PDA

View Full Version : NOE got me

GARD72977
05-25-2014, 04:46 PM
I got a email form NOE today. They don't bomb my mailbox so I opened it. Just checking out there sight with no intention of buying anything. I ran in to a mould I could not resist. It is 4 cavity 2PB and 2GC. I have some doubts about the style but I just wanted it!!! I plan to shoot it in a Encore 300 whisper 1/10 twist.

35 shooter
05-25-2014, 07:53 PM
Yep, you gotta watch that noe site....they're addictive! That is one pointy boolit you have there. Hope it works out for you. I'd be interested in how it turns out. They make a 280 gr. spitzer type boolit in 35 cal. i looked at real hard but went with the round nose instead with the same weight. I see you live a bit east of me.

Jailer
05-25-2014, 08:18 PM
It was designed by a guy over at the 300 blktalk forums. They accuracy reports on it so far don't look too promising.

GARD72977
05-25-2014, 08:54 PM
Im not expecting it to be a real tack driver. I like the length for the weight. I think I will have better luck in a single shot that they do in a AR. Just wanting a 100yd coke can bullet. There is a lot of length without a lot riding the bore. That is not usually a good thing! Im thinking the plain base may do very well with a good load of trial boss.

Beagle333
05-25-2014, 08:57 PM
That is pretty cool! And they sell a nose punch for it too! wow. Ok.... that one goes on my wish list. :D

plainsman456
05-25-2014, 11:13 PM
Yep NOE makes some lazy boolit molds.

I mean you don't have to do anything to them to cast some nice ones.

I broke in a 9mm 121 grain mold today and after the second heat up i had a pile of nice ones on the bench.
They weigh 122 so i am close on the mix.
Can"t wait for tomorrow.

Jailer
05-25-2014, 11:22 PM
Just wanting a 100yd coke can bullet.

The Lee 312-155-2R would serve you well for this.

TXGunNut
05-25-2014, 11:23 PM
Watch out for that box in the upper right of most pages; "What's New" or something like that. Quite often it's something I'm very interested in. How do they know? ;-)
All kidding aside, great site for shopping or research.

GARD72977
05-26-2014, 03:24 PM
The Lee 312-155-2R would serve you well for this.

The RCBS 165gr-SIL is my go to mold for the 300 whisper. It has worked well in several guns. I have the MiHec 308 Hollow point Hunting Boolit but have not shot them yet. I just seen the long pointed bullet and wanted to try some loads with it.

Lee cast RB ok but I had rather take a enema than cast bullets with a Lee mold.

lavenatti
05-28-2014, 07:17 AM
That's the "Crayola of Death" mold.

Blammer
05-28-2014, 07:16 PM
I have high hopes for the COD. (crayola of death) but havn't gotten to the range lately.

cbrick
05-28-2014, 09:07 PM
The intention J.D. Jones had in the 300 Whisper is a heavy for caliber bullet kept sub sonic, the heavy bullet has excellent momentum and good penetration. That NOE bullet at 129 gr is anything but heavy for caliber. With so little bearing surface if you do/can keep it sub sonic may/might/could work well for soda cans and sub sonic a check would sure not be needed. I would think that if you get it up to velocities where a check would be needed that accuracy would be less than desirable.

Let us know how it works out.

Rick

GARD72977
05-28-2014, 10:51 PM
The intention J.D. Jones had in the 300 Whisper is a heavy for caliber bullet kept sub sonic, the heavy bullet has excellent momentum and good penetration. That NOE bullet at 129 gr is anything but heavy for caliber. With so little bearing surface if you do/can keep it sub sonic may/might/could work well for soda cans and sub sonic a check would sure not be needed. I would think that if you get it up to velocities where a check would be needed that accuracy would be less than desirable.

Let us know how it works out.

Rick

I agree. I want a long short bullet to shoot at coke cans. Trail boss should work great

cbrick
05-29-2014, 02:03 PM
I agree. I want a long - short bullet to shoot at coke cans. Trail boss should work great

:?:

Hhmmm . . . I'll have to think on that a bit, a "long" "short" boolit? Maybe a long boolit that's actually short or a short boolit that's actually long. Well, whichever the boolit is let us know how the Trail Boss works in your Whisper, could prove to be very interesting.

I have those incredibly dangerous Pepsi cans in my back yard also, they collect in herds at about a hundred yards and charge the back of house, they are vicious, all fangs and claws. I dispatch mine with a New Model Blackhawk in 30 Carbine and it does fine job but still they gather in herds, I can hear them growling beyond the tree line just before they attack so I know it's time to load up the Ruger. I've heard that PepsiCo turns these creatures loose on an unsuspecting population by the millions so I'm merely doing my part to save society.

Rick

GARD72977
05-29-2014, 02:08 PM

Hhmmm . . . I'll have to think on that a bit, a "long" "short" boolit? Maybe a long boolit that's actually short or a short boolit that's actually long. Well, whichever the boolit is let us know how the Trail Boss works in your Whisper, could prove to be very interesting.

I have those incredibly dangerous Pepsi cans in my back yard also, they collect in herds at about a hundred yards and charge the back of house, they are vicious, all fangs and claws. I dispatch mine with a New Model Blackhawk in 30 Carbine and it does fine job but still they gather in herds, I can hear them growling beyond the tree line just before they attack so I know it's time to load up the Ruger. I've heard that PepsiCo turns these creatures loose on an unsuspecting population by the millions so I'm merely doing my part to save society.

Rick

I meant to post a "light" long bullet. he mold came in to day and it is great. Cant wait to load a few!!!

osteodoc08
05-29-2014, 02:43 PM
Interesting design to say the least. Let us know how the COD works out.

glockky
05-29-2014, 05:43 PM
yeah lets see some pics after you get some cast

nanuk
05-30-2014, 07:06 PM

Hhmmm . . . I'll have to think on that a bit, a "long" "short" boolit? Maybe a long boolit that's actually short or a short boolit that's actually long. ...
Rick

perhaps it is a bullet that is lubed with a high percentage Crisco additive..... "ShortLube" Bullet is what he meant, I'm sure of it.

Hey, we have "ShortBread" cookies.... so why not?

Echd
05-30-2014, 07:28 PM
That mold looks really cool but the boolit itself has gotten pretty poor reviews.

But NOE sure cuts em just right!

Blammer
05-30-2014, 09:41 PM
I'd say you'll likely need to cast them hard, it's for plinking anyway's so no biggie.

freebullet
05-30-2014, 10:14 PM
In my research on cone point designs they don't perform great unless they have 50%+ bearing surface to length ratio. One thing is for certain, they look wicked.

I hope they perform well for you. Noe makes several I would like to have but so far I've resisted the temptation. Don't know how much longer i can hold out.

GARD72977
05-31-2014, 08:56 AM
I really think they will shoot fine at low velocity. I had the same doubts about the design when I seen it.

emorris
05-31-2014, 06:30 PM
106691I got my COD mold a few days ago. I casted a few but havent shot any yet. It looks really nice loaded in the 300 blk case and I imagine that it will look even better powder coated. I am having a hard time resisting the urge to order some zombie green as I dont think that the HF red powder will work with these. This is side by side with the lee 155 grain mold. I don't have to say which one is which!

Blammer
05-31-2014, 08:07 PM
I'm gonna give these a go in my 30-06. :)
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits%20fun/IMG_3161_zps96ce85fb.jpg (http://s54.photobucket.com/user/blammer8mm/media/Cast%20boolits%20fun/IMG_3161_zps96ce85fb.jpg.html)

Dolomite_supafly
06-02-2014, 07:18 PM
I am getting decent accuracy so far but I am not pushing them to max loads. Out of my Encore and Contender the accuracy is acceptable. I did try some max loads out of my AR, the Encore and Contender and like everything else loaded to max accuracy was miserable.

Blammer
06-03-2014, 06:31 PM
punched round holes tightly clustered at 25yds! :)

emorris
06-03-2014, 07:52 PM
Blammer, how hard did you push them? I have done a little research on this type of boolit design and it seems that slower is better. If you can get them to run in the 06, then maybe I have a chance with the 300blk.

Blammer
06-03-2014, 08:16 PM
19gr of 2400 in the 30-06, so not hard to start with.

I'll likely try IMR 3031 next for some velocity.

Dolomite_supafly
06-03-2014, 08:27 PM
I think twist will have more of an impact on accuracy than velocity. I have shot it out of 10 as well as 8 twist guns and I can say with great certainty that the faster twists have more flyers. I am going to build a few rifle barrels just to test this bullet. First will be a 10, then an 11 and finally a 12 twist. It will be several months before I can get around to it but once I do I think it will work well once the twist is slowed down regardless of velocity.

I have been meaning to get some more testing done but life gets in the way. I haven't felt well for over a week because of injuries from a helicopter crash then three days ago I fell on the stairs and that has kept me pretty much immobile since then. Today I felt a little better but it will be at least 3-4 more days before I will be mobile enough to cast some more.

I can shoot at home so it isn't a big production to work up test loads but getting to a range to test long range performance is because I am unable to drive because of those same injuries.

GARD72977
06-04-2014, 02:12 PM
Wow a helicopter crash and falling down stairs. sounds like the start to a action movie! Hope you get to feeling better. I have never thought of doing a 300 whisper / blackout in a 1/12. I may have to try that. I have a Encore with a 1/10 barrel that I wanted to shoot these out of.

Leadmelter
06-05-2014, 12:06 AM
Just got my 7th or 8th NOE mold in the last 18 months.
This is the 453423 238 SWC RG2 PB. It will be casting in sort order.
As I said before: quality product, fast ship and made in the USA.
Now if get them to replenish the Ranch Dog 165 gr HP mold, I could be a happy caster.
Leadmelter
MI

Dolomite_supafly
06-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Wow a helicopter crash and falling down stairs. sounds like the start to a action movie! Hope you get to feeling better. I have never thought of doing a 300 whisper / blackout in a 1/12. I may have to try that. I have a Encore with a 1/10 barrel that I wanted to shoot these out of.

These shoot pretty well out of my 10 twist Contender. It has iron sights, which I can't shoot, but it still is giving me some decent accuracy. I really do need to install a scope to verify how well of is shooting.