PDA

View Full Version : Sentinal Mark IV in 22 mag help

AlaskanGuy
05-22-2014, 04:56 PM
A buddy of mine got a new to him old boat, and behind the seat, in a pile of lead weights and old fishing gear, was a totally rusted shut Sentinal Mark IV in 22 mag... He gave me the gun, and well, you know me, I worked at it and got he thing working again, but it sure aint purty.... It shoots ok, and being a 9 shot, leads me to the problem... One cylinder is noticeably smaller... Wont take a 22 mag, or even a 22 lr... I checked very carefully, and can see that it was machined this way I think from the factory??? I will try to take a pic...

I examined the gun very closely for any sort of impact, but there is no sign... And the whole is perfectly round... Its only gunna be used to dispatch big halibut, and the price was right, but just curious on why or how this could be... The gun is no beauty in any way, but perfect for halibut...

Any clues??????

AG

docone31
05-22-2014, 05:03 PM
Might that be a safety for the cylinder?
Good find though.

starmac
05-22-2014, 07:48 PM
Strange, is there any markings on the outside of the cylinder, so that the empty hole could be easily identified while it is resting under the hammer??

AlaskanGuy
05-22-2014, 10:38 PM
I will check that out Milty..... I looked before, but I diddnt have my good glasses on.. :D

rintinglen
05-24-2014, 03:41 PM
Can't tell from the pics but is there any chance a headless-case is in that chamber? I came across a similar event some years ago when a customer brought in a an old S&W M&P 38. a corroded case had stuck to the chamber walls, the case head had torn off, and only the body remained, verdigris and rust sealing it in place. Until I gave it a thorough cleaning, I couldn't see it.

44man
05-25-2014, 11:57 AM
Something is wrong in that chamber. They were made to load all nine chambers, the gun has a hammer safety stop.

AlaskanGuy
05-25-2014, 12:08 PM
I agree... There is no stuck case... It is just a factory thing that diddnt get caught I think..... If you click on the pics in the first post, you can clearly see the size difference.....

AG

HeavyMetal
05-25-2014, 12:43 PM
This is a strange one, LOL!

Not having it in hand I can only trust that your correct it has no shell or insert in it.

I'd contact C4HD about renting a 22 mag chamber reamer and fixing this hole. You may find it to "pricey" for the shape of the gun but it won't hurt to call and check it out.

I'm thinking someone modified this chamber for some wierd reason and it has an insert in it, maybe soldered in?

If it were mine I might be tempted to try an easy out in it after soaking it a day or two in Kroil.

These were a way cool design and I think I remember seeing one with a 6 inch barrel and the two I saw had adjustable sights on them as well.

Nice find even if you use that bad chamber to rest the hammer on, just never catch more than 8 Halibut at a time, LOL!

AlaskanGuy
05-25-2014, 01:04 PM
Lol... You are right there.... I am not very inclined to spend a lot of effort on it.... It shoots... And 8 shots, well, you said it right... Never caught more then 8 shots at a time...lol

AG

44man
05-26-2014, 10:27 AM
Lol... You are right there.... I am not very inclined to spend a lot of effort on it.... It shoots... And 8 shots, well, you said it right... Never caught more then 8 shots at a time...lol

AG
Agree, it was a decent gun and 8 shots is still a good thing. They have a strange way to swing out the cylinder but it works.
Just enjoy what you have. A good find.

Tristan
05-26-2014, 08:57 PM
Might the exterior be improved with a coat of cerrakote or even Krylon hi-temp BBQ paint?

Like you said, the price was right! Maybe someone has a 22mag reamer you can borrow.

AlaskanGuy
05-26-2014, 09:41 PM
I think I will stick to vht, and electrical tape... And be darn happy I found a free 8 shot gun....

:-)