PDA

View Full Version : calling Swede cast shooters for opinion

JBMauser
01-11-2008, 11:26 PM
I am looking at a 170 gr. mould for 6.5. I have never seen one this heavy and I know because I have read laments for years on how the toughest cast bullet to perform is the 6.5. I have a M96 and a 94 carbine. should I try this mould and buy it or pass for one that will not change my hair color. Ha... to pure white.. Thanks for any info. JB

Razor
01-11-2008, 11:51 PM
I have one of those and only get about 20 - 25% keepers....
My hair is already pure white anyway...

Razor

Buckshot
01-12-2008, 06:28 AM
...............You must be talking about #4 below:

http://www.fototime.com/8B8B8013CDC151A/standard.jpg

This is the Oldfeller/45 2.1 Cruise Missle. It was originally done as a group buy here, and is still available through Mid-South, which is where I assume you saw it?

http://www.fototime.com/B55472729A707A9/standard.jpg

Here it is next to the 6.5mm Kurtz. This is another group buy done here, to try and closely mimic the old Lyman 266445 RN that was 122 grs in it's HP version. Both cartridges in the photo have their respective slugs seated to engrave.

"I am looking at a 170 gr. mould for 6.5. I have never seen one this heavy and I know because I have read laments for years on how the toughest cast bullet to perform is the 6.5. "

Not true. The 6.5 Swede is no more difficult to get shooting cast then any other centerfire rifle. The difficulty is velocity. Or rather high velocity. Especilly difficult in the military rifles due to their rather more generous chamber specs and faster 7.8" twist. If you will be satisfied with velocities possibly in the 1600's to lower 1700's, that's easy and they're exceedingly accurate.

That long heavy slug was an attempt at getting higher velocities out of the miliatry Swedes. While it didn't really do that, due to it's physical weight and penetrating ability it made a great hunting design. The smaller Kurtz, at 130grs I have personally shot to 1830 fps from a M96 and it still retained good useable accuracy.

................Buckshot