PDA

View Full Version : Para Expert 1911 45acp

trochilids
05-21-2014, 03:06 AM
I was standing at the alter this afternoon staring at the message board in front of me at the local Sportsman's Warehouse when an advertisement for a sale on a Para Expert 1911 45ACP caught my eye. After manufacturer's rebate and an instore sale, it ends up being $399. So after the obligatory cleansing, I ambled over to the gun counter and eyed the merchandise. Looks pretty interesting. I'm not much of an impulse buyer so I came home and read reviews and watched YouTube videos for a couple hours. Looks like an interesting gun.

Then we checked the mail and low and behold Uncle Sam finally decided our accountant's appeal of our business tax error from 2011 (from a prior accountant) results in a handy little refund. :smile: Wife says I can invest in another handgun if she can spend $400 on herself. Like I have any say in that, anyway...

So... From my reading it looks like some of the 2009ish reviews of the Para GI Expert 1911 were really poor, but some of the newer models come across well. Does anyone here have any experience with these guys?

Most of my shooting has been with a Ruger SR45 and SR9 -- I love the grip feel and the way those fit my hand. I have a Ruger 22/45 Lite which has the 1911 grip angle / grips and of course is 22lr. I actually like that grip, too... My carry gun is a SW M&P Shield 40. Not super fun to shoot for extended periods at the range (small grip for my hands), but that's not the purpose of that one. I probably wouldn't carry the 1911 on most occasions, but there's always room in the barn for one more.

In a MONTH (:!:) we should be moving to our new house, so I'll be able to set up the casting / reloading table this summer. Interested in any thoughts on the Para 1911 as it relates to eating cast boolits, too.

Thanks!

trochilids
05-21-2014, 11:15 PM
The price was right and I couldn't bear to let a chance to try a new gun pass another day. Lunch time found me at the gun counter, and I guess I'm officially a member of the 1911 club. I do really like my Ruger SR45, but the gun counter guy said I'd sell it once I started shooting the 1911. We'll see. :-)

I kept thinking I'd seen the hard bodied Para case before. Then I walked through the garage and saw my Dremel case. Bingo!

DR Owl Creek
05-22-2014, 01:56 PM
I have three Paras, all Para Ordnance pistols from the mid-1990's: a P-14 Limited, a P-13 Limited, and a P-12 Limited. They're all great shooters, AND reliable. After Para made the move to South Carolina, there were some problems. Supposedly, they fixed those problems before they were bought out by Freedom Group. I have no idea what the current production models are like.

Dave