PDA

View Full Version : 22 ammo ordeal!!

badbob454
05-23-2014, 12:22 PM
went to sportsmans warehouse got in line at the back door .. went in to buy 22 ammo there was a short line in the back and a long line in the front .. unknown to me was a small sign stating ammo sales go to the front door , well i went in just as the front door was letting in people so i merged into line , some fellas were extremely rude and yelling at me and some others so i left the store ... not worth getting in a fight over a 100 round limit on .22 ammo, jheez what happened to sportsmanslike conduct , i always figured shooters to be a band of brothers , this experience really took me back...

Bullshop Junior
05-23-2014, 12:25 PM
Obama. Bill Clinton before him. And so on.

MrWolf
05-23-2014, 12:26 PM
You probably got in line with the gougers buying what little is available for resale. Shame on how things are nowadays.

badbob454
05-23-2014, 12:28 PM
fe;t like someone would get in a fist fight over something so trifle , i didnt see a sign or i wouldnt have waited at the back door , bummer

Pb2au
05-23-2014, 12:52 PM
wow.
Reminds me of grade school when kids would scream at each other for "cutting" in line.
Good move on leaving. No sense in getting into a situation over that kind of non-sense.

slide
05-23-2014, 01:00 PM
I saw three guys get into a shoving match when the guy working in sporting goods at wally world rolled out a buggy that had three 50 round boxes in it. If I hadn't caught the old fella they would have knocked him down. Sickening that grown men would act like that.

Freightman
05-23-2014, 01:32 PM
The reason i got rid of the last 22

starmac
05-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Must be why I don't do the standing in line thing, and I'm not talking about just 22 ammo either. I literally hate standing in line for any reason.

David2011
05-23-2014, 03:11 PM
You probably got in line with the gougers buying what little is available for resale. Shame on how things are nowadays.

I've started to refer to them as scaplers. Just seems more fitting. Capitalism is one thing. Helping create a shortage to take financial advantage of it is different IMO.

David

dragon813gt
05-23-2014, 03:32 PM
You found out the hard way that there is no "shooting community". If there was everyone would be an NRA member. You found out how selfish people in this country really are. No one was hurt which is always a good thing. The idea of a shooting community has been dead for a long time. It's a harsh reality and I don't know a way to correct it.

C. Latch
05-23-2014, 03:40 PM
My LGS had .22lr bricks yesterday and managed to keep them throughout most of the day. Folks seem to be calming down around here.

9w1911
05-23-2014, 03:45 PM
You found out the hard way that there is no "shooting community". If there was everyone would be an NRA member. You found out how selfish people in this country really are.--absolutely true, and up here near Reno those 22 bricks that sold at Sportsman this morning are on Armslist by the afternoon. Also that style of buying has gone unabated here in Reno for a long time.

dakotashooter2
05-23-2014, 03:51 PM
Get a dial with 12 numbers on it. When the load comes in spin the dial. At the time indicated the first 2 boxes go out. after the first two are sold spin the dial and the next two boxes go out and so on and so forth. That way nobody knows ahead of time when they are going out. Should cut down on the hoarders and scalpers...

Or when you come in the store a number is asigned and at a specific time a lottery is held.........

If someone gets that bent out of shape over a box or 2 of .22 shells they probably shouldn't have a gun or ammo.....

trapper9260
05-23-2014, 08:23 PM
This is a crazy country now and no more people being people the way they use to be years ago.You done the right thing to walk away.Too much of that is going on now. It is sad that it all comes to this for how they are all acting now.It sound like people fight over food when there is not much.but that happened when the food stamps was shut if I remember some time ago for how they all acted.

lonewelder
05-23-2014, 08:33 PM
Can someone tell me why evereybody wants 22 ammo so bad.yea the kids shoot it and me maybe the 1-3 days a year for hunting limb rats but why is it so important,l could go the rest of my life w/o shooting a 22 and be fine.

dragon813gt
05-23-2014, 08:42 PM
I have 12 firearms chambered in 22. As much as I like reloading. I also like shooting rimfire and not having to worry about chasing brass or spending the time to reload. I like shooting it because it's more of a challenge at long distances. I will easily shoot two bricks a week if my stepdaughter goes shooting w/ me. By this time next year I will start to be worried if things don't normalize.

jcwit
05-23-2014, 09:12 PM
Can someone tell me why evereybody wants 22 ammo so bad.yea the kids shoot it and me maybe the 1-3 days a year for hunting limb rats but why is it so important,l could go the rest of my life w/o shooting a 22 and be fine.

Try Benchrest Rimfire.

freebullet
05-23-2014, 09:33 PM
Must be why I don't do the standing in line thing, and I'm not talking about just 22 ammo either. I literally hate standing in line for any reason.

Lol, +infinity! If everyone wants something that bad I don't want it at all. I am begining to literally HATE 22lr just because of all this nonsense. I'd stay home and cast/load my own before even attempting to buy 22. I say twentytwosforfoos. But, but, but, no, I don't care, I don't want it, & would laugh if they quit making it.

Garyshome
05-23-2014, 11:06 PM
Just an opportunity to shoot some other stuff that I have ammo for!

Blacksmith
05-24-2014, 12:45 AM
Dragon813gt Village Arms in Gap usually has it on the shelf quantity limited. SE PA.

lead-1
05-24-2014, 02:39 AM
Guy in my hometown had four bricks for sale, too high but the lowballers were beating on him pretty bad.
I had a guy offer to trade me a box of fifty 22 Hornets for a brick of 22LR, since condom coated Hornets are $49-52 a box around here I went ahead and gave the guy $37 a brick for the 22LR that I can give as graduation presents or trade them off.
My kids will probably gain a brick eack for their collection and I will have two left to deal away.

badbob454
05-24-2014, 02:53 AM
i have 3 rifles and one pistol in 22 LR, i keep about a thousand rounds on hand for survival , just in case...I buy new , shoot the old... must be my boy scout ,be prepared coming out.. he he

dragon813gt
05-24-2014, 08:04 AM
Dragon813gt Village Arms in Gap usually has it on the shelf quantity limited. SE PA.

Yeah, thanks for the heads up. I get out there every now and then. I can find it closer to me but it's the same limits. By normalize it means I will be able to buy it by the case again. I still have plenty but depending on much the stepdaughter shoots this summer I will need to think about starting to buy it again.

762 shooter
05-24-2014, 09:42 AM
22LR has a loooooong way to go to catch up to demand. A long way. I know if it ever comes back to approaching semi-normal availability/price, I will buy a bunch. And I have some now.

There is just no perfect substitute for 22LR. Unfortunately one of the main draws for 22 in the past was the economics. That benefit may be a thing of the past.

sparky45
05-24-2014, 09:51 AM
I quit doing that right after BootCamp!!

Bonz
05-24-2014, 10:13 AM
I was just watching www.gunbot.net for 22's to fall below .10 a round and I buy some, almost like a second job. The only sad thing is, because of this 'man made created shortage', I stopped shooting my .22 pistol and rifle because I just don't want to deal with this BS. I'm just gonna wait this one out, not worth the aggravation, especially when I can shoot all the .380, 9mm, .38, .357, 40, 45 and 500 magnum that I want to. Maybe I'll buy a 44 magnum so I can have some variety... ;-)

MT Gianni
05-24-2014, 11:13 AM
For me the one advantage that 22 lr still has is portability. I can throw 100 rds in a backpack and walk all over without knowing it's there. I can't do that with 45, though i can load 45 for a lower price.

Echo
05-24-2014, 11:38 AM
I have something less than a thousand rounds of .22LR, and that will last me 'til I die...

ktw
05-24-2014, 12:10 PM
I have 12 firearms chambered in 22. As much as I like reloading. I also like shooting rimfire and not having to worry about chasing brass or spending the time to reload. I like shooting it because it's more of a challenge at long distances. I will easily shoot two bricks a week if my stepdaughter goes shooting w/ me. By this time next year I will start to be worried if things don't normalize.

I picked up a pair of used 45 caliber TC Hawkens for my daughters a few years back so that they could participate in the local traditional muzzleoader winter league with me. We have also taken up using them to replace 22lr plinking between league shoots.

Fairly cheap on the used market. Not hard to keep black powder and round balls in stock. No loading cartridges ahead of time and no brass to chase. The loading process means 40 or 50 shots is a full day, rather than a couple of hundred rounds apiece of 22lr.

They also have Bear recurve bows which they enjoy shooting just as much as they used to enjoy plinking with a 22. And we can do that here in the yard without having to travel to a range.

-ktw

GOPHER SLAYER
05-24-2014, 12:43 PM
I feel like the man with a huge land yacht when gasoline prices go through the roof are isn't there at all. I have five .22 pistols and five .22 rifles. I was given 30,000 rounds of .22 several years ago along with thousands of rounds of other ammo but at the time the .22 ammo had little value since it was only not target grade. I had to get rid of it for lack of storage space so I gave most of it away. I did save six bricks which I still have but it is still just for killing rouge tin cans.

9.3X62AL
05-24-2014, 12:59 PM
I've given some thought to why this 22 rimfire ammo shortage irritates me so profoundly. It does, no doubt about it. I'm in fair shape in terms of supply, and can always refill my centerfires with castings at less cost than buying 22 LR. So, why the annoyance?

Here are my thoughts, for what they are worth. The depth and duration of this shortage tells me that the manufacturing companies really don't give a ragged rip about customer service. They have a supply stream--they have a manufacturing capacity--and they have years of production levels and sales records, and they refuse to be stirred out of those self-imposed limits, regardless what the market dictates--more to the point, IN SPITE OF what the market demands. When confronted with this information, their typical response has been to "Blame the consumers", as Steve Hornady did in ad copy in March of 2013. While there could be a grain of truth to what Mr. Hornady said, his comments were lamely made and an ungrateful response to a market clamoring for his and his competitors' products. I will keep his comments in mind when making component purchases in the future, be certain of that.

I will also bear in mind the retailers who priced their bricks of 22 LR from $60-$100 during this period, and you can rest assured they will get no business from me--now or ever again.

Finally, I am deeply disgusted by the scalpers/flippers, and sickened by the pigs that show such unseemly behavior to fellow shooters. They should be ashamed of themselves. Texts above that state "There is no 'shooting community'" may be correct--just a passel of avaricious azzhats out to grift every dime out of every possible source they can strangle. Sure as h--l, some fool will come along in this thread and pontificate about how "That's economics in action, supply and demand, the buyers keep the circle turning". By such utterances, we can pretty much identify the flippers and gougers within our membership, and I thank them for the self-admissions.

Love Life
05-24-2014, 01:12 PM
During this shortage I have bought a 22 Crickett for my daughter and my son. With each of those rifles I bought them 1 brick of match 22lr. I am now up to 2 bricks of match 22lr. I now have handguns in 32 S&W long and 38 S&W for the transition to center fire. I reckon if they don't have it figured out (shooting) by the 1,000 rd mark then it is time to get them into computers!!

M-Tecs
05-24-2014, 01:45 PM
went to sportsmans warehouse got in line at the back door .. went in to buy 22 ammo there was a short line in the back and a long line in the front .. unknown to me was a small sign stating ammo sales go to the front door , well i went in just as the front door was letting in people so i merged into line , some fellas were extremely rude and yelling at me and some others so i left the store ... not worth getting in a fight over a 100 round limit on .22 ammo, jheez what happened to sportsmanslike conduct , i always figured shooters to be a band of brothers , this experience really took me back...

In the past I have waited in long lines only to find I am in the wrong line. Since it was my mistake I always take my proper place at the END of the correct line. You screwed up and you cut in line. How is being called on that rude?

dragon813gt
05-24-2014, 02:37 PM
In the past I have waited in long lines only to find I am in the wrong line. Since it was my mistake I always take my proper place at the END of the correct line. You screwed up and you cut in line. How is being called on that rude?

It sounds like he merged unknowingly and before he figured it out people started yelling at him. The correct thing to do would have been to politely let him know what he did.

roadie
05-24-2014, 03:28 PM
It sounds like he merged unknowingly and before he figured it out people started yelling at him. The correct thing to do would have been to politely let him know what he did.

Considering that most of the lineup was probably scalpers and hoarders, I wouldn't think politeness and good manners would be in abundance.

starmac
05-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Considering that most of the lineup was probably scalpers and hoarders, I wouldn't think politeness and good manners would be in abundance.

It wouldn't make any difference if the line was made up of resale buyers, or dads desperate enough to stand in line to get their kids some ammo, cutting in line is cutting in line, and most folks will not go for it. The only time I have to stand in line is at the post office or the dmv, if someone is elderly or holding a big package or a lady with some small kids, I will usually tell them to go ahead of me, but nobody is just going to go ahead just because they want to.

roadie
05-24-2014, 03:59 PM
It wouldn't make any difference if the line was made up of resale buyers, or dads desperate enough to stand in line to get their kids some ammo, cutting in line is cutting in line, and most folks will not go for it. The only time I have to stand in line is at the post office or the dmv, if someone is elderly or holding a big package or a lady with some small kids, I will usually tell them to go ahead of me, but nobody is just going to go ahead just because they want to.

Completely agree, I'm not big on standing in lines either. I'm not about to blow up on someone cutting in, they get politely told. If they don't get it, then they get unpolitely told. Old people or someone with a lil purchase get a break.....it's the polite thing to do.

In the OP's case, you'd have to expect someone to get ornery.....seems .22 ammo and getting it brings out the worst in people.

starmac
05-24-2014, 04:53 PM
LOL I just came back from sportsmans, and they have the pits going on the sidewalk today with free burgers and all the trimmings.
We do not generally have what you would call lines most of the time here (even when they do get 2 ammo) but there was probably 10 people in line to get a free meal when I went in, and about the same when I came out, sooo no free meal for me. lol

smokeywolf
05-24-2014, 05:55 PM
I would like to think that the rude and discourteous are not fellow sportsmen, but people who see themselves as "businessmen" and as such have a right to do whatever it takes to source and acquire product and as the "free market" system espouses, charge "whatever the traffic will bear".
Although I loathe these jerks who behave in this way, I hold the same disdain for all "businesses", regardless of size, that set their prices just as unjustifiably high for products that are far more needful and essential to the American family than that of 22 ammo.

I haven't bought 22s since 2012. I think the next time (if there is a next time) 22s are readily available, I'll buy 3 or more cases and maintain a greater "emergency" supply.

smokeywolf

dtknowles
05-24-2014, 11:21 PM
I would like to think that the rude and discourteous are not fellow sportsmen, but people who see themselves as "businessmen" and as such have a right to do whatever it takes to source and acquire product and as the "free market" system espouses, charge "whatever the traffic will bear".
Although I loathe these jerks who behave in this way, I hold the same disdain for all "businesses", regardless of size, that set their prices just as unjustifiably high for products that are far more needful and essential to the American family than that of 22 ammo.
smokeywolf

What products are you talking about? Are you in favor of price controls. In a competitive world what is a unjustifiably high price?

I was in line to check out at Walmart today and a cashier came and said she could take me down at register 11 so I moved down to #11 and the lady who was in front of me in the previous line followed me. Thinking that it was only right that she go ahead of me I offered her the opportunity to go first, she declined twice, so I went ahead.

About .22's I shot 200 bulk Winchester stuff today in my 10/22 and Anschutz. I don't what got over me, that stuff won't hardly shoot under 2 MOA at 100 yards. Alright for off hand practice but shooting groups just is a disappointment. No point in spending 10 cents a round for **** need to spend more for better stuff.

Tim

jcameron996
05-24-2014, 11:44 PM
Two places I went in yesterday had .22 on the shelf. Academy had CCI for $7.00/50rd box. Don't really need any and really didn't need any at that price. My local store had a good amount of Remington target on the shelf, but I didn't even ask the price. I have enough to keep my family and I shooting for a good long time. Its nice to see some start showing up but I sure ain't ready to pay through the nose for it.

smokeywolf
05-25-2014, 05:09 AM
What products are you talking about? Are you in favor of price controls. In a competitive world what is a unjustifiably high price?

I was in line to check out at Walmart today and a cashier came and said she could take me down at register 11 so I moved down to #11 and the lady who was in front of me in the previous line followed me. Thinking that it was only right that she go ahead of me I offered her the opportunity to go first, she declined twice, so I went ahead.

About .22's I shot 200 bulk Winchester stuff today in my 10/22 and Anschutz. I don't what got over me, that stuff won't hardly shoot under 2 MOA at 100 yards. Alright for off hand practice but shooting groups just is a disappointment. No point in spending 10 cents a round for **** need to spend more for better stuff.

Tim

I think it is beyond dangerous for an industry that produces a commodity that withheld or restricted can cause not just the failure of our economy, but the collapse of society, to have near unfettered control over the price of that commodity.

I am also not in favor of a comparatively few groups of people laying in wait to ambush each shipment of 22s the second they hit the shelf, so as to exacerbate the shortage, then turn around and try to resell those 22s at 3 times the retail price?

smokeywolf

dragon813gt
05-25-2014, 07:58 AM
I think it is beyond dangerous for an industry that produces a commodity that withheld or restricted can cause not just the failure of our economy, but the collapse of society, to have near unfettered control over the price of that commodity.

So after reading this I can only assume you're talking about oil. Because the lack of 22s is not going to cause the end of the economy or society. Now oil on the other hand will easily do both. I don't think I want our government involved w/ price fixing of oil.

montana_charlie
05-25-2014, 12:12 PM
Midsouth has .22 rimfire

MtGun44
05-25-2014, 01:31 PM
I have seen credible reports that .22 rimfire is difficult to make, and the market resists price
increases, so the makers barely break even to a small profit. They would rather put their
investment into more centerfire ammo production capacity which is far more profitable.

Apparently, unless we are prepared for substantially higher prices, rimfire ammo will
remain in short supply. Huge numbers of folks have purchased new .22s in the last
5-10 years and little or no added production has been built, and apparently the makers
are not likely to build big new plants that will take a lot of investment and make very
small or no profit.

Bill

dtknowles
05-25-2014, 01:54 PM

I am also not in favor of a comparatively few groups of people laying in wait to ambush each shipment of 22s the second they hit the shelf, so as to exacerbate the shortage, then turn around and try to resell those 22s at 3 times the retail price?

smokeywolf

I agree. Both about critical commodities and .22 LR. I don't think I want the government to increase their involvement in either. Monopolies are already regulated, where there is competition producers and sellers are not allow to work together to fix prices or restrict supply. Those government controls are not fool proof but more laws will not make things better. Some of the people dealing in .22 LR are breaking the law but are too small of potatoes to attract enforcement.

I am surprised that nobody has started a new company to make .22 LR. Unlike one of the existing producers expanding production and then when the boom busts having over capacity, the new producer would probably have an established market share and when the boom busts would still have a share. Maybe the new producer could work a deal with someone like Berger or Starline to draw the cases and the new producer could do the bullets, priming and charging. Marketing or retail could be any of the parties involved.

I don't know of any product of importance that does not have competition that is not heavily regulated.

Drugs, GM seeds, energy, or Telecom all regulated but because of Patent laws the Drugs and GM seeds do have powerful pricing power.

Tim

dtknowles
05-25-2014, 02:02 PM
So after reading this I can only assume you're talking about oil. Because the lack of 22s is not going to cause the end of the economy or society. Now oil on the other hand will easily do both. I don't think I want our government involved w/ price fixing of oil.

We may not want it but the government while it does not fix the price of oil does use its power to effect the price of oil. U.S. government controls drilling leases, restricts exports of oil, regulates gas mileage, buys and sells oil for and from the Strategic oil reserve, is a large customer of petro products, mandates ethanol. All that said, if the government tried to fix the price of oil it would be a disaster.

Tim

starmac
05-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Don't forget taxes the oil, at various stages before we get it, and after. lol

dragon813gt
05-25-2014, 04:36 PM
I am aware of all the things they do that surround oil. But I don't want them to fix the price because they say so. I'm having a hard time understanding while oil is still so high. We are at zero imports at this point. I'm tired of hearing the worldwide factors BS. If the government did care about its citizens it would earmark all that oil for domestic consumption. I know it's a slippery slope. But the price should be based off of this country only. Not what's happening in the middle east. I guess that's to simple of a thought.

badbob454
05-25-2014, 04:42 PM
In the past I have waited in long lines only to find I am in the wrong line. Since it was my mistake I always take my proper place at the END of the correct line. You screwed up and you cut in line. How is being called on that rude?ony rude that they did not talk to me , instead they swore at me ...

starmac
05-25-2014, 04:42 PM
Oil is sold and priced according to the world market, it doesn't matter where it comes from or goes to, any changes to that would be the same as price fixing.

smokeywolf
05-25-2014, 06:10 PM
Actually, oil prices in the U.S. are based on how high the oil industry's shills in the Commodities Exchange bid up the price of standard crude, light sweet crude and Brent crude.

As far as the Gov't setting prices of petroleum products, since the oil industry owns more of the U.S. Gov't than does John & Jane Q. Citizen, there would be little difference in Oil Industry price fixing and Gov't price fixing.

With regard to Oil Industry price fixing, they found a way around the price fixing laws 20 to 30 years ago. The oil companies (and many other industries) fund a separate company that functions as a "marketing partnership". The "marketing partnership's job is to form marketing strategies. These strategies include structuring market pricing.

smokeywolf

Iowa Fox
05-25-2014, 06:45 PM
Imports!!

Its the only way to take the edge off this thing and down the road. In the 90s there was lots of it to be had cheap. PMC from S. Korea shot very well for a cheap price. The shelves around here were bare a year before Sandy Hook telling me the demand was outpacing production at that time. I'm done with the stuff except for single shot close range pest control.

M-Tecs
05-25-2014, 06:55 PM
ony rude that they did not talk to me , instead they swore at me ...

That happens when you screw up. Last summer after a very long day shooting prairie dogs (started at 3 am to be on site by 8 am) I pulled out in front of a truck. I looked both ways but I didn't see it. The truck driver got it stopped about 6 inches from impact. He swore at me a bunch. I didn't really care for it but I was the one that screwed up. The way I look at it is if I didn't want to be treated rudely than I should not have screwed up.

Part of what he said was “You dumb FM’er get you head out of your arse”. Rude maybe – but it was an accurate assessment of MY actions so the only thing I could say was “sorry”.

I didn’t lose any sleep over how he acted but I did lose sleep of the fact that I screwed up and I could have seriously hurt several people.

Bullshop Junior
05-25-2014, 07:07 PM
I have a guy I know back home who called me to tell me he finally found 22 ammo. He bought 9 boxes (50round) at $21.50 a box.

ghh3rd
05-25-2014, 07:54 PM
I just got done casting up about 500 148gr .38 wadcutters... 47 per lb of lead. 3 cents per primer... 1 cents each for 2.7 gr of Bullseye ... 6 or 7 cents each total. My workaround while .22's are scarce and being scalped. I get to shoot the .22's less than before, but have been sending lots and lots of .38's down range.

starmac
05-25-2014, 08:39 PM
I have a guy I know back home who called me to tell me he finally found 22 ammo. He bought 9 boxes (50round) at $21.50 a box.

I don't know what your buddy is thinking, hell the scalpers or what ever you want to call them have it listed nearly any day for 40 to 60 bucks a brick. Hell if he paid that they should have thrown in something to use it in.

Bullshop Junior
05-25-2014, 08:42 PM
I said guy I know. Not buddy lol

dtknowles
05-25-2014, 10:03 PM
I was at Walmart today and they had quite a few boxes of CCI CB shorts in the case. $8.47 per 100 rounds. I wan't interested but just saying.

Tim

starmac
05-25-2014, 10:35 PM
Shorts always cost more, seems backwards. lol

M-Tecs
05-25-2014, 10:40 PM
Mass production at its finest. The more you produce the cheaper the cost per unit.

starmac
05-25-2014, 10:50 PM
If that's the case they should be FREE by now. lol