PDA

View Full Version : Ar clips

GOPHER SLAYER
05-21-2014, 02:49 PM
Could someone tell what these are for and what they would be worth? I tried Numrich Arms but got into a revolving door. Thanks

DeanWinchester
05-21-2014, 02:52 PM
They are stripper clips. You'll need three for a thirty round magazine and there's a little stamped sheet metal guide that allows you to shove ten rounds into the magazine quick. They are great and I use them regularly. They are also really good for getting rid of any extra meat and blood your thumbs may have. It's a steep learning curve not unlike a Garand. Lol!

nagantguy
05-21-2014, 02:57 PM
They are stripper clips to load at/ m16 mags. There is a little aluminum piece that slides on to the back of the mag and you then insert a clip loaded with ten rounds and push them in with your thumb. Just like an 03a3 except instead of being milled right into the receiver you use a little tool that you do not have pictured.

snowwolfe
05-21-2014, 04:45 PM
If you had a need to reload a 20 or 30 round magazine really fast those might come in handy. Otherwise the best thing to do is to toss them in the trash:)

Love Life
05-21-2014, 05:16 PM
The others hit it on the head. They really aren't worth much at all. Especially since they literally grow out of the ground on Camp lejeune and other miltary bases. I kept one of the adapters in my helmet band.

GOPHER SLAYER
05-21-2014, 06:48 PM
Thanks guys. I don't own an AR of any kind but I was given a carload of ammo [actually two carloads] and these were in the load. I Have a lot of them.

lefty o
05-21-2014, 06:58 PM
id hit up the big ar15 forum, but if it were me, id say approx 25-50 cents each. of course without the spoon they are pretty worthless.

UBER7MM
05-21-2014, 07:02 PM
Those clips are pretty much more trouble than they're worth if you don't have the stripper clip guide (aka adapter) that slides over the rear of the empty magazine and holds the stripper clip aligned properly for charging. As stated above, the technology is over 100 years old. There's a stripper clip slot on the rear top of military Mauser actions. (The main superiority of the 7mm Spanish Mauser over the 30/40 Krag was the speed of reloading.)
If you have a AR style magazine rifle and plan to fight zombies or survive the Tribulation, then by all means keep them. With stripper clips and a guide you can load a 30 round magazine in about 3 seconds.
I hope this helps,

Hardcast416taylor
05-21-2014, 09:07 PM
Another thing that sorta makes them almost worthless is the retaining tab on 1 end of the stripper be missing.Robert

GOPHER SLAYER
05-21-2014, 11:27 PM
Although I didn't take pictures of them, I have two of the thingys you call guides. Some of the clips are missing one of the little brass tabs but many are not, as I said I have lots of them. I think I will post the box and guides for sale as a package. What ever I get is profit. Thanks again Guys

Cmm_3940
05-21-2014, 11:58 PM
Spoons. The guide thingies are commonly referred to as spoons. If you ever use one of these 'spoons' and decide they are more of a pain than it's worth, take a look at the StripLULA, which works much better in my opinion.

http://www.butler-creek.com/products/strip_lula_loader.html

Scharfschuetze
05-22-2014, 01:20 AM
Ammo issued for combat comes in bandoleers with three 10 round stripper clips per pouch. As old GIs remember from the Nam, those older bandoleers came with 2 stripper clips per pouch. Ammo issued for training usually comes in shrink wrap without the stripper clips. At one time there was an adapter (spoon) with each bandoleer, but now only a few come in each M2A ammo can. As Love Life notes above, smart GIs keep an adapter on themselves.

The Canadian Defense Force guys I worked with had their ammo issued in 10 round plastic stripper clips.

Larry Gibson
05-22-2014, 12:26 PM
I got a couple of the Canadian stripper clip guides when I was shooting with/against the boys of PPCLI. They are really good also and prevent "getting rid of any extra meat and blood your thumbs" as Dean put it:smile:

Larry Gibson

GOPHER SLAYER
05-22-2014, 02:38 PM
Since you guys have enlightened me on what these clips are and how they are used, maybe you can tell what the black safety pins are for. I did a count and I have 95 clips [and all of them have both brass tabs] and 3 spoons. Hey I'm picking up the lingo. Maybe I can join BLACK OPS.

376Steyr
05-22-2014, 02:54 PM
The black safety pins go along with cloth bandoliers the loaded stripper clips are carried in. You can use the pin to attach a spoon to the bandolier, or to pin the bandolier to your clothing so it doesn't swing around and beat you up as you run with it.
Stripper clips work great for refilling empty magazines during a pause in the action. Use a spare mag to push on the ammo in the clip; saves a lot of wear and tear on your thumbs.

mtnman31
05-22-2014, 04:00 PM
Just for reference, since you stated you were considering selling them. I have sold a few small flat rate boxes full of clips for under 15 bucks shipped. If I remembder correctly, I packed about 200 clips into the box and added a couple spoons. As Lovelife said, they aren't worth much and are very common. I have a coffee can full of clips and don't think I'll need anymore between now and my demise.

GOPHER SLAYER
05-22-2014, 04:04 PM
Thanks STYER. I can't help but wonder what the military nomenclature would be if you were a Sargent trying to order these black safety pins and what the gummit pays for them. Hearing the price would probably knock me off my chair .

Mk42gunner
05-22-2014, 05:58 PM
As others have said they really aren't worth shipping, and there isn't enough weight to make them economical to sell to a scrap yard.

I have a few handfuls of them left, and I use them to sort rounds when going to the range. They work for any case with the .223 head size, and also for the .32 S&W Long/ H&R Mag.

Robert

DeanWinchester
05-22-2014, 06:35 PM
To all you fellars who say they ain't worth much, I'll PM you my address and you can send them to me. I keep all my bulk .223 load stored on them, and tightly packed in ammo cans. I hate the local gun shows so I haven't been able to pick any up lately.

GOPHER SLAYER
05-22-2014, 07:22 PM
You have the clips mtnmn but do you have the black safety pins. It makes all the difference.

Larry Gibson
05-22-2014, 10:38 PM
That is the main reason/use as 376Steyr pointed out. Other basic reason we always saved them was to pin together (in the field) rip[s and tears in the pre-rip stop jungle fatigues. Lots of other uses also.

Larry Gibson

43PU
05-23-2014, 01:13 AM
I'll pay you for the clips and spoons if you have them ill take any people want to get rid of..

CastingFool
05-23-2014, 07:51 AM
I would be interested in getting some, too. I have the spoons, and a bunch of black safety pins (sometimes, the safety pins were plated, got those too)

GOPHER SLAYER
05-24-2014, 02:21 PM
When I offer to sell them I want to sell all of them including guides and lets not forget the safety pins.

Blammer
05-24-2014, 09:12 PM
usually they go 10 for a dollar

CastingFool
05-24-2014, 09:48 PM
usually they go 10 for a dollar

that's what I have paid for them at a gun show, and the seller threw in 2 or 3 extra.

GOPHER SLAYER
05-25-2014, 01:43 PM
At ten cents a piece it would hardly pay for the shipping.

xacex
05-25-2014, 01:54 PM
I have an ammo can of these stashed somewhere. I stopped using them when I found the Canadian ones that are some kind of smokeless plastic. They double as a firestarter, and don't have the tabs to break off. The Canadian loaders, and stip lula work great for them, but they don't fit in an unmodified spoon.

nicholst55
05-25-2014, 03:25 PM
If you have a need to load dozens of empty 30-rd AR mags with loose ammo, there is only one way to go, IMHO. The Bench Lula (http://speed-loaders.com/about-maglula-loaders-butler-creek/rifle-loaders-by-maglula/maglula-bench-loader/). It takes roughly one second to load 30 loose rounds into the mag - once they're laid in the Bench Lula. They're definitely not cheap, but then good tools seldom are.

I convinced the Air Force to buy some when I was working with a Security Forces Squadron in the sandbox a few years ago. We had to periodically unload, count the ammo, then reload several hundred mags, and this tool greatly simplified and expedited the job.

Avery Arms
05-25-2014, 05:04 PM
They go for about 30 cents new or 15 cents used, your collection with the spoons should fetch around $20

GOPHER SLAYER
05-25-2014, 07:03 PM
If anyone is willing to send me $20 I will stuff them in a small FRB and send them down the road.

MtGun44
05-31-2014, 08:55 PM
How many for $20? I may bite.

Bill

762 shooter
06-01-2014, 06:42 AM
^^^^^Same here.

Lead Fred
06-01-2014, 08:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIl_j1pCxfg

gew98
06-01-2014, 10:24 AM
Ammo issued for combat comes in bandoleers with three 10 round stripper clips per pouch. As old GIs remember from the Nam, those older bandoleers came with 2 stripper clips per pouch. Ammo issued for training usually comes in shrink wrap without the stripper clips. At one time there was an adapter (spoon) with each bandoleer, but now only a few come in each M2A ammo can. As Love Life notes above, smart GIs keep an adapter on themselves.

The Canadian Defense Force guys I worked with had their ammo issued in 10 round plastic stripper clips.

The 20 rd pocket bandoliers where made up until the early 90's. You could tuck the empty pockets with 20 rd mags. The 30rd pocket bandoleirs came out and were made so that when mags were loded with the 10 rd chargers you could pull a 'feedbag' string and the pockets would then accomodate loaded 30 rd magazines. Handy as all hell. Alot of guys carried their cassette tapes in the 20 rd pocket bandos..... yeah I'm dating myself there. Any grunt worth his salt carried a couple spoons on him somewhere as they were too easy to lose and having a couple bandos and no spoons...could be a problem in a pinch. I've always had good luck loading AR mags with the chargers and see these at shows like knob creek for under 10 cents each regularly..... and often free at the local range in the trash. When you load up hundreds of 5.56 at a sitting and store it they do make storage alot easier and handier. Same with 7.62 nato I put in M14 and FAL 5 rd chargers.

gew98
06-01-2014, 10:29 AM
That is the main reason/use as 376Steyr pointed out. Other basic reason we always saved them was to pin together (in the field) rip[s and tears in the pre-rip stop jungle fatigues. Lots of other uses also.

Larry Gibson

They were great for cleaning fingernails and toothpicks too.Used them alot on weapons cleaning as well. I've got a coffee can of 'em which the wife dips into every now and then