PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 230 45 cowboy bullet

makicjf
05-21-2014, 11:31 AM
Howdy,
I have been trying to make the lee 230 tc work in my 625. The tl mid section does not allow for enough case tension to hold them in place when taper crimped. Even roll crimping into the last lube groove they would walk. I played with both the 255 rnfp and 252 swc and found that the 252 swc was the most accurate. they work and hit hard. When my 454 came back milled for moon clips, I discovered that the swc shoulder hangs up pretty easily ( much more than in my 625) and makes speed reloads a bit unspeedy sometimes. I cast up some 200 rnfp and roll crimped into the groove and they shot well, but 200 grains is light for an all around utility load. I'm guessing from WW the rcbs 230 will weigh in bewteen 235-240 with a big flat nose and no shoulder, plus a good crimp groove to roll crimp into. I can use it for 45 schofield, 45 colt cowboy loads, 45 acp 1911 thumper loads and 45 acp revolver loads. I can push them pretty hard in the 625 and 454 and have a good medium weight flat nosed killer that will load slick as a whistle in moon clips or in speedloaders. I think the flat nose will make up for the 15-20 grains difference bewteen the swc and the rcbs 230 cm. I'm really looking forward to getting this mold and making a mountain of them...I can use it in everything and not sacrifice anything!
anyone have any experience with it?
Jason