PDA

View Full Version : Lee 45-70 405 grain hollow base??

Goshawk
05-22-2014, 12:03 AM
Has anyone shot this bullet as cast in a Marlin GBL or similar Guide gun with ballard rifleing? Thanks, Goshawk

Nobade
05-22-2014, 08:02 PM
As it comes out of the mould, it is a bit big for my Marlin 1895CB. Won't enter a fired case. So I size them to .460" and load them over Fg or FFg depending on what I have on hand, and they shoot quite well.

-Nobade

Grapeshot
05-22-2014, 09:31 PM
I have used this boolit in my Marlin sized to .458 and in my .45-60 M1876. Either gun it works very well.

waco
05-22-2014, 09:44 PM
I use it over SR4759 at around 1600fps in my Marlin 1895

MT Chambers
05-23-2014, 11:25 PM
I see no advantage in a modern gun, using hollow base bullets, and smokeless powder, just a pain in the *** to cast.

45coltnut
05-24-2014, 12:23 PM
Yes, Yes, Yes....I love this boolit!

I load this for my dad's new marlin GBL. The gun shoots clover leaf groups at 75 yds. all day long. Using H322 powder too. I didn't size them at all. Just straight from the Lee mold and pan lubed. Some cheaper once fired brass had a slight bulge due to the boolit size. But, good Starline brass had NO bulge at all. All of it feeds great with no issues at all.

I have plans on finding a hi wall single shot. When I do, this will be the first boolit I try. I'm sold on it and from the research prior to buying...others are as well. Buy it, shoot it, you won't regret it.

jh45gun
05-25-2014, 02:58 AM
Fantastic bullet Only one I use in my Guide Gun with Ballard Rifling. As stated above extremely accurate. I bought a sizing die .459 for my lyman Lubrisizer. MT they are no more difficult to cast than any other bullet. Mine fall right out of the mold just tip it upside down.

Goshawk
05-25-2014, 12:39 PM
I see now that it is a round nose. I got the idea from Lee's online catalogue that it was a flatnose. What alloy are you guys using and have you used them on game. I have a pretty good supply of bullets but want to buy one simple to use mold "just in case!!" .I have some pure lead for my muzzleloaders. Thanks, Goshawk

rhead
05-25-2014, 01:31 PM
I see now that it is a round nose. I got the idea from Lee's online catalogue that it was a flatnose. What alloy are you guys using and have you used them on game. I have a pretty good supply of bullets but want to buy one simple to use mold "just in case!!" .I have some pure lead for my muzzleloaders. Thanks, Goshawk

Unless they have changed the design that is just the lighting. Mine is a flat nose. Around a third of an inch of flatness. when made from COWW they are bad medicine on hogs. the local deer are not big enough to present a challenge. The only two black bears i know where are are wearing orange collars and I have heard that they have tracking implants. I figure it would be bad luck to shoot one.

northmn
05-25-2014, 01:37 PM
The best use for the Lee hollow base is for the old trap doors with bores of varying demensions. Taht is what their primary design is for. Many that shoot them swear by them for that use. For a modern rifle they would likely work but others would be just as good or better.