PDA

View Full Version : Starting up what do I need?

cpttango30
01-12-2008, 02:07 AM
Hello all. I am new to the board and looking to start casting some time soon. I have been reloading for about 26 years so far. Right now I have one caliber I would be casting for 45acp. I like the 200gr I have been shooting 200gr Laser Cast but they are getting way to spendy for me. I have access to a 55 gal drum full to the top of used shotgun shot So i have some start up lead.

What I really need to know is what is the basics for starting into casting boolits?
Do I need a separate press to size newly cast bullets? I have a RCBS RS5 press I reload on. Also how do you get the lube on the bullets? Can you give me a book that would go threw the steps of doing it.
Here is what I am looking at right now.

Lee Melter Furnace 110 Volt
Lee 4-Cavity Ingot Mold with Handle
Lee Lead Dipper
Lee Commercial Bullet Mold Handles for 6-Cavity Lee Bullet Molds
Lee 6-Cavity Bullet Mold 452-200-RF 452 Diameter 200 Grain Flat Nose
DGL Bullet Lube 12 oz Tub
Frankford Arsenal Drop Out Bullet Mold Release Agent and Lube 6 oz Aerosol

Buckshot
01-12-2008, 05:24 AM
Hello all. I am new to the board and looking to start casting some time soon. I have been reloading for about 26 years so far. Right now I have one caliber I would be casting for 45acp. I like the 200gr I have been shooting 200gr Laser Cast but they are getting way to spendy for me. I have access to a 55 gal drum full to the top of used shotgun shot So i have some start up lead.

That barrel of shot will be a start.

What I really need to know is what is the basics for starting into casting boolits?

Heat. Something to hold the heated lead and something to pour the heated lead into. 'Bout as simple as that. Your list below looks fine.

Do I need a separate press to size newly cast bullets?

Well no, not like you're thinking. You DO use a reloading press with the Lee type push through dies, but they don't lube.

I have a RCBS RS5 press I reload on. Also how do you get the lube on the bullets?

For lube-sizing you need a Lube-sizer press. These take changeable dies, and have a lube reservoir where the lube is pressurized (in a couple ways) to flow through holes in the die and to the boolit. Each die is machined to a particular size. For 30 cal you commonly have .308, .309, .310, .311, .312, and .314" They skip .313" for some reason.

Can you give me a book that would go threw the steps of doing it.

The best most commonly available book is the Lyman Cast Bullet manual. It's load data is 40 years out of date but still useable.

Here is what I am looking at right now.

Lee Melter Furnace 110 Volt

Good. Get the 20 pounder for sure. DO NOT render that shot down in your casting furnace. You need something else dedicated to that. Check the very top sticky on this forum for one guys approach. I use a turkey roaster deal. Go to the thrift store and get a cast iron, or stainless steel pot. You'll need a heat source. If you have a Coleman camp stove they work great.

Lee 4-Cavity Ingot Mold with Handle

Er.............. if you have 6 quarts of molten lead, you and that little Lee ingot mould will be VERY busy :-). Gitcherself a couple mini loaf pans, cupcake pans, muffin pans, etc. THEN you'll be in bidness!

Lee Lead Dipper

Forget the Lee dipper as it's utterly worthless. If you want a dipper get the Lyman or RCBS dipper.

Lee Commercial Bullet Mold Handles for 6-Cavity Lee Bullet Molds
Lee 6-Cavity Bullet Mold 452-200-RF 452 Diameter 200 Grain Flat Nose

Good start. It's a beginning.

DGL Bullet Lube 12 oz Tub

Don't know what it is or how you apply it?

Frankford Arsenal Drop Out Bullet Mold Release Agent and Lube 6 oz Aerosol

Forget the mould drop out spray. Get some Bic type disposable butane lighters and use these to just smudge the cavities. That spray stuff builds up, plus it decreases the size of your freshly foundered foom fodder.

Check down at the bottom of the board for an advertiser (and member) "The Bullshop". Immediately order some Bullplate Lube. It's magic and will make that Lee mould sing!

..............Buckshot

dmftoy1
01-12-2008, 07:27 AM
Holy Cow! a BARREL full of shot . . . can you post a picture? I want to have a calendar made and put it next to my bench. :)

skullmount
01-12-2008, 08:07 AM
If you really get the "bug" you will need lots of $$$

45nut
01-12-2008, 08:55 AM
I heartily recommend the Lee Pro 4-20 over the std 20lb Lee. Still wish I had a RCBS Pro Melt but the above does a good job for $60.00 or so.

Lee 4-Cavity Ingot Mold with Handle will do but as said,, one is not enough and muffin pans work great.
Lee Lead Dipper.. Buckshot's advice gets a 2nd here.

Lee Commercial Bullet Mold Handles for 6-Cavity Lee Bullet Molds ok.
Lee 6-Cavity Bullet Mold 452-200-RF 452 Diameter 200 Grain Flat Nose ok.
DGL Bullet Lube 12 oz Tub ,, well that will work for pan lubing but you will need a few other items to make it work,, a way to size the finished boolits and a way to pop them from the lube. You can get a Lee push-thru die for the sizing and look at Goatlips' site for pan lubing techniques.
http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/panlubing.html and shop the Lar45 LSStuff link below for great lube at great prices.
Note, pan lubing for a 200gr pistol boolit from a 6 cav will get tedious fast......
Lots of good info on his other pages for smelting and more.
Frankford Arsenal Drop Out Bullet Mold Release Agent and Lube 6 oz Aerosol .. no experience with either but Buckshots advice will certainly get another 2nd from me.