PDA

View Full Version : Glock 29 Barrel Selection & Questions

brasshog
05-23-2014, 10:27 AM
I recently purchased a Glock29 10mm for ccw carry at work and would like to practice a lot with it. The ammo is a little tough to come buy and I reload/cast so I would like to know which barrel manufactures are better for cast bullets and any recommendations as to which boolit to use for full powerhouse loads for hunting applications/range use. I assume that the standard poly rifling that is in my stock barrel is a no go and am currently looking at picking up a new 10mm, 40 S&W, 9x25, and 357 sig set of barrels from perhaps Lone Wolf. I also assume that I'll need a check for said boolit due to the velocity. Since the original 10mm was a 200gr bullet should I be looking for a 200gr SWC-HP-GC ?

Disclaimer: I do not endorse the use of any poly framed gun for self-defense nor advocate the use of any non John Browning/Samuel Colt design (1911) or any cartridge other than the holy grail of bullets (45ACP) lol. I have a reputation to protect you know and yes I deny that it is actually my Glock around my buddies lmao.

Love Life
05-23-2014, 10:51 AM
Depending on the throat I would choose the RCBS 10mm-200 RCBS SWC or the NOE .402-200-WFN. In my gun, the RCBS is more accurate (splitting hairs really), but the rather sharp and pronounce shoulder of the drive band leaves a slight ring of lead in the chamber due to being shaved (throat). The NOE does not leave the ring and punches much nicer holes in the paper. Both are good boolits. I hod rot them with AA#9 and a rather spooky amount of 800X.

I am shooting these out of a S&W 1026 though and I usually scrap the brass after the 1st firing when using my nuclear loads. For everyday blasting I hang out just below the book max for AA#9 and it really needs to be at that level to shoot clean-ish.

AA#7 is also a good powder.

Starline brass is the way to go and I scrap it after 5 firings depending on the load levels I used.

As for barrels...KKM seems to get the nod for having the least amount of issues. I prefer the factory barrels, but you really have to be careful when doing load develoment and check for leading.

If I can provide any more info please let me know.

lefty o
05-23-2014, 11:09 AM
id agree with KKM, or if you want to spend money, jarvis. wolf doesnt have the greatest reputation for barrels, and my own storm lake is less than stellar.

Tom W.
05-23-2014, 04:56 PM
And another question, if I may...

The dealer said that I could replace the barrel of a full sized .45 with a 10mm barrel and with the proper mags shoot the thing. I looked a bit askance, as I know the head size isn't the same. However, if it is true, could I then change my barrel on my Mod.30 Gen 4 to a .40 cal and effectively change it to a model 27? Not that I would, but is it possible?

brasshog
05-23-2014, 05:31 PM
I have only recently heard of KKM barrels. Guess I need to give them a look. Also, which barrel manufactuter would help in the "glock smile" area the most ? Thanks.

Love Life
05-23-2014, 06:13 PM
I have only recently heard of KKM barrels. Guess I need to give them a look. Also, which barrel manufactuter would help in the "glock smile" area the most ? Thanks.

Kind of a toss up. A new Glock should have the correct barrel support. Are you niticing bulges on your fired brass? IME, I don't start seeing bulges until I start creeping over the max listed loads.

brasshog
05-23-2014, 11:54 PM
It's still unfired as of yet but I'll let you know when I get to fire it if it has the smile..

Any Cal.
05-24-2014, 12:13 AM
I recently purchased a Glock29 10mm for ccw carry at work and would like to practice a lot with it. The ammo is a little tough to come buy and I reload/cast so I would like to know which barrel manufactures are better for cast bullets and any recommendations as to which boolit to use for full powerhouse loads for hunting applications/range use. I assume that the standard poly rifling that is in my stock barrel is a no go and am currently looking at picking up a new 10mm, 40 S&W, 9x25, and 357 sig set of barrels from perhaps Lone Wolf. I also assume that I'll need a check for said boolit due to the velocity. Since the original 10mm was a 200gr bullet should I be looking for a 200gr SWC-HP-GC ?

Disclaimer: I do not endorse the use of any poly framed gun for self-defense nor advocate the use of any non John Browning/Samuel Colt design (1911) or any cartridge other than the holy grail of bullets (45ACP) lol. I have a reputation to protect you know and yes I deny that it is actually my Glock around my buddies lmao.

Give the factory barrel a shot, it is most likely fine. Some will give the brass a bit of a belly, but as long as there is not a distinct line it is fine to keep using. If there is a distinct line, it is because your loads were too hot. Longshot is your friend for 10mm powder.

You can put a barrel in .45 models, but it will leave two tiny gaps in the hood, as the slide is shaped slightly different. Functionally fine I am told, but no personal experience. The breech face is just flat in both cases anyway.

You can get away with running .40 in the 10mm Glocks, give it a shot (he he...) before you buy a special barrel.

The case support doesn't matter much until you start running nuclear loads, and many aftermarket barrels are no better than the factory ones. Try it stock for a while first. It is nice and smooth internally, if the boolits are big enough there shouldn't be much difference between stock and aftermarket as far as leading OR accuracy.

The aftermarket barrels do often offer a tighter chamber, which can save your brass a bit, as it doesn't expand so much, so doesn't get worked as hard from being sized back down. You can just use .40 brass for everything, then brass cost or life doesn't really matter...

Mallard57
05-24-2014, 08:41 AM
The factory barrel shot pretty well in my Glock 20 but I did go ahead and get a KKM barrel, its a little tighter than the factory barrel. If you have the extra cash for an aftermarket barrel I'd say go for it but you aren't that bad off with the factory tube. My 20 is a gen 3. My buddy just picked up a Lone Wolf barrel for his 20 and is happy as a clam. I' m really enjoying the 10mm.
I believe there is a particular conversion barrel to fit the barrel hood when converting a
Glock 21 to 10mm.
Jeff

brasshog
05-24-2014, 11:25 AM
Perhaps I should have stated why I need a barrel(s) in order to give you guys some more info. I will be keeping the stock barrel in the G29 for self defense and liability purposes for the moment until I can make further decisions based upon my needs. I bought this caliber of gun because I didn't want another 45acp so that I couldn't dip into my "extras" and because I must go to a lighter gun due to health reasons. This move has saved me 26oz's in weight. The glock is not used for home defense but rather for work and general carry. The area of home defense is already covered. I reload/cast so I will be performing lots of range shooting and performing drills so I need a lot of ammo. I have never fired a glock before and it is foreign to me since I've carried a 1911 for over 25 years. The extra barrel will be used at the range in order to be more gentle on the brass in "nuclear loads". I am not concerned atm with 40 S&W +P style 10mm ammo (easy to buy here) simply because I would have bought a smaller G27 if that was my purpose and the G36 45acp simply had too little magazine capacity to be considered. The 10mm offers me the nuclear loads for work (needed) and 10mm lite's for regular self-defense situations with a simply mag change. In essence I need a jam up barrel for the range. Thanks

Love Life
05-24-2014, 12:17 PM
You do not need to justify your purchase to us. The Glock is a no non-sense firearm that does what it was designed to do all day long. It is high capacity and light-ish weight as well. The Glock will go down in history as one of the great firearms designs and will probably hang around as long as the 1911.

All them other wannabe Glocks are still trying to get it right...

The trigger is consistent and will get better in time. Oh, and the Glock 36 is fun!

brasshog
05-24-2014, 02:08 PM
Thanks LL. I just figured that in order to get the best advise I should give accurate information that pertains to the questions above. Also, my work involves some very special self defense situations. I guess that I need to open another post for questions involving boolits (factory nuclear type) and self defense.

garym1a2
05-25-2014, 03:58 PM
I have one KKM G35 in 40, one storm lake G22 in 40, one G22 conversion in 9mm and one G35 9mm conversion lone wolf.
All four of them shoot well for me. The two Glock 40 barrels the guns came with will lead up on me if I even consider shooting cast boolits out of them. The two aftermarket 40 barrels are great on lead and much better on brass life.

My after market 9mm conversion barrels are OK on lead but do leave traces of lead till I started powder coating.

My Gen3 G21SF factory barrel is a lead shooting machine on cast lead boolits. I have never had a issue with it, including one day shooting over 70 rounds of 200gr swc.

Given a choice I pick KKM as the best of the bunch I have.