PDA

View Full Version : Super reduced load

petroid
05-22-2014, 09:00 AM
Ok so I was bored and wondered what I could do to knock down a few cans in the back yard without bothering the neighbors. For a baseline I fired a primer only in my 40sw. It was pretty loud! Then I loaded a 180gr cast boolit over 1gr power pistol and fired at a chunk of treated decking from about 3feet. Boolit just slightly dented the board. Not as loud as the primer alone. Then I loaded another at 1.5 gr power pistol. Too loud for the backyard. The boolit sunk up to the base in the board. Kind of a neat test. I'm thinking about making some hot glue boolits next.

osteodoc08
05-22-2014, 09:19 AM
Glue boolits. Lots of fun. Revolvers are my platform of choice for such work. Make sure you drill out the primer flash hole and mark cases appropriately to prevent the primer from backing out and keeping the brass away from the usual stock. Lots of info here, just do a quick search.

bobthenailer
05-22-2014, 12:28 PM
Use a bullet seated nose down almost flush with case mouth for revolvers or for either usually the heavy boolet for your caliber.

petroid
05-23-2014, 10:20 PM
Bob, I think 180 is fairly heavy for 40sw. I think the excessive noise is due to the 3" barrel. Maybe this weekend I'll try and cast some Glooboolits.

Yodogsandman
05-23-2014, 11:24 PM
I read a story quite awhile back about a quick draw shooter/entertainer named Ed Macgivern. He held the world quick draw record or something. He started out shooting wax slugs powered by just a primer in a 38 special revolver. He would prime the case and then push the casing into a 1/2" thick sheet of wax on a cookie tray. He reused the wax slugs after firing by remelting them and pouring back onto a cookie sheet to cool. This enabled him to shoot thousands of rounds in his basement to perfect his skills. I think this was in the 60's.

Jack Stanley
05-24-2014, 08:50 AM
I think that was Bill Jordan shooting wax bullets , Ed McGivern though could empty a revolver in less than a second for ya ...... and plant the slug inside the diameter of an old time silver dollar .

Jack