PDA

View Full Version : LEM vacuum bags and ground baggies....review

NVScouter
05-21-2014, 02:16 PM
This year I bought a bunch of LEM brand meat processing stuff, the price is about 25% less than Foodsaver brand. I processed over 1,000lbs of game meat this year and most of that went into LEM branded ground meat bags, sausage casings, and vacuum freezer bags.

I have to say I'm not impressed.

The meat stick casings were good while the sausage casings werent. Many blow outs from weak spots in the side walls, also very firm and worked better after soaking. The dirrections say not to soak but it worked differently for me. I also used LEM hog ring plier and rings. This tool is junk just get a real one at a farm store. Rings were a bit too small but the aplication may have been worse since the pliers were sloppy and not a great casting.

Ground meat bags: Worst product I used.
I have to estimate around 500lbs of ground game was put into these. Its been 6-9 months that its been in the bags and they have TONS of small holes from other meat being moved around in the freezer. Super cheap bags and a bit of freezer burn on some of it. I'm going though the left over meat pretty fast but I'm sure if you stored it for a year or more the losses would be high.

Rolls of freezer bag. Best saving in cost but many of the bags have small holes or just didnt hold together well at the heat seal. Looks great until it defrosts and you see some freezer burned area and the bag pops open. I check and double check the bags when processing, I think this is happening when it freezes.

Over all cheap stuff that I will avoid this coming season. Its too bad because I had high hopes but proof is in the pudding. I hope this helps save some meat for you guys and gals this coming season.

Wayne Smith
05-21-2014, 03:18 PM
Thanks, I'll avoid their products in the future.

MaryB
05-21-2014, 10:45 PM
I buy the premade generic brand food saver bags from these guys http://www.goodmans.net/d/204/tilia-foodsaver-bags-rolls.htm have had very good luck with them

dale2242
05-22-2014, 07:45 AM
The Food saver brand bags/rolls are spendy but very good.
They came be torn with rough handling when full of frozen meat.
Handle them carefully and they work great....dale

NVScouter
05-22-2014, 04:05 PM
The Food saver brand bags/rolls are spendy but very good.
They came be torn with rough handling when full of frozen meat.
Handle them carefully and they work great....dale

This is what I've used the last 5-6 years but local source dried up fast early hunting season and LEM was available and cheaper. Its branded more toward sportsman so I gave it a go..live and learn.

MaryB thanks the heads up I'll try some!

jbake3
05-22-2014, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the heads up!