PDA

View Full Version : Video proof of copper jacket abuse by CCI

aaronraad
05-22-2014, 01:56 AM
If you're easily disturb by the mistreatment of copper cups, just turn away after the 2:25 mark.

http://youtu.be/t5qMsmucXhI

That heading machine is an evil contraption!:evil:

Maybe CCI could let us buy the freedom of a few thousand copper cups?

PbHurler
05-22-2014, 06:58 AM
Very neat video, thanks for posting.

I'd love to have a spool of lead wire & brass strip like was shown. (ok maybe several):shock:

Prospector Howard
05-22-2014, 08:52 AM
"That heading machine is an evil contraption". I'll say it is! Man, those brass cups looked nice before they ruined them by putting the rim on them. It would sure be nice if they would sell them to us for about a penny a piece when they are just cups. Good video, aaronraad.

HATCH
05-22-2014, 09:12 AM
4 million per day.
Where does it all go?

MUSTANG
05-22-2014, 10:59 AM
1 billion and 40 million per year on a 5 day work week based on their stated production figures. If we assumed the same for major MFG's:

CCI
Remington
Federal
Winchester Super-X
Aguila

That would come out to

5.2 Billion rounds per year. If we assumed 1000 rounds per high volume shooter annually, that level of production would only support 5.2 million "High Volume" Shooters. Still looks to me like plant/Production expansion is the answer/needed.

I find it interesting that in some venues MFG's state they are running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, yet there does not seem to be be 15 to 20 billion 22LR being produced annually. Lot's of information missing concerning plant operations and capacity, but to repeat: Still looks to me like plant/Production expansion is the answer/needed.

Guardian
05-22-2014, 05:38 PM
Read an article in one of the gun rags recently that was saying the MFG's have no interest in boosting production of 22 since the profit margins just aren't there. If they did ramp up production by building new facilities, what happens to them a year after they catch up? Have they turned enough profit to at least pay off the capital expenditure? Whatcha reckon it costs to build a facility like that these days?

I would like to have 22 as much as anyone to support the Project Appleseed events, but I understand the economics have to work too. If they did, we'd be hearing about factories under construction.

aaronraad
05-22-2014, 09:56 PM
I guess the 24/7 production question would be answered by how the original costings were done.

If costings were done on day-shift worker rates then it's unlikely they could afford to go to 24/7 production without increasing the price.

Complete automation of the plant is an expensive upgrade to get it a point of running 24/7 efficiently, and what do you do with your old equipment? From this point of view it would be much more attractive for a new company to start with a greenfield modern automated production set-up. Then the question is will the market sustain your output with an automated plant. Do you risk your costings going out the window if you only need to run 10hrs/day 5 days/wk?

Either way, you need a big pair of b***s.

aaronraad
05-23-2014, 01:21 AM
"That heading machine is an evil contraption". I'll say it is! Man, those brass cups looked nice before they ruined them by putting the rim on them. It would sure be nice if they would sell them to us for about a penny a piece when they are just cups. Good video, aaronraad.

The best thing about the video is that the cups produced on a separate press and manually transferred to the heading press. Most jackets and cases are produced finished in-line as a complete projectile or headed case. Factories (except Berger and Sierra) often use this excuse as a reason they cannot supply deep drawn cups commercially.

The hard thing is convincing the factory that you will accept the current product with all it's inherent tolerances and be able to cover the margin they would have made otherwise had the sold the completed rimfire round. The good thing is that the deep drawn cup might only be worth a fraction of the cost of a completed rimfire round.

Now I just need to find someone on LinkedIn to connect with from CCI/Speer in Marketing or Production...

FLYCUTTER
05-24-2014, 12:23 PM
That would really be cool to get a group buy from cast boolits on their drawn cups. It sure would be a first.

flyingmonkey35
05-24-2014, 12:42 PM
I would love to get my paws on the priming compound they are using.

With that we could put some gigs in place. Get some 22 or molds ore swaging press and reolad 22 till I die.

azrednek
05-24-2014, 01:28 PM
I've always wondered how they installed the priming compound into the rim. My question was finally answered "by spinning it".

MrWolf
05-24-2014, 06:49 PM
Very interesting especially with the priming compound wet vs dry.

SSGOldfart
05-25-2014, 02:44 PM
Hmmm maybe it's getting better BPS I found 22lr by both Winchester and CCI with no limits just$8.00 to $10.00a box of 50 rounds first I've bought in about 10 years or so.

mj2evans
05-25-2014, 02:58 PM
I too finally got to see how the priming compound got in the rim! Thanks for the video.