PDA

View Full Version : 44 magnum encore rifle

glockky
05-21-2014, 11:15 PM
Anyone have a 44 mag encore rifle? I have been entertaining the thought of ordering one but wanted to hear others experiences.

What twist do you recommend?

Do you think a 18" barrel would give you good performance? I figure anything over 18" you are probably not gaining anything.

What kind of velocities are you able to get out of the rifle?

thanks for the help

Lonegun1894
05-23-2014, 03:35 AM
Not the same rifle, but I have a 22" H&R .44 Mag and have gotten up to 1850 fps so far without any pressure signs with a 250 gr boolit. My twist is 1:38", and works well, but I also use this for some low velocity quiet work too and wish I had an extra barrel with a faster twist for that, even though I have no problem keeping 240gr cast stable out to at least 100yds with subsonic loads.

glockky
05-23-2014, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the info.

I figured there were more 44 mag encores out there.

Iowa Fox
05-25-2014, 12:24 PM
I have a 26" from the TC Custom shop for my Encore. I actually was looking and looking for a factory 21" for my Contender but just could not find one or was always an hour or two late at Eds TCs. I finally found a brand new in the box 26" for the Encore so I bought it. I like it a lot as the extra length really quiets it down with good accuracy. Midway USA was cataloging 24" with sights just before TC sold out. I think that one would be a good one. Since all that I found 2- 16" 44 mag (Super 16) barrels which I bought for the Contender. The 16" with butt stock is good with light cast loads but recoil is stout with full bore loads, accuracy is good. Its a really handy combination for thick cover. If I'm not in thick multiflora rose or walking a long distace to get to the multiflora rose area I'll take the Encore every time. I think the 24" Encore barrel with sights would be perfect as I have a 24" 45/70 with sights and really like that one. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if Ed has a brand new in the box 24" with sights in the box in inventory.

glockky
05-25-2014, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the info.

I have a 20" katahdin 45-70 barrel on that frame right now and the recoil is just abusive. I have tried loading it down but can't get good accuracy at lower velocities so it's probably going to go.

I have debated on going to the 44 for less recoil and I really like the cartridge.

Or I have even thought of taking the plunge into the bottleneck cartridges which I don't really like and getting a 358win or one of its rimmed variants.

Still working on fine tuning a load for my 357 max right now. After I get it right I'll be ready to work on another caliber.