PDA

View Full Version : 1911 + black powder = great entertainment!

Nobade
05-26-2014, 06:33 PM
After hearing other people's experiences shooting black in their 1911s, and reading John Taffin's article a year or so ago about how it won't work, I finally got around to trying it. SAECO roundnose 230gr. boolits, Pearl Lube, 19gr. KIK FFFg, and a 14# recoil spring works very well together. So far I've run 40 rounds through it at a time and it still works fine and doesn't foul out. Accuracy seems about the same as smokeless loads, which is way better than I can hold it. The reactions I get from other people at the range is priceless. Now one of these days I need to make it out to the IDPA match and see how that works....

-Nobade

freebullet
05-26-2014, 07:49 PM
Eek. Don't know that I'd be for trying that myself. Sure would watch a video of you doing it. How do you measure the black?

Sometimes when doing a rapid unload using alox/wax lube it seems as if I were using black if the wind is dead. Fortunately it's almost always a bit breezy here.

StrawHat
05-27-2014, 07:16 AM
I think they are doing something like that in the CAS matches under the Wild Bunch category. (I am still too new to 1911s to try it, I haven't even worked up a smokeless load I am happy with using.)

Nobade
05-27-2014, 07:35 AM
Eek. Don't know that I'd be for trying that myself. Sure would watch a video of you doing it. How do you measure the black?

Just like any other gunpowder - set my powder measure by using the scales, once it's right just charge cases. I wish I had a way to make video, but maybe I can get somebody to take some.

The 1911 is easier to clean up after shooting black than it is after smokeless. The cases seal the chamber very well so there is very little fouling anywhere other than the barrel. I take that out, drop it in a bucket of water, patch it out twice, and it's done. Wipe everything off with Ballistol and it goes back together. Quite easy.

-Nobade

DR Owl Creek
05-27-2014, 11:16 AM
After hearing other people's experiences shooting black in their 1911s, and reading John Taffin's article a year or so ago about how it won't work, I finally got around to trying it. SAECO roundnose 230gr. boolits, Pearl Lube, 19gr. KIK FFFg, and a 14# recoil spring works very well together. So far I've run 40 rounds through it at a time and it still works fine and doesn't foul out. Accuracy seems about the same as smokeless loads, which is way better than I can hold it. The reactions I get from other people at the range is priceless. Now one of these days I need to make it out to the IDPA match and see how that works....

-Nobade

HAHAHAHAHA

That's TOO COOL!!!

Dave

xacex
05-27-2014, 12:51 PM
Hicock45 tried black in a glock 45 a while back. Said it worked, put up a video, but said cleaning was the problem. That stuff just gets everywhere inside the action, and unless you intend on a full breakdown cleaning every time you shoot the corrosive nature of black would be the problem. But, if you have a completely stainless gun it may not be so bad besides the all the soot.

Springfield
05-27-2014, 02:12 PM
The corrosive nature of BP is WAY over-rated. I shoot BP in all my cowboy matches. On occasion I have shot a match, put the guns away for a week. Shoot another match, put the guns away for 2 weeks, then shoot another match. If not for the fact that my rifle chamber gets dirty and I have some difficult extractions I wouldn't even have to clean them then. The revolvers could definitely go longer. I'm not saying this is the way to go, even I usually clean them after every match, but I have done this more than once. As for the 45 acp, it works great. Wild Bunch matches are supposed to be run with smokeless, but I do all the guns with BP because that's what I do. Shot a match last Saturday, zero problems with the pistol for 4 -10 cartridge stages. Cleaned the gun the next day, really no dirtier than with smokeless. 45 brass is thinner than most so it seals well. I like to run 3f, maybe 14 grains fit, and a 454190 260 grain bullet. The heavier bullet helps reliability, lighter bullets sometimes won't cycle the slide all the way back. I run a 1916 Colt, all original so a bit sloppy. If your gun is real tight or you live where it is more humid than Caoifornia you might have different results. The old "you gotta clean your guns as soon as you get home or you will have a rusty mess" is mostly a bunch of BS, in my experience. Maybe with Pyrodex, certainly not with BP and a properly lubed bullet.

mikeym1a
05-27-2014, 02:14 PM
Really interesting. What kind of velocity do you get out it? As I recall, the .45 Colt used 30ish grains of BP for its load. mikey

Cactus Farmer
05-27-2014, 02:19 PM
Cool idea! I'd bet you wouldn't be as welcome at the second match.

As for the " corrosive black powder", It is hygroscopic, ie, it attracts water. That's all. The corrosive stuff in the old ammo was the primers. Chlorate and mercury were the culprits. Black powder needs a good washing in HOT water with soap if you think it helps. In my Farrow in 38-55 I wipe the bore with alcohol/H2O2/Murphys Oil Soap and an oily patch. Mixed 1/3 of each in a handy plastic jug. I use ethyl alcohol as it smells better than methyl or isopropyl. No corrosion yet, and I've been shooting it for 10+ years that way. I shot 98 rounds thru it without even wiping the bore and it was squeaky clean with three wet patches. Now there was the ugliest BLACK lube flower on the muzzle you ever saw. No lube failure here!

LynC2
05-27-2014, 02:28 PM
Nobade,
Bring it out again to the next match and I'll do a short video clip to post here. :Fire: If we can see you through all the smoke!

Nobade
05-27-2014, 08:47 PM
Nobade,
Bring it out again to the next match and I'll do a short video clip to post here. :Fire: If we can see you through all the smoke!

Cool! You got it, I have a pile of ammo left we need to burn up too!

-Nobade

mannyCA
05-29-2014, 02:29 PM
Man, that's got to be fun. I love the soft shooting push of BP. Definitely make a video, I want to see that!

Texantothecore
06-11-2014, 10:55 AM

-Nobade

Oh great, another project I just added to my "Cool Gun Projects" spreadsheet. It is long.

Springfield
06-11-2014, 11:48 AM
My BP 45 acp loads clock at about 650 fps. I can only get about 17 grains in there.