PDA

View Full Version : Any way to up temp from a toaster oven?

Patrick L
09-10-2005, 06:12 PM
For various reasons that WILL NOT CHANGE (ie don't tell me to just try the kitchen oven, it ain't gonna happen) I use an old toaster oven to heat and quench my bullets. The max temp I can get is 425, verified by an oven thermometer.

Is there a way to better insulate things to get just a bit hotter ? I was thinking maybe packing rolled aluminum foil around the door crack. Is there some flame resistant blanket material I could wrap over the whole thing ?

Any thoughts ?

PS Dropping the bullets into water as I cast is not an option either

Bass Ackward
09-10-2005, 06:49 PM
For various reasons that WILL NOT CHANGE (ie don't tell me to just try the kitchen oven, it ain't gonna happen) I use an old toaster oven to heat and quench my bullets. The max temp I can get is 425, verified by an oven thermometer.

Is there a way to better insulate things to get just a bit hotter ? I was thinking maybe packing rolled aluminum foil around the door crack. Is there some flame resistant blanket material I could wrap over the whole thing ?

Any thoughts ?

PS Dropping the bullets into water as I cast is not an option either

Pat,

Most likely, the thermostat will still kick off around 425 no mater how well you insulate it. What has me wondering, why isn't that hot enough? If you are quick, you still can get really hard. If you are slow, 20 degrees more ain't goin to help much. And if you are a little rough with the quench, you won't dent your bullets so bad at that temp.

Sounds like you have the best of all worlds to me. If you need harder bullets, try adding a spray can lid of a fine magnum grade shot to your mix to give it a little more antimony and arsnic. For small calibers, you should be able to get at least 30 BHN at that temp. I figure about 22 BHN for 45s.

Patrick L
09-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Bass Ackward,

If you think 425 is hot enough I'd be happy to let it go at that. Some people from other conversations I've had tell me that there is a big difference between 425 and 450.

I am pretty quick with the quench. I leave them in the oven for two hours at 425. My bullets are all in a wire basket with a handle, so I open the door, grab and drop the whole thing into a bucket. Four to five seconds tops from opening the door to sizzle.

Oh BTW, I am doing this with 196 grain .30 cal rifle bullets exclusively.

felix
09-10-2005, 08:03 PM
425 for a full hour should be hot enough. It takes a lot of "oven" heat to warm up those heavy boolits all the way to the center line of each. Occassionaly stir the boolits within the cold water. Leave them in for 15 minutes or more, to make triple sure their centers see cold... felix

Bass Ackward
09-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Bass Ackward,

If you think 425 is hot enough I'd be happy to let it go at that. Some people from other conversations I've had tell me that there is a big difference between 425 and 450.

I am pretty quick with the quench. I leave them in the oven for two hours at 425. My bullets are all in a wire basket with a handle, so I open the door, grab and drop the whole thing into a bucket. Four to five seconds tops from opening the door to sizzle.

Oh BTW, I am doing this with 196 grain .30 cal rifle bullets exclusively.

Pat,

I always heat treat at 425 when I think I have to. But the difference between 3 seconds and 6 is 35 BHN to say 25-28 for 30 caliber. And that is with tap water. Some of my friends say that colder water temp can actually do better. Can't tell ya. I am not big on hard bullets because I don't have to be to get the high velocity I want.

So much of what you hear guys say they need depends on them along with all the other variables. And they are not wrong. That's probably what they need. That is why you hear so much of this and that. You just have to try it and measure. What hardness do you get now the way you are doing it? And what hardness do you think you need to shoot?

JCherry
09-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Patrick L,

I had a toaster that seemed to perform about the same as what you describe. That toaster did not have a "Broil" setting. I suggest you get another toaster from a thrift store, yard sell etc. but be sure to get one with a "Broil" setting. The one I have will get hot enough to slump 220 grain 30 cal bullets out of straight wheel weight. Using my lead pot thermometer it appears my toaster is actually capable of well over 470 degrees. I have set my toaster to just under the slump temperature and it works great.

Have fun,

JCherry

felix
09-10-2005, 10:01 PM
BA, cold water as opposed to hot water only. Because the difference in temps is the criteria, the percentage of which is what counts. A few degrees difference between 65 and 35 degrees is nil for a terminating water temperature, and this mainly because of the rapid cooling of the boolits from the stove to the tub, even if it is just 3 seconds. ... felix

Bass Ackward
09-11-2005, 07:51 AM
BA, cold water as opposed to hot water only. Because the difference in temps is the criteria, the percentage of which is what counts. A few degrees difference between 65 and 35 degrees is nil for a terminating water temperature, and this mainly because of the rapid cooling of the boolits from the stove to the tub, even if it is just 3 seconds. ... felix

Felix,

I understand. And I have done enough batches of 30s to see little to no difference. But they claimed that for larger diameter bullets, cooler water helped. Now? I just use tap water. And .... I can't get 45s close to 3000 so that I need a hard bullet. Yet! It will be something new to learn if or when the time comes. :grin:

rhead
09-11-2005, 03:43 PM
You should be able to insulate it with "brick" flagstones from the lawn and garden department at Wal Mart. Fire brick from Home Depot is more expensive but more certain.

drinks
09-11-2005, 08:23 PM
The thermostat is controlling the heat by turning on and off the electricity to the heating element.
Locate the sensor bulb, the thing on the end of the fine tubeing coming from the thermostat, partially shield it from the oven interior and provide some air circulation to it.
Try this out only with the oven thermometer in the oven so you can observe the effect.
The calibration will no longer be accurate.
On some more expensive models , the thermostat is adjustable for calibration with a small screw concealed in the stem, visible after the knob is removed.
The thermostat acts on the heat it senses, change the amount of heat and the temperature will change.