PDA

View Full Version : Press help!

autopacker
05-25-2014, 01:30 AM
I have what appears to be a Lyman All American Turret. Is it or what is it?http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/25/vymyvuvu.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/25/nata4eva.jpg105954105955105956105957

LUBEDUDE
05-25-2014, 11:30 AM
Yes you have a Lyman All American Turret Press (manual indexing).

It is set up for Shot Shell reloading. I'm not sure if the handle is a factory one that is bent and painted or a replacement.

The press has been repainted, they are a faded red originally.

autopacker
05-26-2014, 01:35 AM
Can I convert it to rifle/pistol? How does the primer seat come out? Thanks for the help!!

too many things
05-26-2014, 02:29 AM
that is a copy. dont know by who Very interesting the primer punch comes out . remove the allen screw in front . Punch may be tight or light rusted in the base. soak it with your spray and take pliers and remove it .
the top you didnt show pic . there should be 3 holes that will take reg dies
shell holders are not made. but Lyman makes a replacement that you can use reg shell holders.
the die you have in there is not a lyman.
I bet you may have one of the first and could be only one. before Lyman stopped the maker. Herters comes to mind. but never seen one
Pressman may know look him up

Pressman
05-26-2014, 06:47 AM
I don't know either, first time I have seen one like it. Interesting that the shotgun die looks like the press top nut. Even the die is unusual. It does appear that you can use standard shellholders, that's a plus. Otherwise it is a typical H-type turret press, made of aluminum.
Question: Is the press made of machined billet or are there any castings? Machined billet usually means made by a small shop, in small quantities, not unlike a well equipped home machine shop by someone who is/was a retired machinist. Castings take more skill and money.

More pictures would be nice, of the top of the turret and a side shot that can be enlarged.

Ken

Mike W1
05-26-2014, 09:03 AM
Mine actually says ( Lyman All-American Press "turret" ) on the right side. FWIW

too many things
05-26-2014, 08:25 PM
that is true all the Lymans had that on right side. that one is unique . I have a shot shell holder that may be same as his it is a bit larger than the J type Dont know where it came from.
I will bet the base is steel. by the square corners.
I am with ken
the die is not Lyman and the top round turret holder is not like lyman the primer seater is not lyman and cant tell but the primer arm holder is not lyman