PDA

View Full Version : New to casting

mhidpa
01-12-2008, 05:38 PM
I thought I would introduce my self and seek some wisdom. I found this site through AR15.com. I've decided that the only way for me to afford to shoot is to start casting. My university has an indoor shooting range and a marksmanship class so I have a virtually endless supply of free lead (99% .22).

I just got a lee .452 RN 2 ogiv TL 2 cavity mold and we have a furnace at the range that I can use.

Any suggestions? I'll be shooting this in my 1911.

Johnw...ski
01-12-2008, 06:05 PM
I am new here also but have been shooting for over 40 years and casting boolits for over 30. I have cast and shot 10's of thousands of rounds through my Gold Cup. I have used 190 gr. semi wadcutters sized to .451 and lubed with Tamarak
bullet lube. 4 gr. of Bullseye powder creates a mild and inexpensive load.
Personally, for the 1911 45 ACP I would just cast the lead into ingots to clean it up and use it as is. If you buy dies for reloading do yourself a favor and spring for a carbide sizing die, it's well worth it not to have to deal with case lube.

Welcome and Good Luck,

John

mhidpa
01-12-2008, 06:14 PM
thanks, I already have my dies. have a lee turret press and the 4 die carbide set.

Leftoverdj
01-12-2008, 06:50 PM
Welcome aboard. That mostly .22 LR range scrap is going to be dead soft. It may work for you, but if you run into leading problems, add half a pound of lead free solder to 20 pounds of scrap.

Before you start, that mould needs to be cleaned of all trace of preservative, preferably by boiling in soapy water for half an hour. Failure to do so will result in wrinkled bullets and failure to fill out. It's the most common beginner's problem.

mhidpa
01-13-2008, 03:58 PM
thanks, I was wondering what the best way to clean it was. The instructions say I need to lube the mold when I use it. how important is that. Is there a thread here like "OK newb here is what you do to cast boolits"?

45nut
01-13-2008, 04:58 PM
I'd suggest reading through the threads in the "stickies & classics" section here.

mhidpa
01-18-2008, 12:16 AM
well It has begun. I started casting on wed. I wend between classes ag got a total of about 2 hours in. I dont know how many I made total but i just about filled up a box for a brick of .22 a couple hundered or so. I went to wideners to day to pick up some alox and I'll hit it again on monday. This could get addicting.

MtGun44
01-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Good luck. Try about 4.5-4.8 gr of Titegroup as a good load for your 230 gr RN
boolit. LOA is critical for feeding in the 1911, as is a moderate taper crimp.
Try to match the LOA of factory ball, and taper crimp until about half the
thickness of the case neck is pushed into the boolit. You may need magnification
to see this.

You'll find that you can customize your ammo to do exactly what you want it
to do, and to suit your particular firearm.

Bill