PDA

View Full Version : lee metford

enfield
01-12-2008, 08:46 AM
hello, need advice again [smilie=1: I was wondering what boolit / powder combination anyone is using in a lee metford. I have one that looks quite worn ( (how can ya tell with that wonky rifleing ) when I push a 314299 through the barrel it comes out smaller but no distinct rifeling. I just want to be able to shoot it and keep a few on the same page as none of my guns are ment to be wall hangers:roll:. any help would be appriciated.

DonH
01-12-2008, 09:56 AM
If the Metford was fired to any significant degree with cordite you may be out of luck. The inadequacy of the shallow Metford rifling with the newer powder brought the change to the Enfield pattern of rifling. I am interested to hear from others who have worked with the Metford-rifled barrels.

dromia
01-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Metford rifling can be shallow looking with its rounded cross section but it should still be distinct on a slug, try a magnifying glass. Groove diameter should be about .312", bore diameter obviously .303".

45nut is selling a dandy "V" measuring block on the Swapping and Selling forum that should work on Metford rifling even although its made for 5 groove. I've got one on its way across the pond as we speak so will let you know how it does.

I have good success with the Lyman 314299 sized to 314" just for lubing and they shoot good over 18gns of Vihtvuori N110.

Going to try out the new 311291 GB in a Long Lee Volunteer at the weekend, its dropping .313".

I'd shoot it and see.

dromia
01-16-2008, 02:27 PM
I got my block today and tried it on a couple of slugs.

My number 4T which is my main cast shooting No 4 came out at .3125" and a LSA Volunteer Long Lee Metford came out at .3115", both groove diameter. So it all seems about right to me.

Its a doddle to use and the formula/numbers are stamped onto the block so you don't need to be scratting about for bits of paper.

As far as I'm concerned its a must have tool for cast boolits as knowing bore dimensions is a key element to getting good bullet fit.

Thanks to Pepe Ray for making these and thanks Ken for getting them out into the world.:drinks: