PDA

View Full Version : GC shank too small - options?

mac60
05-25-2014, 11:25 PM
I bought some .44 cal. aluminum checks a while back and finally got around to casting today. Lee mould 430-310-RF. They're dropping .432-.4325 and I'm sizing to .430 in a Lyman 450 with a Lyman die. I'm casting straight ww (water dropped). A little homework revealed that the shank should be .402-.403 or thereabouts. The shank on my boolits is measuring .396-.3965 (WAY out of spec. right?). The mould is casting good boolits and they drop right out when opened. Would a Hornady copper check or a gator check work on a shank this small?

Ben
05-25-2014, 11:40 PM
You've always got the option of returning the mold to LEE with 2 to 3 bullets. They will most likely send you another mold.

If you'd like to do the work yourself, It wouldn't be very hard to open the g/c shank up. It can be done with a wooden dowel and some 220 grit paper.

Go slow with the removal of metal in the g/c area of the mold , cast a few & check the dia. of the g/c shank of the " new bullets " with your mike.

Keep this technique up until you get the desired dia. you are looking for with your alloy.

Ben

mac60
05-26-2014, 12:00 AM
Have you done this Ben? How do I go about it? I'm thinking maybe a 3/8" dowel with maybe a single wrap of 220 paper? I might try it. I'm not a very patient man and I'd rather do something for myself.

glockky
05-26-2014, 01:21 AM
Contact Sagebrush7 on here. He sent me a sample of some checks he makes and I will definitely be order more.

I size to .431 in my 44 revolver and could not get the gas check to not spin on the base of my bullets. He has an aluminum check that is a little thicker that crimps on great. I had the same problem with the lee 430-310rf

mac60
05-26-2014, 04:18 PM
Well, I went ahead and lapped the gc shank to .402". The checks I have crimp on tighter than dick's hat band. I wish I would have waited though. I didn't know about those checks (he uses .019 thickness material for them) until I had already worked on the mould. I plan on getting a 6 cavity mould for that same boolit. I'll be using those thicker checks for sure. Oh, thanks Ben it worked out well.

Ben
05-26-2014, 06:20 PM
Well, I went ahead and lapped the gc shank to .402". The checks I have crimp on tighter than dick's hat band. I wish I would have waited though. I didn't know about those checks (he uses .019 thickness material for them) until I had already worked on the mould. I plan on getting a 6 cavity mould for that same boolit. I'll be using those thicker checks for sure. Oh, thanks Ben it worked out well.

I was out casting this afternoon. Seems I missed your earlier question on the " How to " of thing.

Sounds like you conquered it just fine.

Great Work,

Ben