PDA

View Full Version : Gewehr 1888s for sale

bruce drake
09-10-2005, 08:35 PM
I am cleaning out my gunlocker and I have two German Commission Rifles for sale together. One is an 1895 Spandau Arsenal GEW88 S' that has been rechambered for the modern 8mm Mauser cartridge. The other is a Steyr 1891 (very faint markings)GEW 88 that has not been modified and still fires the older .318 diameter bullet.

The Spandau Arsenal rifle is in firing order and is 98% complete. It is missing the rear sight slide (tough to get I know but not a major issue for 100-200 yard shoots) but has the original 100yd and 300yd flip-up sight leafs. It is also missing the rear barrel band's spring keeper but a replacement is available from Numrich for $5.

I used the Steyr's bolt for the Spandau's headspace check and it passed with the Field Guage. The Steyr rifle itself passed with the GO Guage with it's original bolt. You decide which rifle it goes in. I chose the Spandau because I could use my standard 8mm Mauser dies and brass. The bolt is the first model design which completely encloses the rim of the cartridge case. The Ejector is present and functions in the bolt.

The Stock of the Steyr (parts rifle) has been cutdown by a Bubba in the past (in front of the rear barrel band) but the Spandau's stock is complete with a small piece taken out the left side of the front portion of the stock along the barrel jacket. Considering the age of the rifle and the decades it probably served in bayonet drill it is in great shape.

I also have one 5 round en-bloc reproduction clip from Numrich to allow you to use them as repeaters. I'll throw that in for free.

I have fired both safely. The Spandau with commercial Remington 8mm ammunition and cast 170gr Lees and the Steyr with cast lead .320dia bullets. But, since they are both antiques I would advise limited shooting for both.

I can quickly provide pictures in a Zipped format (.jpg files) if people are interested.

Since they are antiques, I do not require an FFL for purchase but if you are licensed, please send a copy for my book just in case the ATF are freaks on my next audit. If you don't have an FFL, send me a copy of your driver's license if it doesn't have your Social Security number on it.

I take Money Orders or Checks. Shipment delayed until the check clears. Rifles shipped immediately upon reciept of a Money Order.

Oh, and price for both rifles (consider the Steyr as spare parts. You'll save money in the long run to have replacement parts already on-hand.)

$175 plus $25 shipping

shipping price removed if you decide to pick it up yourself. (With today's gas prices that limits that to people living in Upstate NY pretty much)

Bruce Drake
Watertown NY
cptbdrake@aol.com

bruce drake
09-25-2005, 06:54 PM
Item sold and delivered. THanks to everyone's interest.