PDA

View Full Version : Quigley sharps weight reduction.

tdroo
05-20-2014, 05:48 PM
Hello out there, this is my first post. Being fairly new to bpcr, ive developed some decent rounds to 100yrds and thinking of trying some bpcr events. But, the rifle of mine is to heavy for nra rules. My question is can i cut off 6"of barrel to reduce weight. Accuracy will suffer i think? 6inchs of barrel equels to 1lb2oz. Any other sugguestions would be great.

EDG
05-20-2014, 06:22 PM
Take it to an event and tell them you would like to shoot with your rifle as is.
You will not qualify for placing in the match but you will get a taste of what it is like without changing your rifle.

You may have someone at the match offer to let you shoot his rifle and his ammo too.
You can ask your question at BPCR.net. Some of those guys post here too.

Do you have a good set of sights on your rifle? The elevation and windage (if the wind is blowing) changes are significant.
If you don't have a good rear sight attend the match and let someone coach you. You need a spotter anyway. If you have only shot your rifle at 100 yards you may need some help and a good bit of extra ammo to get on target at the longer ranges.

Once you shoot a bit you may find you need another rifle and you may want to trade in or sell an unaltered Quigley.
I have a Billy Dixon Pedersoli and it is much lighter than your rifle. It also has the military rifle butt which is very hard on your shoulder.
Shooting BPCR competition is much more comfortable shooting with the larger flat shotgun butt plates.

tdroo
05-20-2014, 06:41 PM
Thanks EDG. ive heard the commoradery at the shoots. The rifle was a freebee so sinking some $ for alterations is ok for me. Ive have looked at a cssharps that would be nra ok. but its used. Th quigley shoots great so maybe i'll just throw some lead and have some fun.

country gent
05-20-2014, 08:05 PM
Shooting a few matches with what you have will also give you experience to what you want in a rifle and equipment. Most local matches arent real strict to the letter of the rules and would rather have shooters in attendance learning. If possible watch a match or 2 before entering. Use a spotting scope and get an idea of spotting shots reading wind and what range commands there are and what to do. Talk to the shooters before and after ( during most are busy). How heavy is your rifle? What caliber? As to equipment there is not alot of extras needed. A set of Cross sticks in the desired hieght, a spotting scope for seeing shots as they go down. Possibly a stool or mat depending on position you want to use. A spotting board is helpfull also. The biggest item and cheapest is a small note pad ( get a good one) for keeping track of loads and zeros along with any pertinant information. Ranges can be from 100-500 yards at a given match. Having the established zeros from several matches for the rifle wrote down makes things much easier.

zuke
05-20-2014, 09:03 PM
Sell it as is and buy what you want.

05-20-2014, 09:14 PM
What the other guys said.................... It's your gun & you can do what you want, however, I would not alter it. If it shoots good, leave it alone. Cutting it off might wreck it. Might not. In any event you will need a recrown job at a minimum. Take it to the matches, try and shoot there and see what happens. After you spend some time around the sport, you will develop a desire for what fits you best.

oldred
05-20-2014, 10:23 PM
Just out of curiosity how much does your rifle actually weigh?

slumlord44
05-20-2014, 11:38 PM
I always wanted a Quigley. If it were mine I would not cut the barrel.

tdroo
05-21-2014, 05:36 PM
Ok you guys convinced me,leave the gun as is. My only concern is offhand shooting. I'll have to bulk up a bit and deal with the weight.

Bullfrog
05-26-2014, 08:43 AM
What has the weight got to do with it? I have not shot in any matches but would sure like to and I have a Taylor sharps (italian job also) and I wonder what weight has bearing on a shooting match?

Don McDowell
05-26-2014, 09:52 AM
What has the weight got to do with it? I have not shot in any matches but would sure like to and I have a Taylor sharps (italian job also) and I wonder what weight has bearing on a shooting match?

Frog, the NRA bpcr sillouette rules state the rifle can't weigh over 12 lbs 2oz. BPTR weight limit is 15 lbs.

Ps. they shoot registered silloutte at Watkins every month, it's on Saturday, so check the schedule and head on out Mr. Chill Wills will likely be glad to have you attend.

country gent
05-26-2014, 09:56 AM
Another concern with wieght is that most matches have an offhand ( standing no support stage) A rifle that is to heavy for the person using it can be a real problem. A to light rifle is hard on the shoulder 2 heavy tires and is hard to hold steady

Bullfrog
05-26-2014, 09:59 AM
Don are you talking Watkins CO? If so I had not heard of such a thing.

CG thanks for the info. I can appreciate both perspectives. I am not certain of the weight of my Taylor.

Don McDowell
05-26-2014, 10:05 AM
Frog they've been doing that for a few years http://www.goldengunclub.com/blackpowdersilhouette.php

Your taylor will make weight with flying colors.

Gunlaker
05-26-2014, 10:16 AM
Another option is to put an MVA scope on it :-). If the rifle isn't much over weight, you can add a scope as the scopes are pretty light and the class allows for more weight.

I wouldn't mess with a rifle that shoots well.

Chris.

Bullfrog
05-26-2014, 10:31 AM
Don,
Huh, been here all my life and never knew that and it is so very close to me. After reading this I realize that my eyes are not what they once where and I question being able to shoot at such distances without a scope. I would like to try someday.

As for this thread, Please do not alter that Quigley and like many have said buy what you need to shoot. Cutting that barrel down will destroy the value and alter it's intended purpose. Even cutting on that stock is not the best option. It will take that rifle and lower it's cost at least in half, at least in my opinion.

bob208
05-29-2014, 04:51 PM
as others have said if it shoots good don't mess with it.