PDA

View Full Version : Condiment Cross & Blackwell clone.

Changeling
05-20-2014, 04:05 PM
Hello to all. There is a seafood diping sauce called "Cross and Blackwell" that is the best I have ever used as a slight dip on steamed shrimp/ clams/whatever, fried/steamed/whatever and especialy fish (having tonight).

This is the number one selling seafood sause on the East Coast, been around forever. This stuff isn't cheap (for what you get), so I was wondering if anyone has tried it and cloned it or made something similar to it?

Now I am NOT talking about the other commercial brands, none of them compare to C&B whatsoever!! I've tried them all (almost), more than a few times. It's really that good , somewhat heavy on the horse radish, hard to explain it's taste.

gwpercle
05-20-2014, 04:43 PM
Describe it as best you can. I'm from Louisiana and not familiar with Cross and Blackwell. I have a recipe for a dipping sauce that we like... use it on boiled shrimp , crawfish, fish, I even use it on ham sandwich. It has even been published in a seafood cookbook. It contains mayonnaise, ketchup, Dijon mustard, Durkees' Famous Sauce and other stuff, It may not be anything like the Cross and Blackwell. But I will be glad to post it.
Gary

bstone5
05-20-2014, 05:03 PM
Is The Stuff

http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Blackwell-Seafood-Cocktail-Sauce/dp/B0000TA3GM/ref=sr_1_10/179-7356358-9957838?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1400619686&sr=1-10&keywords=cross+and+blackwell

gwpercle
05-20-2014, 09:00 PM
The C & B sauce would be called a cocktail sauce around here also...tomato based with horseradish. Not anything like my recipe, which is more like a remoulade sauce. Sorry...I see why you would like to make your own.....$6.00 for 12 oz. is pricey.
I did a search and found a recipe that the poster said "reminds me of C & B "...might be worth trying,

Seafood Cocktail Sauce

1/2 cup tomato ketchup
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup chile sauce
1/2 teaspoon grated Vidalia or other sweet type onion.
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 or 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish- to taste!
1/8 teaspoon Louisiana style Hot Sauce (optional)

Combine all ingredients and chill.

here is something to get your started on your cocktail sauce quest, keep us posted.
Gary

DougGuy
05-21-2014, 10:42 AM
I make cocktail sauce and remoulade but I just wing it and so it's a bit different every time and I got where I liked that. Cocktail sauce I use ketchup, lots of horseradish, a bit of worcestershire and LOTS of fried shrimp or oysters! Remoulade here is mayo and relish, and some crystal hot sauce stirred together.. It's the KISS rule for sauces in our house..

jroc
06-18-2014, 08:28 AM
I'm like DougGuy I don't have proportions just guess and by golly. I can tell you and guess about how much that I put in mine. I would say about 1 cup of ketchup, a good 2 tablespoon of horseradish probably more maybe about a teaspoon of bottled lemon juice about 1/2 teaspoon of worsterchire sauce and about the same amount of Franks Red Hot Sauce. I aways have to fine tune it after I'm done.