PDA

View Full Version : Ruger only 45acp??

azrednek
05-25-2014, 08:57 PM
Has anybody tried running hot 45 ACP loads in a Ruger 45 Convertible revolver?? If yes can you please give the details.

I shot some 225 SWC with 6.0 grs of Bullseye with no ill effect, the brass was easily ejected and primers looked ok. I shot up 12 and was considering upping it to 6.5 and try another dozen.

I know the possible hazard of mixing them up and the easiest solution would be to load 45 Colts.

Outpost75
05-25-2014, 10:10 PM
I shoot heavy .45 ACP loads in mine, but for obvious reasons would not share the data on a public forum. There are better powders for this purpose than Bullseye. My hunting loads give 1050 fps from a 4-5/8" Blackhawk and 260-grain cast in .45 ACP case with Federal 200 small rifle primer, using #2400 or H110. These are "frame crackers" in a 1911.

L Ross
05-25-2014, 10:26 PM
I shoot 452424's with 6.0 gr. of Unique in a FA Model 97 with the acp cylinder. Sort of my 45 Colt equivalent load. I hardly bother with the Colt cylinder anymore.

dubber123
05-26-2014, 10:13 AM
I ran some healthy loads with Power Pistol through my 625 S&W, and never saw the first sign of an issue. It's another project I need to pick up on again, but it showed me that in a strong revolver, the ACP can make quite respectable power. Your Blackhawk is a perfect platform for hot ACP loads ion my opinion.

TXGunNut
05-26-2014, 11:19 AM
Always heard the 45acp case wouldn't stand elevated loads like these, so much for conventional wisdom. ;-)
I think if I loaded some like these described above for the strong Ruger revolver I'd mark them with a Sharpie so they wouldn't find their way into my 1911.

Outpost75
05-26-2014, 11:45 AM
Always heard the 45acp case wouldn't stand elevated loads like these, so much for conventional wisdom. ;-) I think if I loaded some like these described above for the strong Ruger revolver I'd mark them with a Sharpie so they wouldn't find their way into my 1911.

THAT is the reason for my using small primer pocket brass with rifle primers in the Ruger.
Cartridge OAL is also too long to fit into an M1911 pistol magazine (1.30") and forepart of bullet fits cylinder throats, but will not chamber in M1911 pistol, so easy to keep separate for Ruger and converted Marlin lsvergun only.

TXGunNut
05-26-2014, 12:37 PM
I KNEW there had to be a use for those SP 45 cases! ;-) Making the OAL too long is a good plan.

azrednek
05-26-2014, 02:31 PM
with Federal 200 small rifle primer.

Is there a reason for the rifle instead of the pistol primer?? Do your hot loads back pistol primers out?

I've been using the Federal 215 for belted mag rifle loads. I have seen an improvement although slight on paper and back when I had a crony I'd see a few more FPS. As far as pistol loads I've never seen anything on paper or more FPS with any brand. Reliability though is a different story. To the best of my knowledge I can't recall having a dud with Winchester pistol primers.

Outpost75
05-26-2014, 04:00 PM
To prevent punctured primers and hard cylinder rotation.

The load is "hot".

Is there a reason for the rifle instead of the pistol primer?? Do your hot loads back pistol primers out?

I've been using the Federal 215 for belted mag rifle loads. I have seen an improvement although slight on paper and back when I had a crony I'd see a few more FPS. As far as pistol loads I've never seen anything on paper or more FPS with any brand. Reliability though is a different story. To the best of my knowledge I can't recall having a dud with Winchester pistol primers.

DougGuy
05-26-2014, 04:06 PM
You should look at the serial number on the Ruger. If it has a THREE digit prefix, it is made on the medium frame, it has thinner cylinder walls and webs than the older large frame guns which have a TWO digit prefix. The medium frame is only safe to .45 ACP +P pressures of 23,000psi which you can find load data for if you look.

Not sure the pressures you are getting into with the hot .45 loads, but it doesn't sound like you are observing a 23,000psi pressure ceiling..

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
05-26-2014, 04:27 PM
I have run some pretty hot 45 acp loads in a G21 with an aftermarket barrel (Jarvis) and extra heavy springs. After much research and chatting with other people that have done this I was using 460 Rowland loads in 45 ACP cases. I would guess the pressure was just under 40k psi. The brass will hold up to those pressure, especially in a revolver with full case support...as long as the revolver cylinder is up to it.

Outpost75
05-26-2014, 09:11 PM
Mine is on the full-sized frame and the loads tested to 28k radial copper in the government test barrel.

nagantguy
05-26-2014, 09:36 PM
This is a good post thanks all fer sharing saved me a couple of posts as a project I'll be running soon is headed into hot acp loads, cause I don't have a 460.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
05-26-2014, 09:45 PM
There are many misconceptions about 460 Rowland brass and the round itself. If you cross section 45 acp and 460 rowland brass, you will find that the case web/head thicknesses are identical. The Rowland brass is not made any thicker. And as far as the brass being a bit longer...it is...BUT the 460 Rowland runs at the same COL as 45 acp. You gain NO extra case volume using 460 Rowland brass.

Running in a revolver, just be sure that the cylinder can handle it. If you ever decide to run those hot loads in a semi-auto, case-head support is an important factor that will determine wether you pistol is one bad mamajama...or a hand grenade. As always, be careful!

Moonie
06-02-2014, 01:56 PM
There are many misconceptions about 460 Rowland brass and the round itself. If you cross section 45 acp and 460 rowland brass, you will find that the case web/head thicknesses are identical. The Rowland brass is not made any thicker. And as far as the brass being a bit longer...it is...BUT the 460 Rowland runs at the same COL as 45 acp. You gain NO extra case volume using 460 Rowland brass.

Running in a revolver, just be sure that the cylinder can handle it. If you ever decide to run those hot loads in a semi-auto, case-head support is an important factor that will determine wether you pistol is one bad mamajama...or a hand grenade. As always, be careful!

Starline has said that their 460 Rowland brass is made the same thickness as their +P brass which IS thicker than standard 45acp brass. If you have evidence of something different please provide it.

As far as high pressure 45 acp loads in the Ruger convertible check this link out, lots of interesting info there:

http://handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=41

I personally do not do this as we have 5 1911's in the family, a very hot loaded 45 acp finding its way into one of those would be bad, and I have a 45 Colt cylinder for my convertible for the heavy loads.

Jupiter7
06-03-2014, 12:13 AM
Agreed, Moonie. I don't load any 45auto hotter than I'd fire in my 1911's. That said, accurate powders released 45auto +p as a supplement to the 2014 reloading guide. Great place to start for published data.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
06-03-2014, 03:31 AM
http://www.realguns.com/archives/106.htm

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see. :razz: When I owned the conversion kit and had some 460 brass I did the same cross sectioning with the same results as the article. Just my 2 cents. Have fun and be careful.

Love Life
06-03-2014, 06:35 AM
Agreed, Moonie. I don't load any 45auto hotter than I'd fire in my 1911's. That said, accurate powders released 45auto +p as a supplement to the 2014 reloading guide. Great place to start for published data.

I have been having a lot of fun with the new Accurate data!

Jupiter7
06-03-2014, 08:49 AM
I have been having a lot of fun with the new Accurate data!

Same here. The mihec RCBS230-cm clone over aa#5 at 910fps is stupid accurate and just at right level of recoil to keep it on target quickly. Will be my walking round load for now. Working now with their data and the ideal 454424 to see where I can get and shoot quickly.