PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 336 addition:) my first 30-30!!

pull the trigger
05-26-2014, 04:13 PM
I have been wanting a straight stock 30-30 marlin forever now. And I could not find one local. And I have been chicken to buy off the gunbroker. Well I finally manned up and bought one off GB. It is a '77 model and looks great in the pics. I am way past anxious to get this thing home!! I have never had a 30-30 before and need to get some brass. Does the brass last in these? I have read it is pretty thin. I won't be loading it hot at all. It has a scope mount on it and I am considering putting an old fixed power on it but I dont know. Man an I excited!

TXGunNut
05-26-2014, 05:07 PM
Congrats! Brass seems to be doing OK in my Marlins but there are factors that can shorten case life besides warm loads. Nice thing is come deer season (actually pre-season sight-in) there's plenty of once-fired brass available. All my Marlins have optics but that's because my eyes don't do well with buckhorn sights.
When do you expect it to arrive?

JWFilips
05-26-2014, 05:12 PM
Brass seems to last very well ( I do anneal the case necks However) Most recommend a FL sizing die but a bunch of folks including myself use a lee collet necksizer die They work well in the 336 ...your cases will last !

pull the trigger
05-26-2014, 10:30 PM
I was hoping they would have a high quality chamber and not need the full length resizing. I dont expect it to take too long to get here but you never know. I am really chompin at the bit though! JW what are you doing to anneal your cases?

Bullshop Junior
05-26-2014, 11:11 PM
I only neck size my 30/30s...well technically 32 specials.....brass last a decent amount of time.

crazy mark
05-26-2014, 11:52 PM
pull the trigger, Them straight stocked Marlins are dangerous. You need to send it to me so I can make sure it is safe. Good find as they are really nice levers. They are called Texans by the way. I don't anneal cases but keep them separated and neck size only as I have way too many different 30-30's. Of course I have been collecting brass for over 25 years.

boho
05-28-2014, 01:00 AM
I'm kinda on the fence about this " you have to FL size 30-30 brass for lever guns". A lot of guys that know a lot more about reloading than me say you need to, but I have put many rounds together with a Lee loader with zero issues! My 336 has a 4x scope with the Weaver peek under mounts. I can look through the iron sights for shots less than 50yds or poor lighting. Congrats I bet your gonna love your new addition.

crazy mark
05-28-2014, 02:13 AM
Boho, If shot in the same gun it's not a problem. I know people who back their dies off at least 1/2 a turn so they don't set the neck back. those see thru sights can be more trouble than they are worth. IMHO the set the scope too high over the bore. I bought one set up that way and after one range session I went back to regular scope mounts.

44man
05-28-2014, 07:39 AM
First thing I do when a guy brings a gun for a scope change is to toss the see through rings.
My die is backed out just enough so cases chamber. Brass grows a little when shot is all.
Marlin screwed up when they stopped making the .22 Mounty, Best little lever gun ever.

pull the trigger
05-28-2014, 12:16 PM
I want one of those mounties as well. Saw one at a gun show for $600 but the stock was real loose on the grip and had a few rusty spots. I want one but couldnt spend that much on that one.

Nicholas
05-28-2014, 01:55 PM
I have a T model with their centennial medallion. Shoots jacketed like a top and done in several deer. I topped it with a Weaver 1x3 variable scope. This is true 1x at low setting and allows shooting with both eyes open. The top end is sufficient for hunting at reasonable distance for this caliber. I also neck size by backing off the sizing die. I do not max load because of the lock up of the bolt allows case stretch, shortening case life. Extended use of cases has not been necessary because of unintentional generosity of shooters at the local range. This is the most common brass after 223 to be discarded in once fired condition.

Oh yeah, you will love shooting this rifle.

pull the trigger
06-04-2014, 08:02 PM
Well here she is. Looks great and feels great. Have not shot her yet as I didn't want to buy ammo and need to get some brass. I can not decide if I want to use the scope mount or take it off. I dont care for the looks of lever with a scope and after all, this is a fashion show isn't it?:)

Bullshop Junior
06-04-2014, 08:03 PM
I'm kinda on the fence about this " you have to FL size 30-30 brass for lever guns". A lot of guys that know a lot more about reloading than me say you need to, but I have put many rounds together with a Lee loader with zero issues! My 336 has a 4x scope with the Weaver peek under mounts. I can look through the iron sights for shots less than 50yds or poor lighting. Congrats I bet your gonna love your new addition.

I've never FL sized a case for a lever.

marvelshooter
06-04-2014, 08:13 PM
Well here she is.
I can't get the picture to open. A message says " invalid attachment"

pull the trigger
06-04-2014, 10:05 PM
I dont know why it is an attachment. I tried one in the test thread and it worked fine

pull the trigger
06-05-2014, 05:54 AM
Tra again107124

Wayne Smith
06-05-2014, 08:11 AM
For some reason no attachments open any more.

MrWolf
06-05-2014, 08:56 AM
I can't see it either. Last time I went to add pictures they went right into the post and not as an attachment.

pull the trigger
06-05-2014, 11:38 AM
Is in the test area

trapper9260
06-06-2014, 04:52 AM
I got a 336 30-30 not long ago from a gunsmith I know and brand new and is dead on and I use open site on it.When I ask him about it he look up his supplyer and had it on the way I love it.I have look on GB at first is when i talk with him after and he was able to get one for me for less then the one on GB but the one on GB look like the one my dad had years ago.he gave it to my ex brother in law that trade it off later.I do not want to get not it any more about it.I did notice about the gun that the chamber is tight I use the Lee factory crimp die on it and took care of the feeding problem I had. I had to do the same for my 44mg marlin also I got from someone I know[. The rounds for the 44 mag that work in my Redhawk did not feed well in my Marlin so I got the Lee die and took care of the problem.I do FL size the brass.The brass i had for years when I started to use it it was splitting and so I heat treat it and took care of the problem.

bandmiller2
06-09-2014, 08:08 AM
Trigger guy, I've never bought 30-30 brass our range is littered with it especially just before bambi season. Shoot mine in a 94 but same thing I back off the size die until it just fits, no overworking. Hunting loads you full size. Frank C.

pull the trigger
06-10-2014, 02:06 PM
I dont belong to any gun clubs. MaybeI should join one cor the brass. :)