PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought,,,,,,

Hamish
05-24-2014, 01:12 AM
While I personally am seeing things happening on this board that I do not like, both by leadership and membership, I keep coming back to one thought.

I finally joined this family after lurking and reading old threads for months and months. I'm not an "old timer" on the board by any stretch of the imagination, but I think I have basked in the warm glow of the Cast Boolits family long enough to be able to say:

What would Ken say if he saw how a bunch of us are acting?

I fully realize there are a bunch of folks who have not been here long enough to even begin to understand what I am saying when I ask that question, but there are a whole lot more of us who have been here long enough to understand.

How do you think Ken would feel seeing some of our actions in our little corner of the net that has always been meant to be just a little bit better, a place where your wife, or your kids could freely learn without the fear of seeing something that they shouldn't.

Just because we have a new man at the helm is no reason to forget how we are supposed to comport ourselves with each other.

This "new folks vs. old timers" thing is all so much malarkey. Most everyone knows how to act, and those of us who have been here long enough to have a clue have an obligation to help guide those with behavior problems to seeing that we just don't act like that here.

This train of thought also includes the attitude and dealings with staff,
I get the distinct impression that some of them feel like they have been backed against a wall and are under fire. If they once again knew that we were all pulling in the same direction I cannot help but think that they would not feel they have to resort to some of the drastic measures that have been taken lately.

Family doesn't always get along, but they do work past the friction,,,,,,,

EDIT: I am nauseated by how much profanity I am seeing, in every corner of the board, in EVERY thread. COME ON FOLKS! If you want to use a word that you think you have to disguise, then you know you should not be using that word in polite conversation to start with!

Boerrancher
05-24-2014, 10:09 AM
Well said my friend. Well said. There is nothing more that I can add to this thread other than to be in total agreement with everything you have said. As some of you here know my life has been nearly total chaos since November of 2013, which has kept me from being here some of the time, but also I have refrained from visiting due to some of the very things that Hamish has pointed out. I am one of the old timers although my post count does not show it. If I remember correctly there was less than 500 members when I joined. That doesn't make me any better or any worse than any other member. We do owe it to people like Felix, Bob Krack, and the other members who have long since departed this realm, and especially Ken, to keep this site as it was intended, A place were anyone, even my 9 and 10 year old boys can come and read about guns and and ammo and casting, and I don't have to worry about how many 4 letter words they are going to be asking me about, or see some of the bickering that takes place over foolish stuff. My life has been chaotic enough these last seven months, I don't want to have to see chaos in a place I like to go to take a break from it.

Best wishes,

Joe

GhostHawk
05-24-2014, 10:27 AM
A fact of the internet is that people come, and people go.

All we can do is learn to love them when they come, and miss them when they are gone.

People do change, it took me 15 years to get tired of flying, and of helping people learn to fly on an Internet WWII flight sim. And if you'd of told me at any time previous to my actual leaving I'd of called you a liar and spit in your eye. But it happened, and I left, and I watch most of our old crew fall away and be lost. It happens, people move on, they get old and tired, things change.

What counts is how we treat those who are hear now.

I agree with everything said above.

Go on like you started and things will be well. You have a very good community here, wise, warm, and loving.

Don't lose it to short sightedness and bickering. Family's will always squabble.

Mods you are the family's rule givers. Rules need to be enforced to the same standard to ALL. No exceptions.

Remember that power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Pick your guardians from those mature, and solid enough that the corruption starts slower, takes longer. Reluctant but willing lasts longest in my experience.

God Bless you all.

unclebill
05-24-2014, 10:30 AM
sometimes folks just get bored and stop doing something.
they dont leave angry
they just go do something else
i left this site for a couple years while i built a hotrod.
then wandered back. ;)

searcher4851
05-30-2014, 11:48 AM
I lurked and read for a couple of YEARS before I signed up. I couldn't agree with you more though. There has been a change of the 'tone' here at times. I'm hoping it is just a byproduct of the growing pains, and will even itself out eventually.

oneokie
05-30-2014, 06:03 PM
Gentlemen,

If you see a post that is offensive, Report It. In the lower left side of each post is a triangle with an exclamation mark in it. That is the report button.

We Moderators cannot read each and every post made here each day. We need your help/assistance in keeping the family friendly feel to this site. Ken started this Site with the goal of making it so. Let us all work together to keep it that way.

high standard 40
05-30-2014, 06:29 PM
A general behavior trait that we all see if we look for it, is that the internet is the perfect place for an individual to lash out without the fear of retaliation that a face to face encounter would entail. But I wasn't raised that way. (I'm now what many would call a "senior citizen"). I was taught and believe that if you can't say something civil in a conversation, don't say anything at all. In regards to guns in general and casting in particular, there are quite a few different approaches to achieve a given goal. The way you settle on one does not make it gospel and a point of argument when someone else disagrees with you. Sadly, our society is steadily drifting towards the inability to carry on a civil discourse. I blame some of this on the trends in social media and the personal disconnect it involves. When my time comes to meet my maker, I hope I am judged by the way I treated every person I encountered in my life, even strangers on the internet. Please Lord forgive me for the times I have failed in that mission.

nagantguy
05-30-2014, 06:41 PM
Here here Hamish well said and received. Posted my first and last profanity here or anywhere for that matter. I lurked and read for a long time, then joined cause I saw the best group of folks giving best advice all free for the asking. To make a family stronger each has to do there part, I alone control my part and I'm vowing to behave like the man I'd thought I'd be looking at my great grandpa as a boy.starts here starts now and it starts with me.

perotter
05-30-2014, 09:13 PM
I've noticed the non family language being used more here lately. Other than that, I haven't noticed anything any different than when I first started coming here.

Gun_nut83
05-30-2014, 10:33 PM
I realize that I'm only DAYS old here but, I've been reading a lot of the past threads(recent past not long past) trying to get accustomed to the page and how it's laid out and learning much about what I have come to realize I know very little on, as I've read I've noticed some "hostilities" and "edited comments due to content may be considered offensive" and something we may want to remember is when a comment is written it is just as it says.....sometimes we read too much into something and then become "insulted"(just an outsiders observation). Also while I don't have kids reading and learning what I am learning there may be children here and there have been quite a few "charactered" words when you read the context you know what's being said; which excessive. We can speak without using such language. Thus far this place seems very warm and welcoming and forthcoming with information, let's try and keep it as such.

I'm sorry if I'm speaking out of place here, just my observation from an outsiders perspective.

smoked turkey
05-31-2014, 12:33 AM
Thank you Hamish for your post. I could not agree more with what you said. I approach this forum as an invited guest that needs to listen more than I talk and to tread lightly when I do a post. I noticed your absence too Boerrancher and I have missed your posts. I understand your feelings and hope things get straightened out so there is no friction in the "family".

NewbieDave007
05-31-2014, 11:41 PM
I'm not an "old timer" but I'm on this forum at least daily (more likely several times each day).

I've found myself into a heated argument early on and used the triangle to rat myself out. I regret that instance and deleted my comments after I reported myself, but have used the triangle numerous times since as a way to help our dedicated, but severely outnumbered Mods. It truly works and it is an additional way that we can help protect the site that we all love.

Thank you oneokie and all the Mods for doing everything you can for this site and I for one will continue to help as I can.

Thanks.
Dave

Gentlemen,

If you see a post that is offensive, Report It. In the lower left side of each post is a triangle with an exclamation mark in it. That is the report button.

We Moderators cannot read each and every post made here each day. We need your help/assistance in keeping the family friendly feel to this site. Ken started this Site with the goal of making it so. Let us all work together to keep it that way.