 before I sent it for "exchange."

dsbock
05-27-2014, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the step-by step. I've got a couple of these in my workshop that I've been trying to get working. Hopefully next weekend I'll get to them.

David

alamogunr
05-27-2014, 10:56 PM
I don't know if it helps or just makes me feel good, but a few years ago someone here recommended putting some ventilation holes in the aluminum bottom plate. I punched three 1"+ holes and it is still humming away. I doubt that lack of ventilation caused the bearing problem. Maybe I need to clean my brass more.

DougGuy
07-19-2016, 10:50 PM
UPDATE, 5/27:efore I slide the off center weight back on the motor shaft, I stuck it in my cut off saw and lopped off a healthy 1/4". After everything was back in place I poured in about a half bowl of corn cob and some 6.5 Jap brass, then hit the switch. It started immediately and the difference was amazing.......smooth and quiet, with a uniform tumbling action like energetic ripples on a pond. All the cases moved smoothly from the outside and down through the inside of the bowl. So, it looks like the culprit was an oversize weight. By trimming it I removed the horrible rattling abuse to the motor that finally destroyed it. With any luck it will last many more years. :)

Hmm interesting. I was gifted one of these big old Midway tumblers, the motor gets hot and cuts off then starts then cuts off, and the vibration is really noisy. Mine has broken itself loose from the drum and held on with coat hanger wire. I think it's time to look into resetting it and after reading this post, I think it might be wise to saw off some of the weight!

Yeah I necroed this old thread but hey. Thanks for posting how you fixed yours 3006guns, I need to address mine in the next day or two.

wv109323
07-20-2016, 05:57 PM
Locktite makes a product that can be used for loose bearing races but JB weld may be readily available.

07-21-2016, 08:54 AM
Locktite makes a product that can be used for loose bearing races but JB weld may be readily available.

Yep, Locktite green.