PDA

View Full Version : A few of the swaged 375's patched

Buckshot
01-12-2008, 04:00 AM
http://www.fototime.com/826B799366DFB7B/standard.jpg

No, the boolit in the case isn't at it's correct seating depth :-) The Uberti Hi-Wall doesn't have a throat that long! I just stuck it in like that 'cause it looks kewl. Also, those 321 gr slugs probably wont' stabilize in the Uberti's 18" twist. I had only swaged up maybe 10 of'em so I thought I'd go ahead and patch'em up and give them a try anyway.

Those at 296grs should be just fine as the 18" twist will handle 300 grs. These ended up at .381". I've used up all my 9lb paper which was .0022" and would have given me a .382" slug. I had picked up some light vellum hoping it would replace the airmail paper. When I miked it it was .0027". That's too much as the measurement over the dried patch was a bit more then .384".

Luckily enough one day I was schlumping along after the wife as she cruised every freaking aisle at a craft store. The had an art dept and I perked up checking out some of the paper. I had tried Strathmore brand tracing paper before and while it was nice looking stuff, it would fall apart when wet. This place had some Academie brand, by Mead IIRC. I got it out and it miked .0017". A bit smaller then I wanted, however when wet it held together and would actually stretch.

So those swaged boolits in the photo are patched with that, and losing the half thou per wrap resulted in a .381" vs a .382" patched boolit. The groove is .3794" so this should still work well.

...................Buckshot

only1asterisk
01-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Luckily enough one day I was schlumping along after the wife as she cruised every freaking aisle at a craft store.

Been there, done that, have pics of the GIANT bottlerockets I put together for material found there...

I wonder if those might be ok in my .375 H&H no.1 with the giant throat and .377" bore. They would certainly make a mess of whatever they hit.

David