PDA

View Full Version : 38 special, S&W model recommendations

osteodoc08
05-20-2014, 02:53 PM
Basically I'm hoping you guys can introduce me to Smiths 38/357 revolver models with adjustable sights and 4-6" barrels. I'm still learning my older smiths and would like to pick up a nice shooter, but dont know what to look for. Pictures are always helpful. Gonna start perusing GB and hope to get one for when it starts cooling off in October. I'd love to have a Model 27, but just too pricey. I've got a Book on Smith and Wesson handguns and will start to read through it a little too.

Mohavedog
05-20-2014, 03:05 PM
I would look for a decent mod 19 which is a .357 and will also shoot .38spl of course. If you only need one for .38 spl then look for a mod 15. There are many others through the years but probably harder to find and costlier.
Mohavedog

cuzinbruce
05-20-2014, 03:19 PM
If you want adjustable sights in 38 Spl, that mostly means the Model 14 (K38), 6" or 8 3/8" barrels, or Combat masterpiece, with 4" barrel. Those are K-frames. There was also an Outdoorsman in 38 Spl, adjustable sights, 6 or 6 1/2" barrel on the larger N-frame. Then there was a Highway Patrolman , Model 28, I think, in 357 Mag. Like a Model 27 but a less expensive finish. N-frame. All with adjustable sights. If you can live with service sights, there used to be a ton of police trade-ins, Model 10 Heavy Barrels and the like. I bought one a few years ago for $175. Probably still some floating around, or traded in again. I have shot or owned most of these models. You can hardly go wrong. If you are going to be target shooting, 38 Spl used to be the standard. If you are going hunting, you might want the 357.
Have fun.

osteodoc08
05-20-2014, 03:42 PM
If you want adjustable sights in 38 Spl, that mostly means the Model 14 (K38), 6" or 8 3/8" barrels, or Combat masterpiece, with 4" barrel. Those are K-frames. There was also an Outdoorsman in 38 Spl, adjustable sights, 6 or 6 1/2" barrel on the larger N-frame. Then there was a Highway Patrolman , Model 28, I think, in 357 Mag. Like a Model 27 but a less expensive finish. N-frame. All with adjustable sights. If you can live with service sights, there used to be a ton of police trade-ins, Model 10 Heavy Barrels and the like. I bought one a few years ago for $175. Probably still some floating around, or traded in again. I have shot or owned most of these models. You can hardly go wrong. If you are going to be target shooting, 38 Spl used to be the standard. If you are going hunting, you might want the 357.
Have fun.

I've got a 586 and aquired a Stainless Ruger NMBH in 357M today actually. I also have a JM Marlin carbine in 38/357. This will mostly be a plinker and to teach on as the kids get older. I dont know what it is, but I've never really been a fan of the service/fixed sights on revolvers. No particular reason why, just never cared for them.

BCRider
05-20-2014, 03:54 PM
You're really going to like that 586. It's a trifle bigger and heavier than the K frame guns suggested. But you'd have to handle them back to back to even possibly notice the difference.

Mind you.... at some point for shooting a regular diet of .38Spl adding a delightfully balanced 4 inch Model 15 to your collection would be great addition. They point so well that to me it feels like I'm just pointing my finger at the target.

FergusonTO35
05-20-2014, 10:36 PM
I would advise a 15 or 67. Beware of well worn LE trade-ins at high prices, there are alot of them out there.

odis
05-20-2014, 11:02 PM
I got sick of scrubbing the cylinder on the 357 and a little over a year ago I picked up a M15 for the coffee cans of 38 brass. Best investment I've ever made. Truly one of the great guns.

Petrol & Powder
05-21-2014, 12:01 AM
So instead of saying, "this is what I have so you should get the same thing".....I'm going to take a different tack.

There are a lot of excellent S&W revolvers out there and I would suggest narrowing your criteria so that you can tailor your choice to what you want.

Based on the original post, I would say that you're seeking something in the K/L frame territory but would pick up a N-frame model 27/28 if the price was right. J-frames are out of the running and you're leaning towards adjustable sights.

You didn't specify what you plan to use the revolver for, so I'll provide a little opinion here:
I find the 4" barrels to be an excellent compromise for carry and target work. The 6" barrels are OK for a dedicated target gun or hunting but I find the 6" tube to be a bit unwieldy most of the time. The 4" barrel just seems to be a better all-around gun and you don't give up much in terms of sight radius or velocity.

If you're planning to shoot a lot of .357 magnum rounds, then you might want to lean a little towards an L-frame (model 586 or 686) or a N-frame (model 27 or 28). Obviously, you can shoot 38 Special cartridges in a .357 magnum chambers but the question is, "will you shoot a lot of .357 magnums"? I find a lot of folks buy a .357 magnum not because they shoot a lot of .357 magnum rounds but rather in case they WANT to shoot .357 magnum rounds !. Having that .357 capability is great but if you're going to be punching holes in paper 99% of the time you may want the shorter chamber. The 38 Special is no slouch in the self defense arena, particularly if you can shoot it well.

A previous poster suggested that if you can live with fixed sights there are some possible models that would fill your needs. I concur with that and will say that I prefer fixed sights for working guns. Furthermore, I find that fixed sights give up very little in terms of accuracy and they are a lot tougher. The S&W adjustable sight is a good sight and fairly tough but the fixed sights are even tougher.

Stainless steel vs. blued steel is another choice. I like stainless for working guns but some folks just think that a revolver should be blued carbon steel. Your call.

Round butt vs. Square butt. In a 4" or longer barreled revolver, there is little need for a round butt. The square butt is generally easier to shoot and you likely will not need the "conceal-ability" factor of a round butt with a 4" or 6" tube.

I think until you narrow your criteria a little, you're just going to get a lot of, " I have this gun and I think you should have this gun too..."

osteodoc08
05-21-2014, 08:37 AM
Petrol and Powder,

You make good points. If I'm gonna list my criteria:

Use: range and plinking and to show the kids how to shoot as they get older.
Caliber: 38 special or 357 Magnum
Finish: blued
Grip: square butt
Barrel length: 4" or 6"
Sights: Adjustable

I already have a 586 I thoroughly enjoy and a stainless blackhawk. I still would like a 27 to go along with my 57s.

I do load and shoot full tilt 357, but sometimes you need to show up the spray and pray crowd up at the range by dusting those orange round disks up on the berm with your lowly 38 revolver.

Petrol & Powder
05-21-2014, 09:58 PM
osteodoc08 - now that you have a baseline concerning your anticipated uses, your search parameters become much narrower.

You already have a 586 ( an excellent gun by the way ) so you have a solid L-frame, .357 magnum capable revolver without any forcing cone issues or other wear related problems. You also have a N-frame, albeit chambered in 41 mag, so you have that covered.
I'm going suggest a blued K-frame that is chambered in 38 Special. Here is my logic:

1. If the gun isn't chambered in .357 mag, it will have been confined to 38 Special cartridges only. Even if a lot of those 38's were +P rounds you at least know they weren't .357's
2. The K-frame is a little lighter than the L frame and a lot lighter than an N- frame .357.
3. If you want to teach kids how to shoot a revolver, the slightly smaller K-frame may be a better starting platform and it gives up nothing in the realm of 38 Special cartridges.
4. I don't know the barrel length of your 586, maybe it fills the void for a 6" barreled revolver? In any event, I would still suggest a 4" barreled K-frame for greater flexibility of uses. The 4" barrel is fine in all but the most demanding target pursuits and is overall, a far more useful handgun.
5. I agree with the square butt configuration for your potential uses and blued guns are just fine for your needs.
6. I don't agree with adjustable sights but it's your gun and not mine. FWIW, the S&W adjustable sight is one of the best.

SO; I think you're looking at a Model 15 (4" barrel, square butt, adjustable sight, 38 Special, K-frame revolver)
If you can tolerate stainless steel, the model 67 is basically the same gun. If you can tolerate stainless steel and fixed sights....a model 64 would fit the bill and there are a LOT of those out there.

The model 14 K-38 is an excellent gun but they come with a 6" barrel (there were reportedly a few 4" versions but I've never seen one and even if you found one, it is basically a model 15)

The 38 special cartridge is a great round and one of my absolute favorites. Accurate, cheap, low recoil, huge range of potential loadings and just plain FUN !

I'm sure others will provide their input and I would recommend you consider all valid input.

GOOD LUCK !!!!

Char-Gar
05-21-2014, 10:21 PM
I have over 20 Smith and Wesson DA revolvers in 38 Special and 357 Magnum and have had several times that number more over the years. I like lots of different handguns but these are the high water mark in my opinion. Do as you wish, but here is how I would do it if I started all over again.

1. If I could have only one it would be a 6" Model 27 or Model 28. 357 Magnum Cosmetics are really the only difference between the two.

2. If I could add another it would be a 6" Model 14 (K-38) 38 Special

3. No 3 to the collection would be a 4" Model 19 (Combat Magnum) 357 Magnum

4. No. 4 would be a 4" Model 15 (Combat Masterpiece) 38 Special

This stuff is all very personal, but you asked and these would be my picks in order. They all fit your criterion. I own all of them and plenty more.

Petrol & Powder
05-21-2014, 10:39 PM
Listen to Char-Gar !

Love Life
05-21-2014, 11:11 PM
Model 28!!

osteodoc08
05-22-2014, 12:40 AM
Char Gar, what's the 1st and 3rd pictured models? That's what I had in mind as far as aesthetics.

LL- digging the model 28 you've got pictures there.

EdS
05-22-2014, 07:01 AM
I have several S&W .38 and .357 revolvers. One that I especially like to play with is a 6" M-10, fixed sights of course. Working up loads with various bullet weights and velocities to "shoot to the sights" is an enjoyable exercise. I just finished (?) work with three different full-wadcutter boolits, and may go back to revisit some semi-wadcutter loads. I wouldn't mind having a similar revolver with 4" barrel, speaking K-frame, for variety. Enjoy those Smiths, Ed

Petrol & Powder
05-22-2014, 07:15 AM
Char Gar, what's the 1st and 3rd pictured models? That's what I had in mind as far as aesthetics.

I think I can answer that and Char-Gar can correct me if I get it wrong. The guns appear to be exactly what Char-Gar put in his list in the same order. The first photo looks like a Model 27 and the third photo appears to be a model 19

Petrol & Powder
05-22-2014, 07:19 AM
Actually upon closer inspection he labeled most of the photos and the first one is labeled a Model 28. So it's the 6" version of the same gun Love Life posted. BTW-LL, that is a great model 28!

I still vote for the model 15 but there isn't a bad choice in the bunch.

Char-Gar
05-22-2014, 07:22 AM

The handguns pictured are the ones mention in my post about preference. Top left is a 6" Model 28 (Highway Patrolman), Top right is a 6" Model 14 (K-38), Bottom left is a 4" Model 19 (Combat Magnum) and Bottom right is a 4" Model 15 (Combat Masterpiece).

Murphy
05-22-2014, 07:35 AM
S&W Model 15 (search under Combat Masterpiece on GB) or 65 for a pure .38 Special.

Stepping up in size & weight, a good Model 28 is hard to beat. Of course it is a .357, but given the going prices (all over the chart) on S&W's (pre-lock) you can expect to drop $450 for a good clean one. If you find a Model 28 at that price, it's a bargain. The Model 27 is the flagship of S&W's for all intent and purpose. Now and then, a Model 27 in 6" length will show up on Gunbroker for a decent price. I've seen some Model 28's go for about the same as a Model 27 in some cases.

And last but far from least, a 5" Model 27 is pretty much as good as it gets. Mine, would be the last .357 I would ever part with.

Murphy

Petrol & Powder
05-22-2014, 07:37 AM
Char-Gar, I believe I read somewhere that years ago the LAPD issued model 14's with 6" barrels and later cut some of those down to 4" before switching to the model 15. Does that sound correct?

Char-Gar
05-22-2014, 08:01 AM
Char-Gar, I believe I read somewhere that years ago the LAPD issued model 14's with 6" barrels and later cut some of those down to 4" before switching to the model 15. Does that sound correct?

I do know they issues both Model 14s and 15s at one time. I don't know if they chopped down any 14s, but it would not surprise me one bit. For generations, the Smith and Wesson and Colt revolvers in 38 Special were issued to just about every police department and agency in this country. The Highway Patrol tended to use the 357 Magnum round. With proper ammo the 38 Special is still a very respectable round to "take care of business" with.

Somewhere along the way, the various LEO types thought they were outgunned on the streets by the thugs and started issuing high capacity 9mms and later 40s. The number of shots fired per hit went way up with that change and bystanders were placed in increased danger when the cops started pressing the trigger. There is no going back to the "service revolver", but it was made obsolete by a change in thinking and perception and not by any kind of reality.

Petrol & Powder
05-22-2014, 08:29 AM
10-4 on the "no going back to the service revolver". And I agree that the 38 Special is a respectable round for many purposes, including self defense. They seem to get maligned in some circles, which is a shame. A 158 gr. 38 Special +P LHP (AKA the FBI load) or even a good Keith style solid SWC; put in the right place - has been well proven to stop most fights. In less serious arenas, with different loadings; it's just a damn fun cartridge!

On the plus side, even though a lot of LE revolvers had hard lives and not always well cared for, there were a LOT made. The shear numbers produced improve the odds of finding a good example here and there. The 38/357 S&W DA revolvers are American icons and I'm happy to see people seeking them out for their personal collections.

Harry O
05-22-2014, 08:40 AM
I have several Model 15's and one in stainless steel (Model 67?) for the EOTWAWKI. Enough for everyone in my immediate family. They are all LEO trade-ins that I was able to buy cheap. In every case, the gun looks bad on the outside (well worn bluing and occasionally some fine rust pits), but they all lock up tight and are in great alignment. They were carried a lot, but not shot much. I have found them from time to time on gun show tables being sold by private individuals who price them to sell. And sell they do. They are a great value. They are all very accurate, just like you would expect from a S&W K-frame.

I personally stay away from .357 Magnum K-frames now that they have the L-frame for that cartridge. I also stay away from N-frames because they don't fit my hands. Try one DA before you buy it. If your finger can't reach the trigger properly, you won't be able to shoot it with any kind of accuracy DA. For hunting, that is not much of a problem since you will probably be using it SA anyway.

Surprisingly, I find a lot of Model 10's (without adjustable sights) and usually, the price is not much different than the Model 15's. The adjustable sight is well worth some extra money.

Petrol & Powder
05-22-2014, 09:00 AM
For just plain toughness, I prefer stainless steel and fixed sights but the blued carbon steel S&W's with adjustable sights are functional works of art. If the original poster is seeking a pristine example of a blued S&W DA revolver, they are certainly available. It's simply a matter of price & patience.

Love Life
05-22-2014, 10:54 AM

5.0 gr of unique under a 358429 in 38 special brass is what that eats as a steady diet. Very accurate and smacks things hard!

jumbeaux
05-22-2014, 11:03 AM
Char Gar is right on with his recommendations. I enjoy a S&W Model 28, a Victory and a no dash Model 10. All are 4" and they are a real joy to shoot. Just purchased a Ruger SP101 2.25" 357...built like a tank but I just cannot warm up to it...it will go to my son or go away soon...S&W Model 14 6" Pre 1980 will be it's replacement (I hope)...good luck sir...

rick

mrk_86
05-22-2014, 11:13 AM
if your not dead set on a s&w look at a ruger gp100

Love Life
05-22-2014, 11:13 AM
The 4 inch model 28 is a joy to shoot and accurate at ranges that will surpise you. My 6 inch model 28 was also a joy and very accurate. I had a 4 inch 586 no lock, but just couldn't really warm up to it like I did the model 28's. The model 27, and pre-27, are the creme de la creme to me. Just beautiful and functional art. Those guns scream "I may be amazing looking, but I will be your worst nightmare if you cross the man holding me." You can usually find decent deals on finish worn model 27 revolvers and the model 28 revolvers are nicely priced as well.

Char-Gar
05-22-2014, 11:26 AM
As yes, the 4" Model 28. I an down to just one now after my son and son-in-law relieved me of the others. I like them very much, but if I could just have one I would go with the 6" for the smidge more sight radius and velocity. But I don't have to have just one, I can have more than one.

Char-Gar
05-22-2014, 11:28 AM
if your not dead set on a s&w look at a ruger gp100

Don't do that. Stay on topic, which is Smith and Wesson. If we move off that, I will be forced to post pics of Colts. :-)

Love Life
05-22-2014, 11:33 AM
As yes, the 4" Model 28. I an down to just one now after my son and son-in-law relieved me of the others. I like them very much, but if I could just have one I would go with the 6" for the smidge more sight radius and velocity. But I don't have to have just one, I can have more than one.

Sir,

I agree with everything you typed 100%!!

My 6 inch model 28 loaded with the NOE 358477 GC cast of 20:1 and loaded over stout dose of 2400 absolutely wreaks havoc on cans, rocks, logs, rabbits, and ground squirrels.

lonewelder
05-22-2014, 05:42 PM
If I were you I would look for a mdl 19,15.the mdl 15s are getting to be collectible as are all s&w wheel guns but the 15s more than the 19s.also I would not overlook a clean mdl 10,the sites are regulated for standard pressure 38s and they shoot just fine

osteodoc08
05-22-2014, 06:09 PM
The hunt it on for a 15, 19, 27 or 28. Thanks guys

Petrol & Powder
05-22-2014, 11:08 PM
AWESOME !, of course I'm quietly rooting for the model 15 to win. :drinks:

bedbugbilly
05-23-2014, 08:50 PM
I can only speak from the Smith's I've had experience with - and I only have 38s

I have a Combat Masterpiece (DOB 1956) 4" barrel and it's an awesome shooter - think Model 15 - has adjustable sights . . .

I have a 4th Change M & P mid 1920s "Target" - 6 inch barrel - being a target it has adjustable sights - it's a "tack driver"

My favorite though is my 1952 M & P with a 5" barrel - my favorite 38 spl. and a fun and accurate shooter . . . .

Of course they are all K frames. While you mentioned adjustable sights - don't overlook the standard K frame M & P and Model 10. I was brought up shooting SA BP revolvers so am familiar with a variety of styles of non adjustable sights - to me, the M & P / Model 10 basic blade and grooved frame is just a nice as an adjustable sight once you "learn your revolver" . . .

Lots of good models out there - you just need to find one that fits your needs the best. You won't' be disappointed with a Smith . .

I have Colts, Rugers, Smiths and other brands . . . but my "go to" is still my basic M & P / Model 10 style revolver and I love the 5" barrel - I only shoot cast but it likes RN, WC and SWC and shoots them accurately - it's more accurate than I am . .. LOL

BigAl52
05-23-2014, 09:52 PM
I currently own a model 14 6" K 38 and a model 66 6". I have owned numerous 586 and 686 smiths. I am a big smith and wesson fan and own several model 57's and 657's. 41 mag is king at my house. I however recently bought a GP-100 match champion. That Ruger will out shoot any smith 357 that I have ever owned and is just a joy to shoot. I would buy another one of those in a heartbeat. Al

Frank46
05-23-2014, 11:46 PM
Adjustable sights come on the model 15 combat masterpiece and also the model 14 target revolver. If it's just 38 special you want to shoot you couldn't go wrong with either one. The model 15 usually has a 4" bbl and the K38 aka model 14 is usually 6" so take your pic. I have one of each. They are accurate and amply strong for what you want and can be found for decent money. When you get to the N framed revolvers 38/357 now you are talking money. Frank

MtGun44
05-25-2014, 01:03 AM
Model 14, they WILL shoot.

The most beautiful 28 I ever saw is owned by a friend and I was
thinking about buying it. He let me take it to the range. A pig. About 2-3 inch
groups at 25 yds with ANY ammo I tried, and I am not new to .357s and .38s.
Couldn't figure it, but he still has the gun.

I have a 586 which is also super accurate and shoots 7 times.

Bill