PDA

View Full Version : Smelting small volume with a hot plate and cast iron pot

kenn
05-23-2014, 08:27 PM
I've searched the site and either a)I'm not good at searching or b)there isn't a comprehensive thread.

Basically, I want to smelt some lead but I don't want to get into the turkey fryer and propane. I'm trying not to piss off my neighbors and will need to do this in small batches of 10-20 lbs, cool, reload the pot, heat it up, and so on. I'm not in a real rush to do a bunch so I can just smelt a little here and a little there. Are there any hot plate/cast iron pot combos that people recommend that will get the job done, albeit slower (much) than propane? Note I my energy is @ .08 cents a kilowatt hour so i'm not terribly concerned about the electricity.

http://www.amazon.com/Waring-SB30-1300-Watt-Portable-Single/dp/B000I14C7I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400891195&sr=8-1&keywords=1500w+electric+burner

That one has a dial thermostat, a cast iron burner, and is 1300W. Enough?

docone31
05-23-2014, 08:39 PM
Try, instead, going to thrift shops to find one. Melting lead takes heat, and you will trash the burner with the crud.
I suspect, you will need more heat. The one I use has two burners. One small, one large. I use the large one. Toss in the lead, add vegetable oil, turn on the heat and it is ready in about 15minutes.
You might also consider making ingots somehow. Corn bread mold, any thing cast iron like that. They store easier, melt fast in the pot. You can also control the alloy mix that way.
Just melting the lead and letting the pot cool, I could eject the buttons, but, they did not fit well going back in. For that I use the smaller burner and a cast iron pan. The smaller ingots fit inside the larger pan for remelting.
I have gone through several burners so far. This puts a strain on them. Keep the wind away from the pot, it slows the melting and in some cases almost stops it completely.
For that, I use corrugated board. An old box works well.
Good luck.

bangerjim
05-23-2014, 10:13 PM
I use a Lee 4# melter. Great for small batches. It is 500W and costs very little. Just melt, pick it up with leather gloves, and pour into you ingot molds. Melts lead pretty fast if you are not doing 200-300# like some on here do!

I use it all the time for clean lead and alloys.....NOT WW's!

banger

kenn
05-23-2014, 11:05 PM
I should have been more clear. I am going to buy a small bottom pour unit but I need to smelt lead weights in something else. I don't mind making 20-30lbs of 1lb ingots over a couple of hours using 1lb ingots. I just don't want to get into the burners if I can avoid it. Will the lee magnum work? It seems like the opening is so small (4") to effectively melt wheel weights.

bangerjim
05-23-2014, 11:17 PM
You CAN melt WW's in the Lee non-bottom pour pots. I just don't. Not much room.

They are very inexpensive and I use mine all the time as I said, for small batches of alloys.

I would avoid the cooking burner....and any cooking appliance for heating lead!!!!! Toaster ovens are great for baking PC, but leave the muffin tins, spoons, pots, pans, and burners to the cook!

I do use a hot plate like above to pre-heat my molds and ingots when casting! That is almost MANDATORY to get good boolits.

banger

Bullshop Junior
05-24-2014, 12:31 AM
I usually just fill my pot up with ww skim and cast. It may take two fillings to get all te way full because of the clips but it works. I have been using a lee 10lb bottom pour. I have also melted lean in a pot on a small electric burner from walmart that I got for 10 bucks

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
05-24-2014, 01:05 AM
Go to the local dollar store or big lots. Find yourself an electric burner with exposed heating elements like an electric stove would have. That'll be cheaper and cost less than the fancy one you've provided a link to that won't work well due to the safety cover dissipating more heat than you'd like.

After that, get yourself a stainless steel frying pan, about six inches in diameter and about 1 1/2 to 2 inches deep. Don't get too crazy and it'll do the job for you. Not a large quantity at a time, but certainly won't get your neighbors upset either.

BTW, smelting in your back yard where it's hard for neighbors to see while using a meat smoker is a good way to go with a turkey fryer setup. If they smell the meat smoker, they'll assume you're cooking and won't get upset.

At the end of the day, after you've cleaned up your wheel weight setup and washed your hands, you'll have some delicious meat for supper.:) For more information, check out smokingmeat dot com.

And no, I'm not affiliated over there, other than a happy rookie who got smoking equipment, then cooking advice over there. Yesterday, while my son in law was helping me install a impeller kit in my dishwasher, we smoked two corned beef slabs turning them into pastrami and a beef roast turning it into bbq beef. Ate the bbq beef for supper with homemade cole slaw/baked potatoes and made sandwiches for lunch with the very fresh pastrami.:)

See, you can combine hobbies, but it'll make ya fat and happy.

shoot-n-lead
05-24-2014, 03:04 AM
How close do you live to your neighbors?

Can't imagine that the turkey fryer would offend them. I do not have neighbors that are very close, but my turkey fryer does not generate a lot of smoke and makes the smelting a breeze...and is cheap.

bangerjim
05-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Many times you don't need a bazillion BTU turkey fryer using a 20# tank of propane in 20 minutes to melt 20-30# of stuff. I only fire up my plumber's furnace when I need to melt a LOT of lead in a short time. Propane costs are absolutely ridiculous today!!!! Really adds to the overall cost of boolits.

The cost of a 500W Lee small pot is much less in initial cost and energy used. And takes less space and can pulled off the shelf and be set up less than a minute.

And NO noise of the burner on my furnace!!

Melt away!

banger

dek16001
05-24-2014, 11:38 AM
I purchased a 4" diameter cast iron pot and use my LP camping stove . Works wonderful for those small batches. I think the pot was made by Lodge. It was under 10 bucks.
Dan

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-24-2014, 11:47 AM
I use a Coleman gasoline campstove and a 4qt stainless steel soup pot. I start out with the Pot heaping full of COWW's, and yield about 35lbs of ingots...That takes about 45 minutes. A Quart of Gasoline (what the coleman tank holds) lasts about 2 hours. The smokiness comes from the Flux and garbage you choose not to sort out of your COWW's. Once I did 3 buckets of Auto Battery terminals, many had some plastic insulation on them...That was a Smoky, stinky mess...But I'd do it again :)

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/100_1008.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/100_1008.jpg.html)

WILCO
05-24-2014, 11:56 AM
Basically, I want to smelt some lead but I don't want to get into the turkey fryer and propane. I'm trying not to piss off my neighbors and will need to do this in small batches of 10-20 lbs, cool, reload the pot, heat it up, and so on. I'm not in a real rush to do a bunch so I can just smelt a little here and a little there. Are there any hot plate/cast iron pot combos that people recommend that will get the job done, albeit slower (much) than propane? Note I my energy is @ .08 cents a kilowatt hour so i'm not terribly concerned about the electricity.

http://www.amazon.com/Waring-SB30-1300-Watt-Portable-Single/dp/B000I14C7I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400891195&sr=8-1&keywords=1500w+electric+burner

That one has a dial thermostat, a cast iron burner, and is 1300W. Enough?

Hi Kenn!

Here's a link to my first casting and smelting set up: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?55896-My-lead-smelting-set-up
I'm strictly a small batch operation when it comes to producing lead ingots and boolits.
Hotplates with a wire coil and 1000 watts work best. A cheap small cast iron skillet with some type of metal lid will suit your needs too.

mold maker
05-24-2014, 12:04 PM
Yard sale or flea market coleman stove is inexpensive to use, and does double duty. Using sawdust to clean the dirt/clips, and oxides, gets rid of the foul smoke and smells good at the same time. Cast iron is great, but a SS 1-2 qt pot (goodwill) is cheap and works. Just don't depend on the handles , use a soup dipper to ladle the melt into ingot molds.

Beesdad
05-24-2014, 01:36 PM
I would recommend the Lee mag. pot.... About $ 50.00 and your done nothing else to purchase. The hot plates I have purchased do not melt lead very well ... Way to slow.

jmort
05-24-2014, 01:40 PM
I have a Lee Precision Magnum Melter and recommend it.

WILCO
05-24-2014, 01:42 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?158278-Hot-plate-for-Ingots&highlight=hotplate

WILCO
05-24-2014, 01:44 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?80950-Wallgreens-hot-plate-for-smelting&highlight=smelting+hotplate

zxcvbob
05-24-2014, 01:45 PM
Don't get that hotplate; you want one with exposed coils. The solid top ones don't get hot enough.

I've rendered over 1000 lbs of lead in the past couple of years, 10 or 15# at a time, on an electric hotplate in an old stainless steel saucepan. Works great but a little slow. And electricity is a lot cheaper than propane.

A cast iron pot will slow you down quite a bit compared to steel.

kenn
05-24-2014, 10:35 PM
Thanks for all the feedback folks. I took the advice of a couple of posters here and got a Lee Magnum on order. I figured I'd use it to both smelt small batches/ingots, then clean it out and use it to ladle cast bullets. At some point, if I get good at this, I'll order a lee bottom feed and use it only with clean lead.

GhostHawk
05-24-2014, 10:51 PM
I've made my ingots for years with a cast iron fry pan.

Sometimes outdoors on gas grill, wood fire, or indoors on gas stove.

I have to admit I prefer the stove even with the cleanup after.

But it can also be nice to sit around a wood or charcoal fire lazily smelting lead. Long sleeves, gloves, and beverages well away thank you.

I also second checking the second hand stores for a good used heater. And I have to admit I've wondered about those new electric induction cook top units. All the mess out of the house and out onto the deck, lots of fresh air.

Airman Basic
05-24-2014, 10:57 PM
As others have said, I use the Lee Magnum Melter for smelting. Does enough to keep me casting, instant setup:
http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-Magnum-Melter-Grey/dp/B00162RW52
Cheap, too.

Beesdad
05-25-2014, 10:10 AM
As others have said, I use the Lee Magnum Melter for smelting. Does enough to keep me casting, instant setup:
http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-Magnum-Melter-Grey/dp/B00162RW52
Cheap, too.

Now that is the best deal I have seen... Free shipping too

Green Frog
05-25-2014, 02:00 PM
Just reading this thread, I remembered that I have an antique lead casting set (1930s?) to make toy lead soldiers. The lead melter is a small dipper looking device with an electric coil included inside. For short test runs of bullets with a new mould or alloy, I'm thinking this might be the way to go. :cbpour: Has anyone else tried this technique?

Froggie

zxcvbob
05-25-2014, 02:39 PM
I burned up my old hotplate yesterday, literally *smelting* on it (reducing lead oxide to metal) rather than just melting lead scrap. I should know better by now, but I had about 5 pounds of lead oxide...

The new hotplate from Walgreens gets plenty hot enough, but its thermostat cycles off and on too much so it really takes a long time.

I am thinking about digging the old one out of the trash (the heating element still works just fine) and making an open metal frame for it instead of the enclosed plastic that burned up. Have the element on all the time w/ no switch, and open sides where the air can circulate so the wires don't burn up. I can silver-solder the connections because the slip-on connectors seem to be what eventually lose springiness, get loose, overheat, and start the fire.

If that Lee magnum pot was 5 or 6 inches instead of just 4 I'd be all over it.

dikman
05-25-2014, 09:23 PM
Froggie, no reason that shouldn't work - as long as it's only clean lead that goes in.

bruce381
05-25-2014, 10:51 PM
""start the fire""
that kinda sounds like a deal breaker to me

zxcvbob
05-26-2014, 12:19 AM
""start the fire""
that kinda sounds like a deal breaker to me

Yeah, that's why I'm looking for a higher-temperature connector (braze it with 40% silver) when I rebuild it on an open metal frame.

I don't think those cheap plastic hotplates were designed for running full-tilt for over an hour. I was kind of abusing it cooking the lead oxide, right after melting 20 pounds of lead w/o letting it cool down.[smilie=1:

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-26-2014, 12:30 PM
Just reading this thread, I remembered that I have an antique lead casting set (1930s?) to make toy lead soldiers. The lead melter is a small dipper looking device with an electric coil included inside. For short test runs of bullets with a new mould or alloy, I'm thinking this might be the way to go. :cbpour: Has anyone else tried this technique?

Froggie

Like this ?
except the coil is not inside the ladle
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hot-Pot/743503.uts?productVariantId=1583268&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=743503&rid=40&channel=GoogleBaseUSA&mr:trackingCode=5A859052-F5D2-DF11-82EF-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla_with_promotion&mr:ad=36061676111&mr:keyword&mr:match&mr:filter=50604242335&gclid=CjgKEAjwzIucBRDzjIz9qMOB3TASJABBIwL1A7xGZi9l thsdw1B-WJk8ftQ_ZyizQTjWWkHMOoD0nvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

boho
05-26-2014, 03:01 PM
PM sent to GhostHawk for info on campfire smelting.

Green Frog
05-26-2014, 07:17 PM
Like this ?
except the coil is not inside the ladle
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hot-Pot/743503.uts?productVariantId=1583268&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=743503&rid=40&channel=GoogleBaseUSA&mr:trackingCode=5A859052-F5D2-DF11-82EF-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla_with_promotion&mr:ad=36061676111&mr:keyword&mr:match&mr:filter=50604242335&gclid=CjgKEAjwzIucBRDzjIz9qMOB3TASJABBIwL1A7xGZi9l thsdw1B-WJk8ftQ_ZyizQTjWWkHMOoD0nvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sort of, but not exactly. I'll have to drag it out for my next casting session and see whether it still works. I'm thinking it will be just the thing to make a run of 25 test bullets using a new mould or a different alloy. If it actually works out, I'll try to include a picture of the ladle.

Froggie

hendere
05-27-2014, 09:48 PM
I've used a hot plate for a few years now, along with a Lyman 10 pound pot. I'm guessing I've done about 450 pounds of wheel weights and plumbing lead. I picked up a yard sale Coleman gas stove a while back, and this weekend I bought an $8 stainless 3 quart sauce pan from Walmart. It was easily twice as fast, both for scooping the dross and for melting. I can't see going back to the hot plate. Also, just for the record, I've had neighbors come over to see what the smell is when I've done large amounts (for me anyway) in the past. I get along well with them and it wasn't a problem, but if your neighbors aren't as cool as mine I can see someone complaining when the wheelweights are really dirty.

cdngunner
05-28-2014, 04:00 PM
No problem

http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t477/yomma4/IMG_20140410_174210_zps38040a3d.jpg (http://s1061.photobucket.com/user/yomma4/media/IMG_20140410_174210_zps38040a3d.jpg.html)

Green Frog
05-28-2014, 04:46 PM
I'm getting a "bad link" message for the attachment, cdngunner. What should I be seeing"

Froggie

AlaskanGuy
05-28-2014, 06:30 PM
I use a Coleman gasoline campstove and a 4qt stainless steel soup pot. I start out with the Pot heaping full of COWW's, and yield about 35lbs of ingots...That takes about 45 minutes. A Quart of Gasoline (what the coleman tank holds) lasts about 2 hours. The smokiness comes from the Flux and garbage you choose not to sort out of your COWW's. Once I did 3 buckets of Auto Battery terminals, many had some plastic insulation on them...That was a Smoky, stinky mess...But I'd do it again :)

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/100_1008.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/100_1008.jpg.html)

Jon, i cant believe your doing this.. Dont you know them plastics and battery terminal and such are toxic??. And... And.. Awww heck.. I do it too... :P

UBER7MM
05-28-2014, 07:09 PM
Try melting them in a coffee can over a camp fire.....

popper
05-28-2014, 07:45 PM
I do as JonB - minus the handle that broke off. I do use the Academy $25 fryer & the bottle off the outdoor grill. Wife just gave me a 8 hole steel muffin tin she was throwing out. I started smelting with the sauce pan & a MAPP torch. NO, the hot plate will not work well or very long. Remove the rubber & junk before you smelt & it won't smoke much. Just tell em you got some bad meat.

gwpercle
05-29-2014, 04:52 PM
I bought a new hot plate, like the one in your post and returned it...there is some sort of safety device that keeps shutting the electricity off just as the lead was starting to melt. This makes them useless. An old one with exposed coils might work, but these new ones don't.
Before getting a Lee electric pot (which melts just fine) I cast from an iron pot on the kitchen stove, gas or electric will get hot enough. Have a vented hood over the stove and would turn fan on high to keep any fumes/smoke out the house.
Gary

shadowcaster
05-29-2014, 09:23 PM
A cast iron or heavy steel pot will be fine for small batches, but electric burners are slow and will often cycle. they are best suited to mold warmers. I would just bite the boolit and get a propane burner for smelting. This one is just right for small batches, doesn't cost much, and will run off the small propane bottles or a larger one.

http://www.kitchenemporium.com/Evoo-EGB-01-Single-Cast-Iron-Burner-15k-BTU_p_26028.html#.U4fdmFIUUwo

Good luck
Shad

kenn
05-30-2014, 08:38 AM
In case you guys missed it earlier in the thread, I got a Lee Magnum Melter (electric 20lb) to smelt AND cast initially. I'll get a Lee bottom pour at some point but for the time being, I'll do both in this pot. I got a Rowell #1 to ladle and I'll be using pine sawdust for flux.

shadowcaster
05-30-2014, 10:11 PM
In case you guys missed it earlier in the thread, I got a Lee Magnum Melter (electric 20lb) to smelt AND cast initially. I'll get a Lee bottom pour at some point but for the time being, I'll do both in this pot. I got a Rowell #1 to ladle and I'll be using pine sawdust for flux.

If you use only 1 pot, make sure you clean it very thoroughly between every smelting and casting session. If not, you will end up with dirt and junk in your boolits.

Shad

kenn
05-31-2014, 01:31 PM
If you use only 1 pot, make sure you clean it very thoroughly between every smelting and casting session. If not, you will end up with dirt and junk in your boolits.

Shad

Yeah, I know that's an extra step I'm going to have to take. For the time being, I'll live with it until I'm certain I'm going to continue with this casting stuff. I've already got a magnum, two molds, rowell ladle, lead, bucket for quenching, fan to keep smoke away, and stick to bang the handle screw. I'll smelt 10-15 lbs of lead in the magnum, flux it clean, and cast a few hundred of each bullet. If I like the outcome in my weapons, i'll invest in a lee bottom pour and relegate my magnum to casting ingots.

Green Frog
05-31-2014, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I know that's an extra step I'm going to have to take. For the time being, I'll live with it until I'm certain I'm going to continue with this casting stuff. I've already got a magnum, two molds, rowell ladle, lead, bucket for quenching, fan to keep smoke away, and stick to bang the handle screw. I'll smelt 10-15 lbs of lead in the magnum, flux it clean, and cast a few hundred of each bullet. If I like the outcome in my weapons, i'll invest in a lee bottom pour and relegate my magnum to casting ingots.

Sounds like you've got a plan, Kenn. ANNND it sounds like a good one. You will be able to get a lot of casting done with only a little extra effort and a LOTTT less expen$e. I think you will enjoy your new-found hobby and of course as you discover more and different equipment you can use, you can easily buy it at your own pace. I do kind of envy you the journey you are beginning. Enjoy the ride! :mrgreen:

Regards,
Froggie

kenn
05-31-2014, 06:28 PM
Thanks, Froggie. I just came back from Home Depot and one of the workers was kind enough to let me take a giant bag of sawdust from one of their cutting stations. Flux is now taken care of. Will be prepping the molds today with comet first, then probably brake cleaner as a solvent with q-tips to clean them up afterward. I also picked up a NIOSH lead mask for $10 at home depot. I look forward to the journey and, quite honestly, can't do it without this forum. I have just a few more items inbound and a couple more to buy. Lead thermometer is on the way. Hoping to find a cast iron muffin pan at Goodwill as well as a cheap as heck toaster oven to experiment with powder coating along with Alox. Too many things to do but I want to get started off on the right foot so I don't get discouraged early.

Green Frog
05-31-2014, 06:37 PM
I like to shoot as many of my bullets as possible as-cast. For those, I can use the well-documented Dale53 Pan Lubing Technique. I haven't tried powder coating, but a half pound of Emmert's Lube and a silicone brownie pan make a cheap and effective way of getting the lube step taken care of.

Froggie

cdngunner
06-03-2014, 02:46 PM
I'm getting a "bad link" message for the attachment, cdngunner. What should I be seeing"

Froggie

fixed it