PDA

View Full Version : Collar buttons in lever guns

Tinglebeezy
05-22-2014, 04:09 PM
Are the lyman collar buttons safe to shot in my 1895 since they appear to have a pointed tip? Im worried about the the primers going off.

woody1
05-23-2014, 02:52 PM
Somebody else must have a thought on this. FWIW I don't have either one ('95 or collar button) but I'd think there's not be enough recoil in the load to set off the primer. There, that'll bring it to the top and mebe someone will correct me. Regards, Woody

jrmartin1964
05-23-2014, 03:30 PM
Collar buttons are not likely to feed successfully from the 1895's magazine - cartridge O.A.L. will be w-a-y too short. On the odd chance that they will, I'd still not feel entirely comfy with anything pointed resting against a primer.

Jim

missionary5155
05-23-2014, 06:20 PM
Greetings
My solution is going to be load two in the magazine. Cycle the first into the chamber. I cannot imagine any bunny needing more than two. Or groundhog or coyotee .....
On the other end... I agree that light of a boolit would be hard pressed to generate enough momemtum to pop even a soft primer. Solution #2 would be to flat point loaded rounds. One pass of a good file should do it.
Mike in Peru

longbow
05-23-2014, 07:55 PM
I am going to go with "I wouldn't worry about it". Personally I think that the point is rounded enough and that the rounds will tend to sit at an angle in the mag tube because of the rim so the point will not likely line up with a primer anyway. That coupled with light recoil, soft lead, etc.

Having said that it is ultimately up to you. What Mike says is good advice if you are worried about it though.

I chose an Accurate #43-165B for my light plinker in my .44 Marlin but more because I didn't like the design of the latest collar button clone as much as the original Lyman design.

Had the group buy been for an original Lyman design I would have gotten one and shot it without hesitation in my Marlin.

I bought a box of collar button boolits about 40 years ago and shot them from my Siamese Mauser converted to .45-70. They shot pretty well over a moderate charge of Unique (IIRC). Never tried them in my 1895 and sadly I do not have either .45-70 anymore.

FWIW

Del-Ray
05-23-2014, 08:02 PM
Well.... I just cast up some collar buttons a week or so ago, and I 'appen to have an 1895 floating about as well.

Instead of filing the points though, I would recommend using your lubrisizer, and a flat top punch to squish em flat. No weird angles filed on, no lose of weight either.

I'm still wondering if its worth it to push em down to .455 for my colt...

yeahbub
05-24-2014, 04:03 PM
I get the impression they'd make a fine cheap plinker out of a SA. It wouldn't take more than a pinch of red dot, PB or Trail Boss to be set up for a non-intimidating practice/familiarization session.

Out of a .357 Rossi '92, 5gr of Universal, a card wad and lube cookie under a WW .375 round ball seated just deep enough to stick in the case makes for great entertainment for the young ones being introduced to the discipline. That's probably the sole advantage of that silly "funnel-throat" no-lead chamber style.