PDA

View Full Version : I'm not complaining, they had powder.

enfieldphile
05-20-2014, 02:04 PM
It's true when they say a person can & will be desensitized to almost anything.

The local place had 3 each 1# containers of Herco. $37.50 + Tax.

I bought 'em all, and was d_ _ _ glad to get it.

Here's the thing, the slots on the shelf for Bulseye, Unique and 2400 were empty. Herco works for any midrange to heavy load! ;) I discovered it in the mid-80's and never looked back. :)

DeanWinchester
05-20-2014, 02:07 PM
Wow. Who'd a thunk it. Nigh $40 a pound. ...and I was feeling ripped for paying $24 for a pound of 4198 the other day.

I know what you're saying though. Thankful for what we can get.

Garyshome
05-20-2014, 07:27 PM
Way to much! I would not have bought it.

dragon813gt
05-20-2014, 07:41 PM
If you needed it then you gotta do what you gotta do. It was to stay ahead then it might be a foolish purchase if you had months to find a replacement. I was mad when they weren't giving me a break for buying eight pounders. But I don't have to worry about powder for a long time.

DrCaveman
05-20-2014, 09:12 PM
While it does seem like herco is a good one to have these days, with its versatility, i wouldnt have paid that much

Remember WE are the market, and we live in a capitalist economy. If you really want to KEEP paying that much for powder, then continue to give them business and your wish will be granted

Love Life
05-20-2014, 09:44 PM
Way to much! I would not have bought it.

I would have bought it all and laughed all the way to the reloading bench. You can sit at the range and complain about paying too much during the AFTER firing bulls session, or you can sit at the house and complain about not having powder.

I'd rather be at the range!

Beagle333
05-20-2014, 09:49 PM
My LGS gets $26-30 for anything they got..... and I'm glad to pay it when I see it on the shelf. :D I'm not going to fall for getting robbed somewhere for the $99 brick of .22lr, but $26 for a can of powder is only about $3 more than they were getting before the drought.

mikeym1a
05-20-2014, 11:32 PM
I just spent my month's play money for some powder. Got from one of the guys here. Price was a bit higher than powder available locally, except this powder isn't available here. So, I paid the price. Now at least i have the powder I want and need. Like the man said, you do what you have to. I'm satisfied, and there's a bit of money left in the old wallet. Could be worse. mikey

FLHTC
05-21-2014, 08:58 AM
There was a guy on here who had about 40 lbs for sale last summer and wanted $350 for it. It was an hour and a half drive for me but it was well worth it. Alliant, Hodgdon, IMR, Accurate Arms, RamShot.....fast shotgun to magnum rifle and many in between. I'm so glad i jumped on it

atr
05-21-2014, 09:32 AM
I just bought 4895 and 4064 for $23.75 / lb ...from my small hole-in-the-wall gunshop

Cabela's and the other boutique sports shops are charging +$32/ lb.....

Pb2au
05-21-2014, 10:33 AM
If you need it, buy it, says I. Bearing in mind of course that you aren't eating cat food and living in a cardboard box.

I just scooped up 4#'s of 4064 the other day, paid about 25-ish$ a pound.

GhostHawk
05-21-2014, 03:15 PM
Cabella's just had some IMR 4895 and for under 30$ price too!

Handloader109
05-22-2014, 07:12 AM
Found my lgs is cheaper than the cabelas and any of the bass pro shops I've been in. Buy what you need, not more and prices will slowly drop

Beau Cassidy
05-23-2014, 09:09 AM
You gotta do what you gotta do but that just reset the economics of reloading supplies in his store.

enfieldphile
05-23-2014, 09:13 AM
Exactly!

I used to just buy powder 1# @ a time. The same for .22 ammo. I would buy .22 match ammo a brick @ a time from an internet site or a box of bulk .22's @ WallyWorld.

The current, deplorable situation has changed me! When a case of Eley .22 match ammo came available, I bought it. When a case + of std velocity S&B .22 came available, I bought it. Ditto for .17HMR Ammo; I bought it!

When Herco came available, I ponied up the $$.

There are things we can make for ourselves. Smokeless powder and .22 ammo aren't on "do-it-yourself" list.

I'de druthers be shooting! ;)

I would have bought it all and laughed all the way to the reloading bench. You can sit at the range and complain about paying too much during the AFTER firing bulls session, or you can sit at the house and complain about not having powder.

I'd rather be at the range!

dragon813gt
05-23-2014, 09:23 AM
There are things we can make for ourselves. Smokeless powder and .22 ammo aren't on "do-it-yourself" list.

Get yourself a copy of the Army TM31-210 Manual. Making smokeless powder isn't as hard as you think. Same w/ priming compound. Neither should be approached lightly but they're doable if you're a careful methodical person.

You are right about paying the price if you want to keep shooting. By the end of the summer I might have to start paying up for 22.