PDA

View Full Version : ground lead /lead sand?

unclebill
05-24-2014, 10:14 AM
i have a bunch of range lead and i want to turn it to the consistency of sand.
i am wondering if one of those old hand crank meat grinders would cut the lead?
dont worry about lead health issues (i dont)
i just need a good ,cheap method of doing this?
any help is as always appreciated

skeettx
05-24-2014, 10:32 AM
Are you wanting to make shot?
There are many shotmakers on the market
Mike

AlaskanGuy
05-24-2014, 10:41 AM
I dont think even a commercial meat grinder would do that... But I have no experience....

But I did take a chop saw with a plywood blade to a huge chunk of lead once, and after several cuts, I had a huge pile of lead grit... That is about as fine as one could get.... Maybe once it is fine like that, you could use a coffee grinder to make it sand sized.....

Whatcha gunna do with it once you get it ground up fine like that????

AG

bangerjim
05-24-2014, 10:45 AM
Why??????? We need more info.

banger

country gent
05-24-2014, 10:47 AM
What use is this intended for? How fine do you want it when finished? Is this an Idea for a heavy fill for sand bags or something else. I doubt a meat grinder would get it very fine and the life of the grinderwould be very short. A hand grinder for grain ( grist mill) would get it very fine but would require several passes and again life of the tool would be much shorter than normal. Most dont want moisture in their lead bu wetting the lead and working to dust would help to contain and control it it would also ease the work on the grinder.

DLCTEX
05-24-2014, 10:57 AM
The meat grinder is a no go. It works by extruding the meat through a plate with holes and then cutting the extruded pieces off. The lead would pack in and lock it down or exert enough pressure to break the plate. Mill type grinders will smear over the pores in the stone. A toothed cutter is the only way to go.

unclebill
05-24-2014, 11:03 AM
i want it for bench bag fill.
it is all cowboy action lead fragments.
i figured if anybody would know how to go about it.
you guys would!

unclebill
05-24-2014, 11:12 AM
just now i googled how to make powdered lead
and the very first result was this forum.
thats pretty funny

country gent
05-24-2014, 11:19 AM
Try number 9 or finer lead shot if you want a good heavy bag

JSnover
05-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Trade it for some lead shot.

unclebill
05-24-2014, 11:21 AM
yeah
i knew i would get solid advice here.
thanks fellas

i am just going to go with shot.
i have one bag filled with it and it does work well.
also i have 6 bags i made out of jeans legs filled with the fragments
i use them to stabilize my portable shooting bench.

salty dog
05-24-2014, 11:32 AM
You can make shot by pouring molten lead through a screen. It would be pretty crude, but you don't need pretty shot for the inside of a bag.

skeettx
05-24-2014, 02:31 PM
If you want a lighter GOOD bag, put wheat into a plastic liner and put it in your pants leg.
Liteweight, and molds around the rifle quite well
Mike

p.s. for ballast the lead filled bags should be just the ticket

country gent
05-24-2014, 02:54 PM
If you want to make your own from range lead a small stainless pan and drill some very small holes on one edge in the radious by small I mean .030 or even .020 diameter about 1/4" apartset a small sheet metal ledge at a down ward angle and melt pour molten lead into this. You want small drips not streams. let them roll down the ledge into a small bucket of water about 12" deep. Temp will be touchy doing it like this

unclebill
05-25-2014, 11:00 AM
a rear bag with lead shot filled almost tightly packed is perfect for gently squeezing to bring the butt up in tiny increments.
i love the one i made from leather.
when i get it in position
it stays there and doesnt move a smidgen

Silverboolit
05-25-2014, 06:22 PM
Have you tried Portland Cement and fine play sand?

LUCKYDAWG13
05-26-2014, 09:40 AM
i use rice in a zip-lock bag and a cutoff a leg from in old pair of levies and duct tape

John Boy
05-26-2014, 03:35 PM
i want it for bench bag fill.Gee, sounds like a lot of work when you can just go to a kid's playground and scoop up a bucket of sand!

UBER7MM
05-26-2014, 04:37 PM
i use rice in a zip-lock bag and a cutoff a leg from in old pair of levies and duct tape
I used pretty much the same but I used river sand instead of rice. Functions well and price was right!!!!

zuke
05-26-2014, 06:32 PM
I used bird food I bought at the dollar store to fill my shooting bag's.

bedbugbilly
05-26-2014, 08:03 PM
Portland Cement + sand + any moisture at all (even in atmosphere) over time will = cement.

I'd see if I couldn't trade it for some shot?

Rhoa4396
05-27-2014, 11:14 AM
You might want to look into granite sand or granite dust. It is something like sand, except the particles are sharp surfaced and tend to pack without moving much. It is sometimes used for walkways to maintain a pathway that is pretty much immune foot traffic.

Ken
=======