PDA

View Full Version : So, what can I do?

DeanWinchester
05-20-2014, 10:11 AM
It started for me when Jim left. Others have gone. More are leaving. What can "I" do to change your mind?

There's a lot of fresh blood here now and lots of inexperience, myth and delusions about new fandangled ideas to do century old procedures. I know that can be frustrating. I for one know there is nothing new under the sun and what I have not yet learned is gathering dust between the ears of one of you older gentlemen, NOT in some new discovery but in REDISCOVERY.

I don't have a lot of what many consider 'friends' here. In real life, the wisest here wouldn't be inclined to speak to me based on appearance and initial impression. It's why I like it here and I have a list of people here that [to me] write uncanonized gospel on how I make, load and shoot my boolits.

Just know this you old farts, if you all leave, many of us are lost. If you can live with that, then I wish you all the best God and this life have to offer.

I'm abrasive, rude, asinine and NOT cast from the same mold as some of the more experienced gentlemen here. I am who I am. If I've offended any of you with any post I've ever made, I apologize. Feel free to point it out at any time. We may argue but in the end we can resolve it and I can continue to learn from you.

:castmine::castmine::castmine:

mold maker
05-20-2014, 11:29 AM
Well spoken and my feelings exactly.
We all learn better by mistakes, but we don't need to experience all of them first hand.
The more experienced among us, have already gained that knowledge. Please stay and share.

foesgth
05-20-2014, 12:37 PM
Well, I qualify as a newbie here. I got started casting a few years back when I couldn't find bullets for some of my "vintage" rifles. What a fun place. I found all my questions answered in the stickies. I have become addicted to casting.
However if you look at some of the replies to the current "It is my ball and I am taking it home" thread, you will see this
Lately it seems like the cast and blast group has taken over the site.. That seems to be the crux of most of the Adios threads. Cast and Blast...would that be anyone who is a SASS shooter? Accurate rifle shooters, do they shoot modern sporting rifles, classic military arms, blackpowder rifles? A buddy of mine uses some of the round balls I cast in his sling shot to hunt rabbits, should he be excluded from reading this site? Come on guys grow up. This isn't second grade. Not everyone is going to agree with you. Learn to ignore the idiots. If you ignore them they will go away.
Ok, rant over.

jakec
05-20-2014, 12:53 PM
I don't have a lot of what many consider 'friends' here. In real life, the wisest here wouldn't be inclined to speak to me based on appearance and initial impression. It's why I like it here and I have a list of people here that [to me] write uncanonized gospel on how I make, load and shoot my boolits.

Just know this you old farts, if you all leave, many of us are lost. If you can live with that, then I wish you all the best God and this life have to offer.

I'm abrasive, rude, asinine and NOT cast from the same mold as some of the more experienced gentlemen here. I am who I am. If I've offended any of you with any post I've ever made, I apologize. Feel free to point it out at any time. We may argue but in the end we can resolve it and I can continue to learn from you.

:castmine::castmine::castmine:

very well said. some of these guys have forgotten more than ill ever know. i hate to see them go.

AlaskanGuy
05-20-2014, 01:35 PM
I dont want to loose any of the senior members, as it just diminishes us all...

To me, I think the site was placed here to further our sport, to teach new folks what to do and why to do it, and to be an example to others with wisdom, and most important of all, Grace. Forgiveness, for those that need it, (dont we all) is the best we can do. Take a break, pause for the cause, and come home please, you are needed....

AlaskanGuy

PS.... If I am part of the problem, please let me know... PM works...

mikeym1a
05-20-2014, 03:08 PM
I have watched many of your posts. some of them are of the '...Huh?...' variety. I am not an oldtimer, here. My knowledge of firearms is inadequate. I have learned much since first coming here. I enjoy reading the posts. the newcomers need all of us to help them along. Recently I've been quite ill, which has left me with much reading time. I learn something every time I open the site. Personally, I need the knowledge of each and every member of this fraternity. Just try and remember what your folks taught you about civility. It costs little and gains much. Stick around. Some of your posts are quite entertaining. mikey

9w1911
05-20-2014, 03:33 PM
which Jim left?

DeanWinchester
05-20-2014, 03:35 PM
The one from Floyd Va. He's been gone a while now.

9w1911
05-20-2014, 03:38 PM
ok just checking there are a few Jims around here, thanks

MBTcustom
05-20-2014, 03:49 PM
Castboolits is like a lot of things in life. You get back what you put in.
It doesn't matter what you used to do here.
In this setting, I can look at your recent posts/recently started threads and tell whether you are here to learn/teach about cast boolits and help people, to make a profit, or to stir a political pot of BS.
If anybody isn't getting what they need here, look at your history and see if you are giving, taking, or floating.
This is easy: You get what you give. You reap what you sow.

gray wolf
05-20-2014, 04:33 PM
Learn to ignore the idiots. If you ignore them they will go away.
the problem is they do not go away, they try to take over, and many times they do.

geargnasher
05-20-2014, 04:41 PM
the problem is they do not go away, they try to take over, and many times they do.

This is the highest truth spoken here in months.

Gear

btroj
05-20-2014, 04:42 PM
This is the highest truth spoken here in months.

Gear

Precisely.

45 2.1
05-20-2014, 05:25 PM
+3..................

btroj
05-20-2014, 05:33 PM
In this setting, I can look at your recent posts/recently started threads and tell whether you are here to learn/teach about cast boolits and help people, to make a profit, or to stir a political pot of BS.
If anybody isn't getting what they need here, look at your history and see if you are giving, taking, or floating.

Seed requires far more than sowing to ensure a harvest. A fertile soil, proper watering, and warm weather are required.

Far too often a well sown field is treated with pre-emergent and nothing ever sprouts.

shooter93
05-20-2014, 05:43 PM
It's interesting and seems to be an internet thing. Years ago I wrote an occasional article for some magazines as a number of people here have. You'd get letters and often calls from people wanting to discuss whatever was written about and even the ones who didn't agree were very cordial and nice. You swapped ideas many times over and people learned. Now for some strange reason the internet "gives permission" for some people to be rude and demeaning to others they don't truly know. Will it get better? I doubt it but with a site this size you can still find a lot of good information and experiments and just pay no heed to the others.

AlaskanGuy
05-20-2014, 05:50 PM
+1 to these words of wisdom...

" and just pay no heed to the others."

Duckiller
05-20-2014, 06:45 PM
People shouldn't have to" pay no heed to the others". This was a friendly site that was polite to everyone. Serious discussions/fights were done via PMs. Lots of people have many more posts than I . some have been around for a lot less time. Ask yourself is this post necessary or am I just trying to up my post count.

Garyshome
05-20-2014, 07:07 PM
Just listen to the guys with the big hats!

Handloader109
05-20-2014, 07:10 PM
I'm new here, not new to guns having grown up hunting, and not a young man at 55, but recently started shooting Handguns again. Came across this site and became more and more interested in learning how to cast mainly due to lack of, and cost of Reloading supplies. Tried my hand and found that I can successfully cast boolits that I can actually shoot in my guns. I've asked questions and for the most part, received intelligent and useful information and answers. This is a very good site and overall excellent resource for casting. That said, I have most probably antagonized several members and probably shouldn't have responded to the posts. But I don't normally go to pit area or for that matter here that much. And I will be more ignoring of posts in the future. I hope to continue to learn more about casting and offer my opinions with some modicum of knowledge when the time comes. I do think that if you have problems with others, and cannot resolve the issue then maybe you should go, at least for a while. I'm not telling anyone to go, or stay for that matter. One, member who recently stated that he was leaving hasn't posted anything of casting nature this entire year, over 200 posts of social issues. Is he really that valuable to me as a new caster? In my opinion, I'll not miss him. Sorry for my callousness, just being honest. I do think that certain areas might be eliminated and it might be a better place, but then maybe not. Sure isn't my decision.

Cactus Farmer
05-20-2014, 07:18 PM
I too, wonder if I had anything to do with folks leaving.......I've had my feeling hurt, got hopping mad, had a few PM battles, a few phone calls and visited a few members homes. I haven't been a member for ages but I chime in if I have knowledge to share. I started casting when I was 12. An old WW2 vet was my mentor. I'm 65 now and I'm still learning from you guys. If all the high post count members leave, I'll be the leader and Lord knows that wouldn't be a good thing.

10x
05-21-2014, 08:52 AM
Funny thing, - this is the most drama I have seen here.
I have no idea of what ticked folks off so as to leave. All I have found is a great source of information on how to cast a better more accurate bullet.
There are some really kind, sharing, and knowledgeable people here - what exactly is ticking them off?

Bloodman14
05-21-2014, 09:10 AM
After reading the "I'm Done" threads, I have a suggestion; before a person becomes a member who is allowed to post (yes, ALLOWED to post), they should be made to read the Classics and Stickies (how many times has THAT been advised?!). Just as in Swappin' and Sellin', or the Political and Religious discussions. I am not sure how this could be brought about, but I would think there would be a method to log the visits to the 'C & S' by the candidate. I realize that would make us seem to be an 'exclusive' club, but it would put an end to the same questions being asked for the 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 time. In so doing, I think the older and wiser among us would be free to pursue this endeavor with more dedication and enthusiasm instead of trying to help the instant gratification crowd. This is my say, for what it's worth.

DeanWinchester
05-21-2014, 09:21 AM
I'm very guilty of the repeat question. Before the search upgrade, we all have to admit, the search function was horrible here! Horrible! I could never find anything. It is working much better now so maybe everyone can forgive and forget the repeated questions and move on? I know I've been wearing the search feature out and reading a lot of old threads. It's also taken me time to learn who knows stuff here and who's like me and don't know squat. In that time, I've taken to searching individual members posts. Felix, Goodsteel, & Ben to name a few. I've found answers to questions I hadn't even asked yet.....but would have! When I first got here, I didn't know these people were that dang smart. Lol! Now I do.

Message to disgruntled: Some of the more ignorant of us have no way of knowing when we first get here how to use this place. Forgive the ignorant in search of knowledge. Now the plain stupid idiots that sling poo against the wall and repeatedly click refresh to watch the reaction; they need to feel the crushing weight of the Ban Hammer.

WILCO
05-21-2014, 10:07 AM

I agree Tim.
All of us can make a difference here, at a moments notice.
Conduct your affairs in a gentlemanly fashion, self moderate and challenge ideas/concepts in a respectful manner.
It really is that easy. I haven't always done it before, but now that I'm aware, there's no going back.

Have a great day folks.

DeanWinchester
05-21-2014, 10:12 AM
I agree Tim.
All of us can make a difference here, at a moments notice.
Conduct your affairs in a gentlemanly fashion, self moderate and challenge ideas/concepts in a respectful manner.
It really is that easy. I haven't always done it before, but now that I'm aware, there's no going back.

Have a great day folks.

It REALLY is that simple ain't it.
If everyone read that post and followed it word for word.....problem solved.

Bad Water Bill
05-21-2014, 01:04 PM
Not everything I post has anything to do with casting or guns.

In Jan of last year We here in Illinois finally had a chance to get a CCW law on the books.

I Called 45NUT and bounced several ideas off of him.

Then I started a discussion in "OUR TOWN" and probably raised my post count by 1,000 just answering folks questions.

No I do not have a clue just how the internet works but others helped out and yes we now have CCW in Illinois.

Did my blathering help?

From the responses I received at the site Ken told me to suggest YES C B did.

Yes that was in "OUR TOWN",NO it had nothing to do with casting BUT MOST of us consider this our home and that topic DID make it safer for ALL 60+ Illinois residents here.

slim1836
05-21-2014, 01:15 PM
I too miss the wisdom of those that have left and value the contributions thay have made.

I am not one of the contributors as I still have a lot to learn. I do visit and read a lot.

Slim

Hardcast416taylor
05-21-2014, 01:42 PM
I didn`t get as old as I am by being plain stoopid! Yes, I completely agree that I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer nor the brightest light bulb in the attic! Yet I have melted a pound or so of lead over the last 50+ years of casting and have learned a thing or three about lead, other than it is HOT when melted. I recount many stories of my life here in my posts to either make a point or augment a point of the thread in progress. Do I have a thin skin? At times I do indeed have a thin skin on certain topics that people jump me about and my feelings can be hurt. I have thought several times about jumping ship from this site, but continue to remain to try and help out the newbee if I can.Robert

AggieEE
05-21-2014, 01:48 PM
Something we need to keep in mind is that when talking face to face we get a lot of information from tone of voice and facial expressons. Here on the forum we don't have that information so it is easy for a comment to be misunderstood. Add in a bad day in general and maybe a touchy ego and a flame war erupts. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Just my $.02

Buck Neck It
05-21-2014, 03:24 PM
The new search function changes everything. Makes it easier for me anyways. I am sure that I can still think up a dumb question.

So the old guys never got lead smeared in their barrel?

Bad Water Bill
05-21-2014, 03:33 PM
The new search function changes everything. Makes it easier for me anyways. I am sure that I can still think up a dumb question.

Not that we would ever admit to.:bigsmyl2:

Now if you want to learn how to get it out we probably have AT LEAST 10 ways of doing that.

357shooter
05-21-2014, 03:38 PM

I think the old guys know what works, and also what doesn't. For every item on the "works" list there are probably 10 on the "doesn't work" list.

That's what made them old! The school of hard knocks. :smile::smile::smile:

DeanWinchester
05-21-2014, 03:42 PM
Not that we would ever admit to.:bigsmyl2:

Now if you want to learn how to get it out we probably have AT LEAST 10 ways of doing that.

Now that's interesting. A man never gets leading because he's always done it right....but he knows the most obscure and arcane rituals for removing lead that are guaranteed to work. Hmmmm:kidding:

454PB
05-21-2014, 04:02 PM
I think the newbies and younger guys ARE the future of this and many other gun related forums. As an old guy that has been casting and handloading for over 40 years, it doesn't bother me a bit to see the same question posted over and over.

What does bother me is seeing an old guy (expert) saying his way is the ONLY way and intimidating the newer guys.

Bad Water Bill
05-21-2014, 04:34 PM
Now that's interesting. A man never gets leading because he's always done it right....but he knows the most obscure and arcane rituals for removing lead that are guaranteed to work. Hmmmm:kidding:

Nope I am never going to reveal the steps and chant to the sacred anti leading dance.

That shaman charged me 8 beaver dollars and 3 buffalo robes for that secret then he road over to wounded knee never to be seen again.

MaryB
05-21-2014, 11:28 PM
Having taught how to use Google to older adults(50+) I can honestly say that no matter how good the search engine some people just don't get it! Plus while I was teaching it reinforced what I knew, everyone learns differently, some via reading, others via hands on with help over their shoulder, others via pictures or videos, some via all of the above!

So when someone asks a question in the sticky I just answer them, sometimes wording things differently can make a light bulb come on and they get it. Some just want reassurance that they read it right. Others read it, may have looked at pictures and it still doesn't make sense and they need hand holding to figure it out. Patience is the key, there is no such thing as a stupid question! Especially when dealing with something that could explode your gun if done wrong.

.45Cole
05-22-2014, 02:46 AM
Truth be told, the people who left probably still look in on the place. There is no place out there like castboolits (unless they started another one) and we need to keep it around. If the atmosphere changes, I don't see why they wouldn't come back; unless pride plays into it and I understand that. Let newbies post "What's the best load for my .45 colt," we can refer them to tried loads and the stickies.

We can offer an example of how to conduct one's self in somebody else's house ('cause most of us don't own the site). I think that is what many of the people upset with the path of the site are angry about (?). I think that there are many great things about this place, and if we shine it up a bit, some may return.
Remember, they're bitten and VERY addicted to boolits:lovebooli

Olevern
05-22-2014, 07:29 AM
Something we need to keep in mind is that when talking face to face we get a lot of information from tone of voice and facial expressons. Here on the forum we don't have that information so it is easy for a comment to be misunderstood. . Just my $.02

When posters call you an A.H. in a post, there is no way to misinterpret that!

I've been called that, been accused of being a hoarder for trying to order three different kinds of powder in the same order, had it stated that I was trying to maliciously put someone out of business because I tried to warn others here of shady business practices, had it stated that I was being unreasonable when a business charged my card and then a week later emailed me that the product that they had sold me they subsequently sold to a walk in customer in their store (didn't get my money back for weeks after that)Oh, and in the same thread where I was a hoarder for trying to get the powder I needed, It was stated that if I had stocked up ahead of the crunch and was prepared I wouldn't have had a problem; so, at the same time I was being accused of being a hoarder I was foolish for not having been a hoarder; and, this all in one thread.

Don't need the drama; so I simply don't post unless it is to encourage someone who is going thru a difficult life situation: hopefully that will not bring out the flamers, although I'm not completely convinced of that.

Don't stop by often anymore; got more important things to do than watch childish, disrespectful internet Rambos go at it with each other.

garym1a2
05-22-2014, 08:07 AM
I am an addicted too.

I don't let peoples petty squables affect me, I don't let myself loose my temper. Th

Truth be told, the people who left probably still look in on the place. There is no place out there like castboolits (unless they started another one) and we need to keep it around. If the atmosphere changes, I don't see why they wouldn't come back; unless pride plays into it and I understand that. Let newbies post "What's the best load for my .45 colt," we can refer them to tried loads and the stickies.

We can offer an example of how to conduct one's self in somebody else's house ('cause most of us don't own the site). I think that is what many of the people upset with the path of the site are angry about (?). I think that there are many great things about this place, and if we shine it up a bit, some may return.
Remember, they're bitten and VERY addicted to boolits:lovebooli

slim1836
05-24-2014, 11:22 AM
I am here to learn from the wisdom of others, I can skip over posts that do not interest me.

I could not have built my P.I.D. and check maker without the help of others. I would never have heard about powder coating had it been not for this site. This list goes on. This is still the best site for the subject of casting, reloading, etc...

I for one am very thankful to all who made this available and also to all whose contributions I have benefitted from.

Slim

TXGunNut
05-24-2014, 12:29 PM
I'm fairly new but spend a lot of time here, longtime loader but casting is still new and fascinating to me. Have lots to learn here but I'm happy to pass on what I've learned of the basics and the cartridges I'm familiar with.
This place is like any town of 33,000; we have our leaders, misfits, givers, takers, wise men, and idiots. Some come, some go. I'll miss some but the town will live on without them.
What can you do? You can be the kind of person you want to find here.
With apologies to the original author I'd like to tell a story, I'm sure he told it better but I'll do the best I can:
There once was an old woman sitting on a bench at a bus station. A newcomer sat down beside her and asked her if she was a local. She replied that she had been born nearby and lived there all her life. He asked her what kind of town it was and she replied by asking him what kind of town he was from. He answered that he was from a town where good folks lived and worked and there were all kinds of good and exciting things to do. She told him that his new hometown was very much like his old. This pleased the newcomer and he went on his way.
Later, another newcomer asked the same woman about her town. She again asked about where he was from. He said couldn't wait to leave that awful place, almost everyone there was crooked and evil and there was no way he could live in a place like that again. She told him her town was pretty much like that as well.

MBTcustom
05-24-2014, 12:56 PM
There once was an old woman sitting on a bench at a bus station. A newcomer sat down beside her and asked her if she was a local. She replied that she had been born nearby and lived there all her life. He asked her what kind of town it was and she replied by asking him what kind of town he was from. He answered that he was from a town where good folks lived and worked and there were all kinds of good and exciting things to do. She told him that his new hometown was very much like his old. This pleased the newcomer and he went on his way.
Later, another newcomer asked the same woman about her town. She again asked about where he was from. He said couldn't wait to leave that awful place, almost everyone there was crooked and evil and there was no way he could live in a place like that again. She told him her town was pretty much like that as well.

There's a lot of wisdom in this.

Olevern
05-24-2014, 06:30 PM

Castboolits is like a lot of things in life. You get back what you put in

I respectfully beg to disagree with you, particularly with regard to Jim from Floyd.

He gave and gave and gave only to be repeatedly disrespected.

Would be nice if what you wrote held true to life, but it doesn't always....as one once said "in a perfect world".

I hesitate to disagree with you, goodsteel, because I have a great respect for you and your presence here on this board, but inasmuch as Jim was mentioned above, I feel I must defend him.

MBTcustom
05-25-2014, 02:14 AM
Castboolits is like a lot of things in life. You get back what you put in

I respectfully beg to disagree with you, particularly with regard to Jim from Floyd.

He gave and gave and gave only to be repeatedly disrespected.

Would be nice if what you wrote held true to life, but it doesn't always....as one once said "in a perfect world".

I hesitate to disagree with you, goodsteel, because I have a great respect for you and your presence here on this board, but inasmuch as Jim was mentioned above, I feel I must defend him.

I sure do miss Jim. As it happens I just called him today on the phone, but no answer. He's probably out getting his coon rig ready. LOL!

TXGunNut
05-25-2014, 02:19 AM
Yes, Jim is a treasure, truly a salt-of-the-earth type and his bride is an awesome person as well. I miss him too.

TheDoctor
05-25-2014, 03:02 PM
If you do get him on the phone, tell him "Hi".

DeanWinchester
05-25-2014, 04:29 PM
Tell him he is missed.

MBTcustom
05-25-2014, 05:05 PM
I did communicate your thoughts to him when we spoke last, and asked him to come back over, but he made it clear that he has just changed the way he does things. He has a blog that he posts up his latest experiments on and he's having a good time with that format.
The most important thing is that Jim is happy, and healthy, and for all intents and purposes, is living the dream according to Jim.
Come to think of it, so am I! LOL!
That's what it's all about fellers. Live for yourself, your way and if you're happy with that, then you might post up your thoughts to encourage others to do the same. Long as you're happy, you win either way.

slim1836
05-31-2014, 10:34 AM
How about a link to his blog?

Slim

Love Life
05-31-2014, 10:36 AM
Ya'll could send Jim an old fashioned letter...

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-31-2014, 10:49 AM
How about a link to his blog?

Slim

http://floydpics.wordpress.com/
it looks like Jim has been busythese last few days.

slim1836
05-31-2014, 11:43 AM
Thanks,

Slim

MBTcustom
05-31-2014, 12:29 PM
Sorry, just got back to this thread just now.
See? Told ya he's having fun. LOL!