PDA

View Full Version : sidebar ( okra)

johnson1942
05-26-2014, 06:18 PM
ok this isnt about muzzlwloaders but please post or pm your favorite way to make okra. i put a lot of hills of okra in this week and expect a good crop. this is a northen boy who loves okra. my wife makes a shrimp gumbo with okra that is to die for. you would line up for to the hiway to get a bowl. please tell me, you good old boys, on your favorite way to make okra. if the moderators want to take this post off they can, but okra, how can you not like it? i can think of nothing better than a home made brew, a muzzle loader and some okra. sounds like we should form a club. thanks before hand. johnson 1942.

Beagle333
05-26-2014, 06:24 PM
I think there actually is a section on gardening in here somewhere. Maybe they'll move it for you.
I vote for the gumbo too. :grin:

(and I'm pretty fond of a muzzleloader as well)

Tatume
05-26-2014, 07:28 PM
I pick them when they are nice and tender, and just put them in a skillet with a tiny bit of olive oil. Sometimes I mix in other vegetables. I like simple cooking, and okra has such a delightful flavor of its own.

jakharath
05-26-2014, 07:33 PM
Slice it, bread with flour, corn meal and a little salt. Pan fry till crispy.

Good eating!

TNRELOADER
05-26-2014, 07:38 PM
2nd cornmeal and flour cut longways and fried. Now that's some good stuff.

oneokie
05-26-2014, 08:14 PM
Cajun catfish batter mix with added cornmeal and other additional spices to taste.

Or, my personal favorite is boiled in a brine solution until tender.

Don't forget pickled okra. yumm.

mikeym1a
05-26-2014, 08:18 PM

Good eating!

That's how Momma did it. Then she laid it out on an old paper bag for the grease to drain, and then served. It was always the first empty plate on the table. mikey

johnson1942
05-26-2014, 08:25 PM
keep it comming my mouth is watering. im going to try them all, i pickle peppers and eggs and im going to try pickled okra also.

Finster101
05-26-2014, 08:27 PM
On the grill with a skewer.

GhostHawk
05-26-2014, 10:22 PM
Grandma was born in New Orleans, mom was born there but moved to west texas at a tender age.

I grew up eating gumbo and Grandma's creole along side my grandmother on dad's side North Dakota depression food with a solid sprinkling of tex-mex.

My vote is for gumbo as well. I surely do miss the seafood and the Okra from down south.
I've visited down there and still have relatives in New Orleans area.

Didn't care much for Chicory in my coffee but everything else was super.

Bit interesting growing up half and half so to speak. And when mom and dad started refighting the war between the states, well we learned to find cover early. :)

texassako
05-26-2014, 10:25 PM
We eat the usual gumbo, stewed, fried ways but also pickle it with some hot peppers or eat the raw seeds out of any big, woody ones we missed.

trails4u
05-26-2014, 10:41 PM
Stewed with tomatoes and onions....it's a low country SC thing. You gotta look it up, it will change your okra religion. :)

mac60
05-26-2014, 10:48 PM

Good eating!

That's the way we do it too! I have a friend with a little piece of land in Vinegar Bend, Al. He plants a little garden every year. The only thing the deer touch is the okra, they strip it down to the stalk.

Hamish
05-26-2014, 11:06 PM
I like to stand out in the garden and just graze on them,,,,,,,,,but, a little flour, a little cornmeal, a liitle spicy fish batter mix and I'm a happy camper!

johnson1942
05-26-2014, 11:43 PM
this is really good and to get a post from fargo n.dak. thats where i grew up and my daughter teaches school their. i love to grow okra as well as eat it. also is very healthy for you. high in silica which is good for bone and teeth and the lungs. their is a rancher who live 3 miles from me whose wife pickles everything. hers is the best their is. im going to get her recipe.

duke76
05-27-2014, 08:29 AM
I grow it also and I always pickle it, love pickled Okra, pick when about the length of a pint pickle jar, I use Mrs. wages spicy pickle mix, last year I did over 100 pints, I also like it fried but only did that a couple times. Todd

Urny
05-27-2014, 08:40 AM
The guys who vote for slice, flour, cornmeal, salt, and fry have my vote. Mom cooked it that way and there is none better.

alleyoop
05-27-2014, 08:54 AM
Boiled whole with Purple hull peas, any kinda peas really !

scarry scarney
05-29-2014, 02:53 PM
Cornmeal and Fry, ummm good. I never tried slicing long ways. Next time I fix them, I'll try it that way.

I never have any luck growing them, but they are at the farmers market here. So, I buy fresh every week.

Dixiejack
05-29-2014, 08:24 PM
I batter and fry them. meal and fry them. cook okra and tomatoes. cook okra whole in peas and beans and corn (creamed corn or on the cob). gumbo. jambalyia, Brunswick stew. pickled okra with red hot peppers. slice 'em and cook them in cornbread with sliced jalapino peppers, cut up in corn bread salad.

Dixiejack
05-29-2014, 08:33 PM
Cornmeal and Fry, ummm good. I never tried slicing long ways. Next time I fix them, I'll try it that way.

I never have any luck growing them, but they are at the farmers market here. So, I buy fresh every week.

I still don't believe this happened, but our yard maintenance crew was at the house one day and I was working in my garden. One of the yard men came over and we got to talking about my garden. He commented on my okra and how bad it looked. I agreed. He picked up a piece of a cane pole I was going to use as a tomato stake and started beating my okra plants. I asked him why he was doing that and he said if you want them to grow you got to "Whup 'em". Sure enough I had the best okra crop ever.

The Dove
06-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Fried okra over a bed of black eyed peas! Don't get much better than that..... Unless you have some fresh home made corn bread along with it!

farmerjim
06-02-2014, 12:13 PM
Cut, fish fry mix breaded, then deep fried. I am picking a quart every other day. What I don't eat goes to the farmers market.

NVScouter
06-02-2014, 01:08 PM
I must be too far West to enjoy it. I've had it dozens of times but its Ok at best with a wierd consistancy. Fried or gumbo is the only way I can hadle the slimy stuff.

WARD O
06-02-2014, 03:06 PM
On the grill with a skewer.

I tried this last night and was very pleased! Lightly with oil and hit it with your favorite seasoning - or just salt and pepper. I did three minutes on a side and it was very tasty. I will try this again branching out on the seasoning a bit.

ward

twc1964
06-04-2014, 08:20 PM
I luv that fried okra but for some reason, everytime i stew or boil it id swear my wife threw some x-lax in with it! pickled is my favorite though. i plan to make quite a few jars this fall.

DLCTEX
06-04-2014, 11:29 PM
My wife does okra in a number of ways. Two that haven't been mentioned - bread and fry okra and just before serving toss with chopped tomatoes and onion.. serve while okra is hot and don't let it sit long. Second is to chop bacon and onion, stir fry with salt and pepper until bacon is crispy, pour off grease, add chopped tomatoes and okra, cover and steam until tender.

AlaskanGuy
06-05-2014, 12:05 AM
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww... Give me Fish Head soup and Herring eggs any day... you can have that okra... :P

:groner:

starmac
06-05-2014, 12:35 AM
Pick them while they are still tender, slice them crossways in a little less than 1/2 in pieces, put a little cornmeal in a bag add sliced okra, shake it up and fry it. I sometimes (usually) add some onions and often fry it right with squash prepared the same way except sliced thinner. This is good for breakfast lunch and dinner, 7 days a week. lol

I can not handle them boiled, stewed, fried in a heavy batter like the restaurants do and especially pickled, but love them home fried.

For the extra, you have, you can prepare them in cornmeal like this, then freeze in ziplock bags and keep all year. I always had okra all year until I moved to Ak, and you can't grow it here, or even buy it. GROAN.

My daughter is going to try to overnight me some from florida as soon as hers is ready to pick this year. We will see how that works out.

starmac
06-05-2014, 01:06 AM
Oh yea Akguy, them fish heads are only good for to make the rou for the gumbo, to put little okra in. lol They are allso good to bury in the garden to fertilize the okra. lol

AlaskanGuy
06-05-2014, 03:06 AM
Double :groner:

Only :redneck: eat okra... :kidding:

shooterbob
06-05-2014, 04:29 AM
I pickle okra every year. Absolute best way to eat it. I use a homemade chili pequin vinegar blend to make them spicy. Add garlic, dill, and salt and I just heat my vinegar to boiling and.pour it over them in mason jars and wait about a week. Tasty

gwpercle
06-06-2014, 05:03 PM
Simmer down a pot of sliced okra with tomatoes, onions, bell pepper, celery and garlic. During the last 15 minutes add a pound of peeled shrimp. Serve with French bread.

Okra is real easy to freeze. Slice it into a freezer bag and pop in the freezer. That's all you need to do. I'm just now using the last of last years crop.
Gary

starmac
06-09-2014, 02:28 AM
Well I planted a few okra plants. I have always been told that you couldn't grow it here, and have never seen or heard of anybody growing it, but I was picking up some pepper plants at the nursery, and they had okra too. I ask if it would grow here, and there answer was everything they sold would grow here. I maybe should have ask if it would produce here. lol I picked up some of two different varieties that they had, to test it out.

MaryB
06-10-2014, 12:23 AM
I have grown okra in Minnesota so I imagine it might do okay there.

StrawHat
06-10-2014, 06:22 AM
I enjoy growing okra. It has a beautigful flower and the hummingbirds seem to enjoy it also. My wife has me pick the pods and I am sure it makes its way into our sauces but I am not a big fan of the pod itself. The mother-ex-law used to cook it until it resembled a big pot of snot and they all seemed to enjoy it. Not for me.

I still raise a bed of it each year to enjoy the flowers.