View Full Version : sun flower shells

guncheese
05-21-2014, 03:33 PM
since i quit smoking (yeah i still was)
i took on the vile habit of sun flower seed spitting
for giggles i saved up a bunch and gave them a try as flux
well im pretty pleased so far
anybody else try them?
they have a nice toasty nut smell and make a nice blanket of char over the top of the melt

DeanWinchester
05-21-2014, 04:00 PM
That's resourceful. Don't see a reason in the world why that wouldn't be just as good as anything. Might help justify the cost of the seeds knowing you get full use of the product ;)

jwber
05-21-2014, 04:05 PM
Just don't spit them into the pot...the tinsel fairy will get ya :-P

JASON4X4
05-21-2014, 08:17 PM
I eat a lot of seeds never thought about saving them I'm gonna start

APDDSN864
05-21-2014, 10:13 PM
You ought to try pistachio hulls if you like the smell of the sunflower shells.:p

Ed

BNE
05-21-2014, 10:28 PM
And I thought I was resourceful.... I'm not ready to save what I spit out .....

WILCO
05-24-2014, 01:16 PM
for giggles i saved up a bunch and gave them a try as flux.....

Interesting concept.

roberts1
05-24-2014, 03:22 PM
Congrats on quitting smoking! I wondered if they would be good for smelting too. Bigs are the best tasting brand in my opinion. Dill pickle first then sea salt and black pepper. We eat a lot of them at our house.

Bigslug
05-26-2014, 11:43 PM
Hmmmm. . .what does SODIUM in the melt do?

guncheese
05-28-2014, 10:44 PM
Congrats on quitting smoking! I wondered if they would be good for smelting too. Bigs are the best tasting brand in my opinion. Dill pickle first then sea salt and black pepper. We eat a lot of them at our house.

NO NO NO!
its Giants Kettle Roast
they are the best!!!

:drinks:

Sweetpea
05-28-2014, 10:51 PM
UMMMM...

Spitz cracked pepper is the BEST seed out there... The Dill Pickle is pretty good too.

When I made a journey across the country last year, I neglected to take enough with me. I had to deal with the junk that is marketed by Big's, David, and Giants...

Was so happy when I made it into Wyoming, and they had Spitz at the gas station!

roberts1
05-29-2014, 10:45 PM
guncheese, you be the judge. This is your thread, collect the above mentioned brands and try them. Then flux with them and let us know which tastes or fluxes the best. But I already know which brand is the best...

flint45
06-01-2014, 10:04 AM
I've been using peanut shells since the 80's they work great just crush em a bit.

SlippShodd
06-01-2014, 11:01 AM
I tried pistachio shells once. I figured since they are made of the hardest element known to dental science, I might also raise the BHN of my alloy. They mostly just smelled really bad smoldering in the pot.

mike

zidave
06-01-2014, 11:21 AM
I actually just tried this the other day.
I thought it smelled awful when they started burning.

Rompin Ruger
06-01-2014, 12:09 PM
Good heavens...

I'm old, but new here, not elsewhere, but some of the great stuff I read has me nearly on the floor laughing! You guys are informative, but also a HOOT! Read here about sawdust...got some from a woodshop neighbor... tried them...and was puzzled how they were to coat the surface... he'd given me what was in his table saw catch box and it was more "shavings" on top than "dust".

I ran it all thru a collander (You married guys need be watchful) and all the dust fell thru and the shavings stayed on top. Next melt, I got DUST to cover with...

I never could get used to splitting those hulls and eating...so being relatively voracious feeder, I buy them as kernels of sunflower seeds roasted and pitted and don't need to spit! :-P

guncheese
06-02-2014, 01:53 PM
don't need to spit! :-P

well whats the sport in that!!