PDA

View Full Version : Lets See Those 357 Magnum Deer Kills Including Technial Info

TCLouis
05-25-2014, 01:33 PM
Rifle/Pistol

Boolit used

Load data (if you care to post it)

Distance to animal at the shot

Where hit

Distance traveled after hit

Post mortem wound pics

Estimated Live weight

jmort
05-25-2014, 01:36 PM
Very good thread topic. Will follow this one for sure.

quilbilly
05-25-2014, 02:01 PM
Should include black bear as well

harley45
05-26-2014, 12:16 AM
I agree I'd like to see the black bear info

TCLouis
05-26-2014, 12:25 AM
WELL DANG, SHOULDA TESTED THAT BEFORE I POSTED THIS.

BEAR ADDED

If the moderator will add bear to the topic line.

I wish we could alter topic here, like some other sites software allows.

Blammer
05-26-2014, 03:32 PM
Whaahooo! I got one!

It’s December 8, 2007, the last day of the season and it’s either sex on Green River Gamelands.

I got up early and was in my spot at about 6:50am. I sat and sat and resisted the urge to walk around and look for the game. I suspected this valley would be good since there were lots of tracks and a food plot to my right behind me and some “cover” and water ahead and to my left.

About 9:30am after sitting for a long time I started to get squirmy, but resisted the urge to stand up and stretch as this has been my downfall for getting deer a few times in the past. I was admiring the day, started out at about 34° and was slowly warming. High today was suppose to be 51°. Slight chance of sprinkles later tonight, but right now the sun was poking through the partly cloudy sky and the sunrise was just beautiful.

No wind, no squirrels, no movement, and the woodpeckers started at about 8 and stopped about 30 min later. I was thinking to myself that someone said deer hunting was hours and hours of sheer boredom interrupted by brief moments of pure excitement. No sooner had that thought passed and I heard the leaves rustle with that familiar sound of foot steps from my current quest. Learning from my mistake a few weeks earlier, I looked AND brought my gun to bear at low ready while I scanned to my left.

I was at NARPI’s house and deer hunting and heard the footsteps of a deer and when I turned to look I was starting right at a buck 15 yds from me, and of course my gun was pointed the other way, and when I got it all together it was too late.

I spied a tail and legs, the rest was behind several large popular trees which gave me cover and hindered the shot. I was already in my sitting position with gun at the ready, and then I thumbed the hammer back oh so quietly! Checked to make sure the safety was off of my Win 94, the one with the WART safety on the side. All was good! Now to wait for the deer to step forward. I noticed my breath was really short and heavy, so I tried to control my breathing, making medium breaths at medium speed. I looked through the scope to see if it would be good to wait for the deer to move while looking through the scope. THAT was no good, after a brief look, I decided not too as I could not see anything, too narrow a field of view. Three hours later the deer moves, well not really, probably 30 seconds. Steps forward about 10 yds and stops. I see the deer, put the cross hairs on the deer just behind the shoulder, notice that the deer looks a bit pale green and I shoot. Yes pale green, due to a bush in front of the deer. I though hey, this 180 gr FP bullet will plow right through it and whamo! Venison!

The deer (don’t know if it’s a buck or doe right now, either sex is game and it’s a deer I’m shooting it!) Takes off down the hill, it slows, it’s hit. I’m not waiting to see what happens, I rack another one in and when deer stops. Boom! I have no idea where I was shooting. He was about 25 yds away at this time. After the second shot he bolts another 25 yds down the valley and up the other side and then does a circle like he’s gonna bed down. I’m not waiting, BOOM! Drops like a rock! I’ve got my first Gameland deer ever! I start to shake so bad, if I’d have grabbed a hold of a small tree I’d have shaken all the leaves off of it! I check again, at about 50 yds I see white belly up! He’s down!

I didn’t know what to do next! I sat there and enjoyed the moment for a minute gathered my thoughts, marveled at why I’m still shaking so bad and how exciting it was and THIS is why I’ve been coming out here for 4 years to try to get a deer! FINALLY!

I collect my three empty cases, shove em in my pocket and then untie the rope I have between my legs. I tied a rope so I could sit with my knees up and it would hold them together and I had a perfect rifle rest for if and when I needed to shoot.

I went down with my rucksack of stuff, got out my drag rope and started draggin the deer UP the mountain to where I was sitting. Half way up I decided I’ll gut the deer as it will make easier dragging. Out came the handy dandy Gerber, and in 20 min, with probably as many mistakes as I made on the doe a few weeks earlier, the job was done. It was at this point that I realized I had a buck! Anatomy was different…. 

I thought I could fold him up and put him in my pack and it’d be easier to haul out the three quarters of a mile hike. I opted to tie all feet and head together and use a stick as a handle and carry him up the hill.

After I got all my stuff together, I proceeded to drag, singing and quickly walking all the way back to my truck!

I then took some pics, and spoke with two other hunters there for about 30 min. Then went home to process him. Got to use my new grinder for the first time! It works like a champ!

I am very proud of this buck, because I hiked way back to hunt for him, tried to get one, anyone for a long time on the public gamelands, shot him with my own cast bullets, and got to show both my kids what a deer looks like and why dad hunts em!

They loved stuffing the meat in the grinder, and then it occurs to my youngest! Hey! This is where hamburger comes from!

Gun info:
Winchester 94 in 357 Magnum, reamed out to 360 Dan Wesson.
180gr Gas check flat point cast bullet, WW alloy, speed green lube
Lilgun powder 15.1gr
Velocity at 1800 fps

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/2007%20Deer/DSCN6242.jpg

He maybe small but I’m pleased as punch!
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/2007%20Deer/DSCN6247.jpg

Entrance
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/2007%20Deer/DSCN6253.jpg

Exit
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/2007%20Deer/DSCN6252.jpg

Inside bullet path
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/2007%20Deer/DSCN6249.jpg

upon autopsy….
I think I missed on the first shot, bush must have deflected. The nearby group of poplar trees must have shielded him from the sound of the gunshot. As that is why he ran a bit then slowed, and I thought I hit him.

I found I had shot his left rear leg. I couldn’t have hit him there on the first shot as he was broad side and facing to my right. I must have hit him there on the second shot as he was going down the hill away from me. That is the shot I really didn’t aim and could not have told you exactly where it went. This would explain why he ran a bit then did a circle, and then I shot again. The third shot is in the pics above that put him down NOW.

Unfortunately when I shot the rear ham, it struck bone completely breaking it in half. The bullet had made a 40 cal hole all the way to the bone, then shattering the bone dead center, and made a quarter sized hole all the way through after that. On that small of a deer pretty much the whole leg was lost, I trimmed what I could but the flat point bullet took a HUGE amount of hair with it and evenly distributed it inside the wound channel. My top sirloins were gone…. Boo hoo!

Rifle: Win 94 24" brl originally in 357 Mag. Modified to shoot 360 Dan Wesson

Picture of a similar bullet. :)
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Cast%20boolits%20fun/DSCN7626.jpg (http://s54.photobucket.com/user/blammer8mm/media/Cast%20boolits%20fun/DSCN7626.jpg.html)

Sample Target
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Targets/File0115.jpg (http://s54.photobucket.com/user/blammer8mm/media/Targets/File0115.jpg.html)

video of Lee 358 158 bullet and water jugs sorta a good comparison for the 360180 :)
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Video/th_DSCN5791.jpg (http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Video/DSCN5791.mp4)

MT Gianni
05-26-2014, 11:09 PM
2 point Mule Deer in 1984. Load was 125 gr factory JHP by some outfit I no longer remember. I think it started with an N but was not nosler and I believe they were out of Boise. I crested a hill and shot down on him from around 55-65 yards hitting the top of the spine. The bullet shot fragments and bone through the lungs and was one of the worst bloodshot animals I ever cleaned. He went less than 10 steps and was dead when I arrived. The gun was a 4" nickel Mod 19 S&W.

roverboy
05-27-2014, 04:40 PM
I killed one 7 or 8 years ago with my Security Six and 158 gr. cast handload but, sorry I don't have a pic. I keep meaning to hunt with it more every season but, for some reason don't take it much. My state used to have either sex hunts in my County every season but, they stopped about 7 seasons ago. I would like to take a doe or 2 with it.

JSH
05-28-2014, 10:59 PM
I started off with the little marlin about 5-6 years ago. Killed three with it using a lee group buy mold from here that was about 12-14 years ago. Last year was the first year the marlin was not used. Went to a gp100 with a red dot same load and bullet that the rifle used.
Have a plain base I am tinkering with for this year. Both are 180ish in weight.
Sorry no pics from prior or last year.
I was intent on getting one of my slugs back and have given up. Shot big bodied bucks and does at around 150-160 yards in and out through both shoulders.
Lilgun is powder of choice but have used 2400 and AA #9 speed is a bit lacking on the last two.
Jeff

357maximum
05-28-2014, 11:13 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?220308-Tasty-little-trophy

One from last year, sorry no pics of the autopsy, just a hole in the ribs and a hole coming out of the ribs and some messed up lung tissue is all you are missing by the lack of a pic.

Camba
05-29-2014, 11:34 PM
Good shooting

dnepr
05-30-2014, 12:05 AM
Last fall I dropped this buck with a Rossi 92 in 357 , shot though the spinal column in the neck at about 25 yards , bang flopped.
The load was a seirra 158 JSP over 16.5 gr of h110 , sparked off by a win spm primer
Gave me 1825 fps over the chrono ,
The j- wart penetrated through the spine and made it a couple inches into the meat on the far side
The deer was a 7 point , not a record book rack at all. But he was a solid 200 lbs Northwesten Ontario buck , lots o venison

I emailed these pics to a good friend who popped his deer with a 300 win mag his ran a little over a 100 yards into the bush with an exploded heart . When he heard this was a bang flop he called me some unkind names and suggested I could get a bang flop with a daisy red rider, but just to prove that there were no real hard feelings he had the pic of the rifle on top of the deer printed on a coffee mug for me and mailed it to me , makes my morning coffee just a little bit better

Finarfin
05-31-2014, 05:16 PM
My cousin shot one a while back with a rifle and some hollow points, don't know which weight. About 70 pounds and 70 yards. Drt. Massive wound.

Djones
05-31-2014, 06:57 PM
Before I started casting I had loaded some hornady 158 grain xtp hp over 17 grains of lil gun. iirc it was moving at 1800 FPS out of my dads and my 1894c. Dad shot a big doe at 40 yards through the boiler room. Passed straight through with a nickel size exit hole.

By the time we got the truck as close as possible ( 20 minutes )there was already a bald eagle eating at the exit hole. The eagle had a 8" diameter spot around the hole shaved clean of hair.

This year we will be hunting with cast! I hope I can take some pics of a successful hunt and post them here.

warboar_21
06-02-2014, 01:15 PM
My one and only handgun deer hunt was in the fall of 1992 in Avon, IN on a friends farm that is now all houses. I was up in a tree stand debating on leaving because it started raining. I was soaked and getting really cold when a small 4 point started walking out on the trail I was watching. He was about 75yds out and walking towards me on the trail. He got to about 50yds (estimated) and stopped dead in his tracks. Sat there for a minute sniffing the air and I figured he busted me. He presented me with a broadside shot and I took it with my 6" Taurus Model 66 with 158gr soft point PMC factory ammo. I hit him perfectly through the lungs(lucky shot) and he ran maybe 50-60yds. My buddy heard the shot and came to help me drag him up to the barn. I didn't have a camera back then and didn't really care about seeing what damage was done. I do remember that I hit a rib going in and it did some considerable damage to the lungs and blood vessels. The exit was pretty good sized.

KCcactus
06-06-2014, 08:02 PM

Rossi 20" 357, my son (13 at the time), a tumble lubed Lee 150 SWC and 14.6gr of old 2400 = a priceless first deer. The shot was 22yds, in one front shoulder and out the other, but missed the leg bones. The doe field dressed at 60 lbs. The lungs were liquified, but she still made it 30 yds before dropping.

NSB
06-06-2014, 09:52 PM
I never took many pics of deer I shot and the few I did have got lost when the computer crashed and everything got lost (no back-up). Here's a couple from the days of cameras and film. I've shot over 50 with the 357mag with several different guns. Most were shot with Hornady XTPs (yeah, I know. Not boolits, but......) using WW296. Lighter bullets generally don't penetrate as well and heavier ones don't expand as well.....at pistol distances. Lots of them shot very, very close and a few shot at, or over,100 yds. I've never lost one with the 357mag and only ever lost one with a handgun. That was with a 44mag. Not the calibers fault, just made a bad shot. My fault, it happens if you shoot and hunt enough with a handgun. The one on the tailgate ran about 25yds and piled up. The one on the garage floor dropped right in its tracks and never moved. Both were shot with custom built guns by Bill Davis.

roverboy
06-07-2014, 07:38 AM
I never took many pics of deer I shot and the few I did have got lost when the computer crashed and everything got lost (no back-up). Here's a couple from the days of cameras and film. I've shot over 50 with the 357mag with several different guns. Most were shot with Hornady XTPs (yeah, I know. Not boolits, but......) using WW296. Lighter bullets generally don't penetrate as well and heavier ones don't expand as well.....at pistol distances. Lots of them shot very, very close and a few shot at, or over,100 yds. I've never lost one with the 357mag and only ever lost one with a handgun. That was with a 44mag. Not the calibers fault, just made a bad shot. My fault, it happens if you shoot and hunt enough with a handgun. The one on the tailgate ran about 25yds and piled up. The one on the garage floor dropped right in its tracks and never moved. Both were shot with custom built guns by Bill Davis.

Very nice deer there. If you ever take another pic of your Bill Davis guns, I'd love to see them.

Hickok
06-07-2014, 11:01 AM
Something I have found when using a good size cast boolit with a big flat meplat, alot of hair taken inside the wound, as did TCLouis.

Have seen the same thing with the .35 Rem. and .358 Win with RN j-word slugs.

43PU
06-07-2014, 05:57 PM
I don't have pictures, but I killed a doe in 2012 season with a 20" Rossi 357 round barrel. Distance was around 125 yards slightly up hill with iron sights using the Lee 158 SWC TL over 6.5 grn of unique 50/50 pb coww. Hit her in the ear(lucky shoot) and she dropped, complete penetration. A nice eating doe.

43Pu

David2011
06-07-2014, 09:43 PM
This coming fall/winter I hope to have a cast boolit rifle ready to go. It's a .357 H&H Mag on a Mauser action. The barrel is fitted and chambered; it just needs a stock and sights. I think I'll put a figured walnut stock on it. The sights will probably be a receiver peep sight with corresponding front ramp. A 250 grain boolit at 1800-2000 fps should be pleasant to shoot and effective on any size deer or pig. I just have to find a stock with a price I'm happy with.

David

MaLar
06-08-2014, 04:33 AM
.357 H&H Mag?

06-08-2014, 08:04 AM
Tried to find a deer Friday and again today to poke a 180gr NOE HP into without luck. Wind did us Friday and didn't sight one today.
Had a fox put in an appearance when we were almost back to the car, bad move on his part.
Damage wasn't as much as I was expecting given the size of the HP in the NOE, straight through both shoulders with the exit not much larger than the entry, bodes well for when I do finally catch up with a deer.

Edit:

Rifle/Pistol Marlin 1894

Boolit used NOE 180gr WFP GC, cast 50/50 +2% in HP

Load data (if you care to post it) 14gr AR2205 CCI SPM primer

Distance to animal at the shot 100m

Where hit Shoulder

Distance traveled after hit Didn't move not even a kick

Post mortem wound pics

Estimated Live weight 8kg
http://madmick3006.com/ahngallery/upload/files/2014-06/8c22c015.jpg

Blammer
06-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Nice!

NVScouter
06-09-2014, 11:46 AM
When I was 13 a camp member shot a big bodied muley at 40y. He was using a new (80's) 5" S&W revolver and 158g SWC EK over stiff loads. Shot the buck three times going from broadside to quartering away in the chest. Then shot it again at 70y two more times. Once in the pauch and through the rear running off. Tracked the buck about 5 miles and found him hung up in a fence, I dispatched him with my 30-06.

All three chest shots failed to fully penitrate leaving one lung destroyed and one damaged but not bad enough. All bullets were recovered but the pauch shot showing moderate expansion with lots of meat damage.

I'm fine with super close .357 mag pistol shots or in rifles at smaller deer under 100y but thats it. Move up to a .41. .44, or 45.

Lonegun1894
06-10-2014, 03:25 AM
4-5yrs ago now, I shot a small buck with my Security Six 4". Wasn't really hunting, but helping a friend clean his doe, when this buck steps out of some brush at 45yds and stands there facing us. I caught him in the chest, actually just barely nicked where the bones meet to form the V, with a Lee 158gr RNFP cast out of WDWW sitting on 7.0grs Unique in a .357 Mag case. No idea on case brand, but primer was a CCI SP since that is what I have been using for .357 since I started reloading. Bullet alloy choice wasn't the best, but I wasn't planning on hunting, since it was the last day of the season and I had already given up on deer, not having seen a single one all season, but kept seeing hogs all over the place, so thought I'd take the next one I saw. Well, that hard bullet entered the chest and didn't stop til it hit the left hip joint. The buck turned, walked 3 yards, and just fell over and never kicked. I have used the .357 on other game in both handguns and rifles, but that is the first deer and the only one that sticks out. I have never had any problem hunting deer or hogs with a .357 Mag, and my longest tracking job to date is 75-80yds, with most being less than 20yds. Having said that, the .357 is one of my favorite calibers, and is one of the most practiced with. I also pass up anything but a perfect shot, and always try to get close enough, and then a bit closer. Maybe that is what makes the difference between my results and the results of those who have bad results. As to th3e perfect shot thing, ANYTHING seems off about it, even if it's just a gut feeling that I can't place or explain, I pass on the shot. Yes, I go home empty handed a lot, but I see a lot of game, and learn from it for future hunts. Place the bullet where it belongs, and the .357 Mag is plenty. However, all I have used is various 158gr cast, a few Lee 158gr RNFPs, quite a few Lee 158gr SWCGCs, and then for the last 3 years, mostly Lyman 358156s, which don't perform any different for me than the Lee SWC but the extra crimp groove allows me to load .357Mag loads into .38Spl brass and just crimp in the rear groove when using .38s and front when using .357 brass, as it gives the same OAL length, same case capacity for powder, and same pressure.

Silvercreek Farmer
10-23-2019, 07:08 PM
Bump.

Dthunter
10-26-2019, 10:11 AM
Us Canadians are not permitted to hunt with handguns. The governments belief is if you have a handgun, you are either a criminal, or about to become a criminal because some thief with steal your handgun and use it for crime. And that is the fault of the original gun owner! ��. So many levels of stupid!

As far as the 357 magnum bieng adequate in a carbine rifle for deer, with cast, and within logical ranges for the round, it performs just fine.

I have never experienced any of my cast bullets significantly fragmenting, or NOT penetrating either straight through, or very deep.

In my experience, cast bullets just penetrate great!

One thing that never seems to pointed out is the “FACT” that every animal reacts differently to bieng shot.

Some animals just seem to refuse to die. The type of projectile used on that animal doesnt make a hill of beans difference. The animal will continue to move until it just cannot.

As hunters we want all bang flops. It leaves us with the feeling that we are an effective and proficient hunter.

As soon as any animal does not drop at the shot, most hunters seem to think that something in thier set up is inadequate, and start to lose confidence in it.

There is so many variables in a real life hunting senario, it is impossible to control them all. As long as we apply ourselves to become proficient shooters, and make our set up as powerful as we can comfortably/accurately shoot it, we will be as successful as we can.

Just pushing ourselves to improve our shooting should never stop. It keeps us at our best, where ever that is.

In closing, I would like to remind you how fortunate you are to have the gun “RIGHTS” you have! Us in Canada, have what they call “privileges”. And those are legally easy to erode/steal and take away.
Enjoy them, and fight to keep them!

Good hunting and straight shooting everyone!

Wolfer
10-26-2019, 11:34 AM
Well said!

MT Gianni
10-26-2019, 04:10 PM
Us Canadians are not permitted to hunt with handguns. The governments belief is if you have a handgun, you are either a criminal, or about to become a criminal because some thief with steal your handgun and use it for crime. And that is the fault of the original gun owner! ��. So many levels of stupid!

As far as the 357 magnum bieng adequate in a carbine rifle for deer, with cast, and within logical ranges for the round, it performs just fine.

I have never experienced any of my cast bullets significantly fragmenting, or NOT penetrating either straight through, or very deep.

In my experience, cast bullets just penetrate great!

One thing that never seems to pointed out is the “FACT” that every animal reacts differently to bieng shot.

Some animals just seem to refuse to die. The type of projectile used on that animal doesnt make a hill of beans difference. The animal will continue to move until it just cannot.

As hunters we want all bang flops. It leaves us with the feeling that we are an effective and proficient hunter.

As soon as any animal does not drop at the shot, most hunters seem to think that something in thier set up is inadequate, and start to lose confidence in it.

There is so many variables in a real life hunting senario, it is impossible to control them all. As long as we apply ourselves to become proficient shooters, and make our set up as powerful as we can comfortably/accurately shoot it, we will be as successful as we can.

Just pushing ourselves to improve our shooting should never stop. It keeps us at our best, where ever that is.

In closing, I would like to remind you how fortunate you are to have the gun “RIGHTS” you have! Us in Canada, have what they call “privileges”. And those are legally easy to erode/steal and take away.
Enjoy them, and fight to keep them!

Good hunting and straight shooting everyone!

Yet as a friend said "Every outpost in the North sells holsters. If you cannot have them outside of a match, why?" RIP Bruce

txbirdman
10-26-2019, 04:54 PM
250277Hey, I got one! Wait a minute that’s not a deer. But I was using my Marlin .357. Oops I messed that up.

willicd76
10-26-2019, 06:59 PM
4-5yrs ago now, I shot a small buck with my Security Six 4". Wasn't really hunting, but helping a friend clean his doe, when this buck steps out of some brush at 45yds and stands there facing us. I caught him in the chest, actually just barely nicked where the bones meet to form the V, with a Lee 158gr RNFP cast out of WDWW sitting on 7.0grs Unique in a .357 Mag case. No idea on case brand, but primer was a CCI SP since that is what I have been using for .357 since I started reloading. Bullet alloy choice wasn't the best, but I wasn't planning on hunting, since it was the last day of the season and I had already given up on deer, not having seen a single one all season, but kept seeing hogs all over the place, so thought I'd take the next one I saw. Well, that hard bullet entered the chest and didn't stop til it hit the left hip joint. The buck turned, walked 3 yards, and just fell over and never kicked. I have used the .357 on other game in both handguns and rifles, but that is the first deer and the only one that sticks out. I have never had any problem hunting deer or hogs with a .357 Mag, and my longest tracking job to date is 75-80yds, with most being less than 20yds. Having said that, the .357 is one of my favorite calibers, and is one of the most practiced with. I also pass up anything but a perfect shot, and always try to get close enough, and then a bit closer. Maybe that is what makes the difference between my results and the results of those who have bad results. As to th3e perfect shot thing, ANYTHING seems off about it, even if it's just a gut feeling that I can't place or explain, I pass on the shot. Yes, I go home empty handed a lot, but I see a lot of game, and learn from it for future hunts. Place the bullet where it belongs, and the .357 Mag is plenty. However, all I have used is various 158gr cast, a few Lee 158gr RNFPs, quite a few Lee 158gr SWCGCs, and then for the last 3 years, mostly Lyman 358156s, which don't perform any different for me than the Lee SWC but the extra crimp groove allows me to load .357Mag loads into .38Spl brass and just crimp in the rear groove when using .38s and front when using .357 brass, as it gives the same OAL length, same case capacity for powder, and same pressure.

You only take "perfect" shots and that what you consider a straight frontal shot on a deer? I would take that shot all day long if it was a finishing shot but not as the first "perfect" shot....

Texas by God
10-26-2019, 11:25 PM
A management buck that I shot over at 25 yards then got him at 60 yards when he came back[emoji3]. .357mag with a dollop of LilGun and a bulk 158gr hp Magtech.
It worked on the quartering shot and kept going.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191027/9045f85fb16ff3bb9c7bc6f0c919354f.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Camba
10-27-2019, 01:43 AM
My first pistol white tail deer was with an S&W 686 revolver 6” in 357 mag. I loaded with Rem bulk 158 gr jsp bullets and 2400 powder.
Anyway, I was still hunting and I cam upon a group of 5 does and took me 20 minutes to get within 45 yards or so. First shot... I missed. The does could not tell where the shots were coming from and my ears were ringing. Took 4 shot and miss them all. At this time, one of the does saw me and they begin leaving rapidly. One stop at about 80 yards and I lean my revolver against a small tree. Aimed steadily and took the shot. Good thing it was a winter time with lots of snow and I was wearing some leather gloves because the gasses and high pressure from the side of the cylinder made me feel like if I was hit with a hammer at my finger tips. I took my gloves off to see if I still ha my fingers and luckily for wearing gloves.
Anyway, I did not follow the shot because of the gloves and finger event so I went to check just in case. Turned out I hit the doe at the ham side and the bullet ricochet the spine and the top of the hart and exited at the right front shoulder.
It is an awesome feeling when you get one with a handgun.
I took a picture of it but that was not digital and I don’t know where it would be. This was in Iowa.
Camba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DGV
11-01-2019, 03:25 PM
A357 magnum can't kill a deer you need 2000 foot pounds at a 100 yd 😁

Texas by God
11-01-2019, 06:14 PM
If I see one within 25 or so yards this weekend I'll use my .38 Special with 900fps 150gr. Lee SWC on it. Horrors!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Jeff Michel
11-01-2019, 06:51 PM
Took these in 2015 with a Ruger 77/357, NOE 180 Gr. WFN. 12 Grains of 2400. Both were about 75 yards out. Neither traveled ten feet, complete pass through.250583

Lonegun1894
11-03-2019, 10:19 AM
You only take "perfect" shots and that what you consider a straight frontal shot on a deer? I would take that shot all day long if it was a finishing shot but not as the first "perfect" shot....

You take what shots you are comfortable with and know will work for you, and I will take what I know works for me. Considering the buck took tree small steps and dropped, I will still consider that particular shot as a good one. If you don’t trust yourself, your shooting ability, your weapon, or your knowledge of your game’s anatomy, then please feel free to take only the shots that you trust to be effective. That is the ethical thing to do, but please don’t tell me something I have done, and seen done on several occasions, and that worked every time, just won’t work or shouldn’t be done.

iamdrglass
11-03-2019, 08:28 PM
Is it the group buy that I think jr1942 was a big part of? If so I have both the gc and plain base version... I probably should have bought a spare plain base moLd....

outdoorfan
11-04-2019, 12:02 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?346762-Anyone-have-a-precise-full-power-heavy-Boolit-load-for-the-Rossi-92&p=4206833#post4206833

Post 13, 16, 17

And I'll probably be using the Rossi 357 again this hunting season.

tadpole
11-04-2019, 02:44 PM
.357 H&R Handi Rifle (restocked by yours truly), 180g Nos Part over H110. Shot was about 120 yards or so. Pass through, doe made it about 30 yards.250695

1950 S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman loaded to .357 potency. 158g HCHP boolit over 13g H110. Shot was about 30 yards or so. The boolit recovered, the doe did not. She dropped at the shot. 250696 250697 250698

nelsonted1
11-05-2019, 07:08 PM
We hunt in a slug and pistol only area of southern Minnesota. I've shot many deer with 12 gauge slugs through chests and the deer run off. It is like they have tiger blood in them or something. Deer can be so tough it is almost beyond belief. We've had them blowing what looks like blasts of blood out of a steam locomotive on the ground and they keep going. Sometimes the blood lets up like they've gone dry and the still add some steps to their effort. You see the damage done by a semi truck driving over them and they still get on the their feet and shuffle off you start thinking they are something special in the animal world.

marshall623
11-05-2019, 08:11 PM
This one was 2 seasons ago , NOE 360 180 WFN 50/50 WCWW/Pure over 13.8 gr of H110 . Shot was 30yds he ran about 50yds and piled up https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191106/c55269ef4156d4586bbba3358529aa98.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk