PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the RIA 1911 Tactical .45!

seagiant
05-20-2014, 10:29 AM
Hi,
I just ordered one of these. Plan to do a few mods to it but thought it was a good deal at $499 OTD! Like that it comes with ambi safety (I'm a lefty!) Was wondering what people thought of the RIA pistols and what "upgrades" you have done? Thanks!

osteodoc08
05-20-2014, 10:38 AM
Made in the phillipines with reportedly older colt machinery out of reasonable steels with basic fitting performed. Imported under the names of RIA, Armscor, Charles Daly, etc. Decent buy for the money for a shooter, but not one that I would bother to customize or dump money into. I bought one for my father many years ago when they were just coming to market and have been happy with it. It is a basic GI design with standard GI sights and is minute of paper out to 25 yards. Its a fun range plinker.

They have develped the reputation as affordable plinker. I also bought my FIL one a year or two ago in the configuration you showed. Its ran fine. Edges are a little sharp and not as polished as some of the bigger name guns, but it goes bang when he pulls the trigger and is accurate enough. His skills are not refined enough to really notice the difference anyhow.

dsbock
05-20-2014, 10:41 AM
I love mine. I use it for daily carry (weather permitting).

Other than a FTF on the first magazine or two, it has fed everything I've run through the chamber. Cast, jacketed, and various hollowpoints with no problems.

David

scattershot
05-20-2014, 10:45 AM
I like them so much that I bought two. After I bought the first one, I sold my Kimber. The only mods to mine are replacement grips, and if it had come with the grips that they now do, I wouldn't even change those. I did paint the front sight white so I could see it, though.

The second one I bought had a somewhat sticky trigger, but I'm gradually getting that worked out. I bought my first one for $425.00, and the second for $350.00, on sale. Good buys, if you ask me.

My advice would be to just shoot yours for awhile as is, and you may find you don't need any mods, either.

Moonie
05-20-2014, 04:10 PM
We have several in the family, mine is the compact variant. Most have had replacement grips added.

seagiant
05-20-2014, 04:21 PM
Hi,
Thanks, well by mods I mean things like front strap checkering,dehorning entire gun taking off sharp edges everywhere and using jigs to polish internal sear and hammer contact surfaces. This is really cheap $$$ wise but labor intensive! For me it is just a part of enjoying these pistols!

I also want to switch the plastic flat MSH for a arched metal one and that should probably do it for me besides new grips and maybe a cerekote down the road.

No one has had any problems with the internal parts? Extractors,ejectors? Thanks!

scattershot
05-20-2014, 04:31 PM
Nope, no problems. I thought my slide lock was faulty, since I had to pull back the slide while operating it to release the slide, but they are designed that way, so you can't just drop the slide with the slide lock. My original trigger was sticky, as I mentioned, but I'm working that out. It works fine, but I don't have the trigger pull I would like yet.

seagiant
05-20-2014, 04:42 PM
Hi,
This is a pistol I built on a Caspian frame and a Brazilian Army Colt made slide! Internal parts are mostly Ed Brown. It is just a retro defense pistol, but totally reliable!

scattershot
05-20-2014, 06:49 PM
Looks good. You'll have a good time tinkering with that Rock.

woodsxdragon
05-20-2014, 07:00 PM
I've got a rock island compact. I've put 500 rounds in it. I'm the third owner and I know its got a 1000 so far. I really like it. The only mods I did was: Hogue wrap around grips, larger/textured slide release, and xgrip inserts on some full size mags.

Bohica793
05-20-2014, 07:00 PM
I carry a RIA compact 1911 tactical on a daily basis. I replaced the stock grips with a Hogue wrap and put a set of XS Big Dot sights on it. I have put close to 1,000 rounds through it with no indication of any failures. It is a great shooter and more accurate than I am.

Bored1
05-20-2014, 07:09 PM
I have the RIA compact model. Had some issues with not returning to battery when I first got it, after a completely free trip back to the factory with NO HASSLE WHAT SO EVER! (RIA pays shipping box ways) gun runs perfectly. I did add a set of checkered SIG grips and the barrel needed some throating, other than that I love it. MY favorite gun by a long shot as far as autoloaders go. Recommend them to everyone since I have been so incredibly pleased with mine!

seagiant
05-20-2014, 10:33 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the info! This is interesting,as I have a friend that works as a Gunsmith and he originally used Essex frames in the old days and now uses Rock Island! I see Colt pistols that are really nice looking but I don't really want to spend $1000!

A lot of you guys are carrying these pistols for self defense, so you trust them! I don't think you can reccomend them more than that! I will put up some pics when I get mine. I'm curious how it feels out of the box compared to my other 45, as it was built on the Caspian NM frame and was fitted and lapped in and is VERY nice and smooth?

http://gunner777.wordpress.com/category/rock-island-armory/

stu1ritter
05-21-2014, 07:53 AM
I have a RIA Target model bought about 4 years ago. Took it to my favorite 1911 smith and he didn't want to work on it. He told me that most aftermarket frames, other than STI, didn't have all the pins drilled absolutely perpendicular to the frame and made doing a trigger really hard. He took the gun and jigged it and was quite surprised that the hammer and sear pin were exactly as they should be. Two weeks later I got back one of the nicest shooting 1911's I've owned with a wonderful trigger. He thought the gun was pretty well made and for the price, a steal. Shooting it I found it would not feed semi wadcutters properly. Contacted RIA and shipped it to them. They modified it (early production) and sent it back. Shoots anything I put in it now and the repair was under warranty, cost me nothing. I have nothing but good to say about RIA 1911's. I was an Army small arms repairman, division level, in the 1st Cav and worked on hundreds of 1911's, so I do know the chassis a bit.
Stu

Thin Man
05-21-2014, 08:15 AM
About 2 years ago I had to look at a Rock Island Compact (45) that was new but had feeding issues. The owner had tried several different magazines and ammo but could not get through a full magazine of ammo without a feeding failure. The problem was in the extractor. It was fitted so tightly it refused to allow ammo to feed up into the barrel without fighting against the movement of the cartridge. I corrected the extractor and the pistol was trouble free from then on. If your pistol fails to feed reliably, take a close look at the extractor.

Thin Man

seagiant
05-21-2014, 10:16 AM
About 2 years ago I had to look at a Rock Island Compact (45) that was new but had feeding issues. The owner had tried several different magazines and ammo but could not get through a full magazine of ammo without a feeding failure. The problem was in the extractor. It was fitted so tightly it refused to allow ammo to feed up into the barrel without fighting against the movement of the cartridge. I corrected the extractor and the pistol was trouble free from then on. If your pistol fails to feed reliably, take a close look at the extractor.

Thin Man

Hi,
+1,the extractor for different reasons, is the culprit a LOT of times!

mold maker
05-21-2014, 02:04 PM
Only problem I've had was $$$ feeding it. No FTF. No stove pipes. Nothing. Just a reliable, inexpensive trustworthy defender.

dsbock
05-21-2014, 02:44 PM
Here's an older picture of mine with my standard loadout.

David

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k196/dsbock/Firearms/RIA-Loadout.jpg

Rio Grande
05-21-2014, 03:24 PM
Nope, no problems. I thought my slide lock was faulty, since I had to pull back the slide while operating it to release the slide, but they are designed that way, so you can't just drop the slide with the slide lock. My original trigger was sticky, as I mentioned, but I'm working that out. It works fine, but I don't have the trigger pull I would like yet.

They are not designed that way, mine works fine.

seagiant
05-21-2014, 03:32 PM
They are not designed that way, mine works fine.

Hi,
Yes! It should drop from the slide release,even though tactical training teaches to "slingshot" the rear of the slide for more positive release!

I just ordered a set of Ahrends DD ebony grips and a steel checkered arched MSH for the RIA! Looking forward to tuning it up!

scattershot
05-21-2014, 04:56 PM
My other 1911s operate that way, but neither of my Rocks does, and I was told they designed it that way.

seagiant
05-21-2014, 05:04 PM
My other 1911s operate that way, but neither of my Rocks does, and I was told they designed it that way.

Hi,
Well...I think every owner of a 1911 should buy this book! Has extensive explanations and troubleshooting info to find the reason something is not right. I have volumns 1&2 but #1 is the main gunsmithing info!

seagiant
05-29-2014, 11:38 PM
Hi,
Well my pistol is suppose to be in tomorrow,I'll take some pics!