PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 4500 sizing die - ram orientation

ghh3rd
05-24-2014, 02:19 PM
Ok - silly question... Since I haven't used my lubrisizer for a while, the Felix lube exposed to the air got black. I cleaned up the gunk, including taking the rams out of the dies and cleaning the black gunk out of the holes in the dies. Then I noticed that one end of the ram is concave and the other flat.

I forgot to notice which way the rams were positioned before I removed them. Can someone take a look at theirs and tell me.

Thanks Randy

theperfessor
05-24-2014, 09:09 PM
If the "ram"s you are referring to are the ejector pins from the center of the dies, then the concave side is generally used facing up toward the mouth of the die. This contacts the outer diameter of the bullet base and leaves a little space for excess lube to go.

fryboy
05-25-2014, 10:20 AM
+1 concave goes up ,rounded end goes down

i often clean my dies , these i store in a container , the ones i know i'm going to be using with the same lube i wrap in wax paper to keep clean and dry and then they go in a container , ( umm container is a old hornady gas check box lolz )
some folks have a wee bit of the concave machined flat or to better fit a boolit base ( usually done trying to help eliminate lube on the boolit base ) others drill a hole down the center of the pin

rockshooter
05-29-2014, 12:35 AM
If you know someone who still uses real film for taking pictures, 35mm containers are the perfect size for lubrisizer dies. I usually just wipe them off and put them in a container.
Loren

BruceB
05-29-2014, 01:13 AM
Even better is the smallest-size plastic prescription vial. These are easily available.... most homes have a few coming in fairly often.

There's enough room in the vial that a top punch may be stored with the die if desired.

I don't even bother wiping them off. Just pop 'em in, put the top on, and they are dust-proof until the next time they're needed. I put a plastic label on each vial to identify the die.

I also use the same vials to store cartridge gauges and similar-sized tooling.

Drilling a row of 1" holes in a piece of 1x4 lumber makes a perfect (and dirt cheap) rack for as many as you may need.