PDA

View Full Version : Franks RedHot ...but thicker ?

Johnch
05-22-2014, 02:01 PM
OK I realy like Franks RedHot sauce

I even have made my own , but I use 50% jalapeno peppers

But this year when I make it
I would like to make a thick sauce , not the watery sauce like the original and my home made

I would love to make a sauce as thick as mustard or store bought BBQ sauce

Any ideas ?

John

woodsxdragon
05-22-2014, 03:17 PM
Maybe some pectin or corn starch to thicken it? I made some sauce a long time ago and I just used less vinegar/water. It was more of a paste.

MaryB
05-22-2014, 10:28 PM
Use less water in the vinegar/water mix to make homemade, will give it more of a vinegar bite tho. Are you canning this or making and using it? For make and just store in the fridge partially dry your peppers to remove some of the water then make your sauce. As mentioned you could use a thickener like arrow root or corn starch but it may break and separate in the fridge

Johnch
05-23-2014, 07:44 AM
So far I just make it as needed , so it's make and use

I will try corn starch

Thanks
John

MaryB
05-23-2014, 10:45 PM
I would start with dried peppers then, crush/grind to the consistency needed then rehydrate in the added liquids

Col4570
05-24-2014, 04:54 PM
Stir in some Soft Brown Sugar,Then simmer until reduced it will have the consistency of Mustard and taste good on your Burgers or Ribs or Venison.
Chopped Jalapenos,Soft Brown Sugar,Vinegar,choped Zuchinis,Salt,Smoked Paprika.Stir until thick,Place in sterilised Jars.It is a form of Chutney and will keep for a year.After opening the Jar keep in the Fridge.

Shiloh
05-25-2014, 08:32 AM
Cornstarch would be my go to, and easiest to find product. There is gaur gum, xanthan gum, flour, and tapioca as alternatives.
There is a food coop near by. a bit touchy feeley for me, but they have bulk spices and said items.

I buy the bulk spices I need for my meat rubs there. They turn over inventory so it is fresh.
I also often have a gun related tee shirt to tweak the tree-hugger types.

Shiloh

Uncle Jimbo
05-25-2014, 11:48 AM
Use butter. Put it in after you are done cooking it and it is still hot. Stir it in completely. It will thicken as it chills. I use 1 and a half cubes per gallon. And butter makes everything better. :-P

sierra1911
06-04-2014, 07:41 AM
I thicken mine with ground cayenne pepper.

Hardcast416taylor
06-04-2014, 09:57 AM
Franks already makes the Red Hot sauce in a thick as ketchup version, I use it on about anything I grill and alot of food I don`t grill.Robert

GLL
06-04-2014, 06:08 PM
The thicker stuff is at your nearest market ! :)

https://www.franksredhot.com/products/ketchup-style-hot-sauce

Jerry

GrantA
07-16-2014, 12:15 PM
I love Frank's, how did I miss the thick as ketchup bottle?!? I'll grab some next time at the store, thanks guys!

attrapereves
07-16-2014, 06:19 PM
Franks makes a thicker sauce that is great on fries. It's basically a spicy ketchup. I just wish it were spicier.